4.6 supercharger build

OP
OP
Rolltide1006

Rolltide1006

Reaction score
Well, [MENTION=19540]Rolltide1006[/MENTION] how did the weekend turn out for you?

Hey Warrior, ya the folks at worldpac sent me two of the same motor mount lol (I work at a European shop lol worldpac is convenient). Got that problem solved yesterday. Now I am waiting on the new ARP flywheel and crank pulley bolts (I'm an idiot and didn't realize they were torque to yield until yesterday [emoji16]). I'm hoping to have an open bay after work tonight to at least drop the motor in and start throwing pumps back on and start the harness fun [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Hey Warrior, ya the folks at worldpac sent me two of the same motor mount lol (I work at a European shop lol worldpac is convenient). Got that problem solved yesterday. Now I am waiting on the new ARP flywheel and crank pulley bolts (I'm an idiot and didn't realize they were torque to yield until yesterday [emoji16]). I'm hoping to have an open bay after work tonight to at least drop the motor in and start throwing pumps back on and start the harness fun [emoji1303]

Get parts where you can! You should have just ordered some maximum motorsports solid engine mounts and called it a day!

Make sure to take pictures for us.

OP
OP
Rolltide1006

Rolltide1006

Reaction score
Get parts where you can! You should have just ordered some maximum motorsports solid engine mounts and called it a day!

Make sure to take pictures for us.

lol I was thinking solid mounts, but thought that would be too much for a daily driver.

And will do!

OP
OP
Rolltide1006

Rolltide1006

Reaction score
solid mounts are no problem at all. I've got about 3k miles on mine. They feel great

Lol should asked before hamd! Damn it, well I will replace these with those down the road.

OP
OP
Rolltide1006

Rolltide1006

Reaction score
0acc4c1e266ff4347e4f6fddc344aada.jpg

a4c751c61e0eee347e41af60f9f1ceaf.jpg

All in place! Will finish up next week :)

OP
OP
Rolltide1006

Rolltide1006

Reaction score
8f0fa90f3ee27435c7f4718d82ff71b1.jpg

2d1a93d7ba27f2e1e1e20c0ce7789b8c.jpg

a67f48a1362db13abbac734772b7bf5e.jpg

c67618b0fea731a5484d66042d77dd53.jpg

Almost there! Now if the power steering pulley would cooperate going back on!

OP
OP
Rolltide1006

Rolltide1006

Reaction score
Cooperate?....goodluck with that!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Lol ya I have the tool to uninstall and install the pulley. I used silicone lube (very light) to lube the inside of the pulley and then the shaft of the pump. As I was tightening down, the stud of the tool that screws into the PS shaft kept coming loose as I went along. I then noticed the PS pressure line that goes from the pump to the booster is leaking at the pump. The nut is tight but I believe it's worn out because it has never been changed. Waiting on the new line for tomorrow and try to reinstall the pulley again.

98snakehorse

Reaction score
She lives!!!! Idle is a little low, definitely needs that tune, but it idles pretty darn good for being a stock tune.

https://youtu.be/qSAZ6r_7w3U

Wow I'm glad you posted some good detailed shot of the process of installing these. I was a little confused with what to do with the rocker arms upon installation of the cams. I see some people that bolted the cams down on top of the rocker arms and some that installed the rocker arms after the cams were bolted on.

Also I lol'd at the end "My car look good @ night" :)

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Wow I'm glad you posted some good detailed shot of the process of installing these. I was a little confused with what to do with the rocker arms upon installation of the cams. I see some people that bolted the cams down on top of the rocker arms and some that installed the rocker arms after the cams were bolted on.

Also I lol'd at the end "My car look good @ night" :)

Put all your followers in place and bolt the cam down evenly on top of them. Its the easiest way.

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Ahh glad to here you say that lol I did it that way on my Supra a few years ago and it worked out fine.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

Thats how Ive always done mine lol. I did the screwdriver thing a couple times but if you dont squeeze all the oil out of the lash adjuster it is damn near impossible to get them to go in.

OP
OP
Rolltide1006

Rolltide1006

Reaction score
Ahh glad to here you say that lol I did it that way on my Supra a few years ago and it worked out fine.

Lol! Ya I learned the hard way. I first bolted the cams down and tried the screwdriver trick with installing the followers on the lash adjusters. No bueno with my setup haha. If it was all stock valves and cams it would have worked.

So I took the CMS cams back out, installed the lash adjusters and followers. Then bolted the cams down. Key was to make sure all pistons were below the deck and then just work the cam bolts down in sequence, little by little until bottomed out. Then torque to spec in the same sequence :)

98snakehorse

Reaction score
Lol! Ya I learned the hard way. I first bolted the cams down and tried the screwdriver trick with installing the followers on the lash adjusters. No bueno with my setup haha. If it was all stock valves and cams it would have worked.

So I took the CMS cams back out, installed the lash adjusters and followers. Then bolted the cams down. Key was to make sure all pistons were below the deck and then just work the cam bolts down in sequence, little by little until bottomed out. Then torque to spec in the same sequence :)

Great info! Crank Keyway at the 9oclock position = All the pistons below the ptv contact area

OP
OP
Rolltide1006

Rolltide1006

Reaction score
Great info! Crank Keyway at the 9oclock position = All the pistons below the ptv contact area

If memory serves me correctly yes. But to be sure, use a long 1/4 extension or something similar and insert in the empty spark plug hole of cylinder 1. Do this with piston #1 at TDC and watch the extension as you move the crank to the 9 o'clock position. Best way to know for sure where the piston is is the extension trick [emoji1303] also don't drop the extension in. No nicking the pistons lol

98snakehorse

Reaction score
I'd like to open the discussion regarding the timing chain tension again for just a second. Last night before I put my timing cover back on I turned the motor over a few times just to double check everything is in working order. I did notice however that every once in awhile while turning the crank "Clockwise" that the passenger side chain on the guide side would get some slight slack for just a second similar to the way Rolltie's photos showed and would then go tight again. I tried holding the cam and extending the ratchet out on the tensioner and it worked however it seem way too tight at that point. I would really just like some assurance here but I ended up releasing the ratchet so that it was back the way it was originally. My thoughts are that the chain had a loose spot for just a second because the tensioners are not yet primed of oil. Please tell me I'm right cause the entire motor is back together lol.

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
I would have put the ratchets out very close to the tensioner arms just to make sure they never get slack. Your chains will have some slack because the tensioners are free of oil and relying only on the springs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online