4.6 SN95 w/ PI cams & intake 1st time at track

LI98GT

Reaction score
Went to Atco raceway in NJ this past friday with some fellow stangers and ran the 1/4 mile for the first time. Got about 9 runs in with my last 3 runs with 14.3x times. Best run posted below [email protected]. I had an awesome time and see why and how it can be so addicting. Definately have more respect to 1/4 milers as there is a lot more to it than meets the eye i.e. burnouts, staging/tree, taking off, shift points. I think I made most or all the rookie mistakes. FYI, My car had all interior, stock tires/wheels, and about a 1/2 tank of gas. Questions/comments welcome!

QuarterMileRun.jpg

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
Did you hook well off the line? Not bad times but I think there is room for improvement :) congrats ;)

OP
OP
L

LI98GT

Reaction score
Snakebit said:
Did you hook well off the line? Not bad times but I think there is room for improvement :) congrats ;)

Thanks and no, not really too well. I was taking off about 2krpm and rear tire pressure was 30lbs. Probably should have tried dropping the take off revs and tire pressure a few little I guess.

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
That's a good start.
It is fun stuff isn't it :)

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
not bad...what was the 60 time?... Im thinking about going this wednesday...Ill probably run similar times I know last time I went my 60 was crap

OP
OP
L

LI98GT

Reaction score
justinschmidt1 said:
not bad...what was the 60 time?... Im thinking about going this wednesday...Ill probably run similar times I know last time I went my 60 was crap

60' was 2.021 (sheet up above).

I've attached the vid link to one of my runs. Lined up next to my bud with an Stage 3 roush that ran a best of 12.66 with DRs in only his second time at the track. Couple of newbies we are...

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
damn..I wish that was my 60..haha...I ran a 14.6 at 96 with like a 2.25 60...pre pi intake

OP
OP
L

LI98GT

Reaction score
justinschmidt1 said:
damn..I wish that was my 60..haha...I ran a 14.6 at 96 with like a 2.25 60...pre pi intake

Spinning away huh? Should be knock off a few tenths with better 60s. Do you think your 60 foot was due to track prep, launch rpm, or maybe tires or tire pressure? Did you do a burnout? My last 3 runs came after I was able to do proper burnouts in the burnout box.

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
That's a pretty decent 60' for stock wheels/tires. Good job.

Can you provide a full mod list?

ripper

Reaction score
LI98GT said:
justinschmidt1 said:

Spinning away huh? Should be knock off a few tenths with better 60s. Do you think your 60 foot was due to track prep, launch rpm, or maybe tires or tire pressure? Did you do a burnout? My last 3 runs came after I was able to do proper burnouts in the burnout box.

You dont want to do a burnout with street tires. And dont drive threw the water you will get water on your fronts and will transfer to backs on launch. Actually if you do a burnout with street rubber it makes little rubber pellets on your tires which make you spin easier. Best thing on street rubber is go around water and spin just enough to clean them off.

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
well..im auto...bad 60 could be cause im auto..but I think I should be faster thant 2.25...maybe its cause I have bad front 02s...could be causing a loss in torque without propor a/f

OP
OP
L

LI98GT

Reaction score
Stevo said:
At Atco, there is no choice but to go through the water, although I did try to avoid the wettest looking areas, so I ultimately felt that I should hold out a longer burnout since they were undoubtedly wet. There is a cement wall with two openings that both cars go through to approach the lanes so there is no way around it. To clarify what "proper burnout" meant to me, it was in reference to street tires holding the burnout for a few seconds, not the tire smoking variety that leaves big clouds of smoke. Coincidence or not, I made my best runs and 60fts, doing a longer burn out than I had been doing previously, which was just the quick clean off variety.

Stevo, I will definitely go with your advice if I'm at other tracks that allow the drive around method.

ripper

Reaction score
Im in point pleasant beach thats about half way between both racewak pk and atco. Let me know next time you go ill meet up with you. I race at englishtown (nazi tracklol) But id like to go down atco ive never been there. Englishtown is all bracket racing and autos kick ass. ATCO has heads up which id like to try. I race the Sunoco Super Challenge point series at Englishtown. I run the Street ET class. First race is may 27th. DO NOT go to englishtown to race on these days or any other Sunday. There are so many races going on you will be lucky to get 3 passes in and that will take all day. Wed nights are ok but its no muffler night and there are alot of trailer queens. You get to see some very fast cars though. Friday nights are best. All guys like me and you. Mufflered cars only. Its a good time. Lots of stangs there and good peeps.

OP
OP
L

LI98GT

Reaction score
Stevo, you are soo lucky to be so close to a couple of tracks. I am out in Suffolk County Long Island, so it's quite a haul to get out to Jersey and especially Atco, near Philly. To give you an idea, it took me about 4 hours on the return from Atco to get back home and about 2.5 hours to get there. There was a reason that it was my first time at the track. I went with a local club here, which added to the fun factor and they are looking to go again in the Fall. Will PM you with details on that, but if I can get out before then to maybe Etown, would like to do that as well.

ripper

Reaction score
Ive talked with the guys at englishtown about having a tri state sn95forums meet there in sept. They said they could accomadate us and throw in a few freebies. Woud cost like 10 bucks a person. And a few free passes for each car. Another option would be a track rental at ATCO, but that would limit the number of cars to 15 and cost way more. Ill get serious about it in august and work it all out. Bob (drop top pony) and Greg are close to me and im sure they will have some input.

OP
OP
L

LI98GT

Reaction score
Stevo said:
Ive talked with the guys at englishtown about having a tri state sn95forums meet there in sept. They said they could accomadate us and throw in a few freebies. Woud cost like 10 bucks a person. And a few free passes for each car. Another option would be a track rental at ATCO, but that would limit the number of cars to 15 and cost way more. Ill get serious about it in august and work it all out. Bob (drop top pony) and Greg are close to me and im sure they will have some input.

OK. Let know if you guys settle on something.

OP
OP
L

LI98GT

Reaction score
Paul said:
That's a pretty decent 60' for stock wheels/tires. Good job.

Can you provide a full mod list?

Sorry, missed this. Full mod list is included in my sig with Performance mods below. I think the better 60ft times came from heating up the F1 a little bit and the fact that they are F1, not the stock GT gatorbacks which didn't grip on the street for me, so I can imagine what it would have been like on the track.

Performance mods: '02 PI cams and PI intake, 3:90 Motive Gears, Steeda Pulleys, Bassani X w/cats, FRPP SS Catback, Densecharger TB tube, K&N no silencer, 180 deg t-stat, Chrome Cobra '03 Rims with stock Cobra tires (Goodyear F1s).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdude138

Members online