4.6 supercharger build

98snakehorse

Reaction score
I would have put the ratchets out very close to the tensioner arms just to make sure they never get slack. Your chains will have some slack because the tensioners are free of oil and relying only on the springs.

That makes me fell better lol. Yes the ratchets are extended enough so that it shouldnt be able to skip timing if the tensioners fail. I know that if I had the ratchets extended how I did though it would be way to tight and have a constant tight pressure on the guides which I know is no good.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
That makes me fell better lol. Yes the ratchets are extended enough so that it shouldnt be able to skip timing if the tensioners fail. I know that if I had the ratchets extended how I did though it would be way to tight and have a constant tight pressure on the guides which I know is no good.

You got it. I wouldnt be worried at all.

OP
OP
Rolltide1006

Rolltide1006

Reaction score
I'd like to open the discussion regarding the timing chain tension again for just a second. Last night before I put my timing cover back on I turned the motor over a few times just to double check everything is in working order. I did notice however that every once in awhile while turning the crank "Clockwise" that the passenger side chain on the guide side would get some slight slack for just a second similar to the way Rolltie's photos showed and would then go tight again. I tried holding the cam and extending the ratchet out on the tensioner and it worked however it seem way too tight at that point. I would really just like some assurance here but I ended up releasing the ratchet so that it was back the way it was originally. My thoughts are that the chain had a loose spot for just a second because the tensioners are not yet primed of oil. Please tell me I'm right cause the entire motor is back together lol.

Hey man, ya same thing happened to me. If you ratchet out the tensioner and it's too tight, back off 1 tooth on the tensioner. You will still notice a very small slap on the timing guide side opposite of the tensioner as you rotate by hand, but this is fine because Once the motor is fired up oil pressure will take out the minuscule amount of slack that was left in the chain. My pics are when it was wayyyy loose lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
What all these guys stated ^. Good info!

The intermittent chain slack you mentioned are valve spring tentions on the cam forcing the cam to rotate within that chain slack. Be sure the chain was pretty tight when degreeing cams. If they are stock, no worries.

One thing i advise everyone....do not rotate the engine backwards when installing.

The crank sprockets, being smaller dont hold the chain well and that slack we on subject about will pull the chain a tooth. Keep the engine rotation correct.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Rolltide1006

Rolltide1006

Reaction score
I noticed my cable frayed at the handle. Wonder how much longer itll last.

Haha no telling. It is a ticking time bomb, that we both know. Just be very easy and careful with it lol

98snakehorse

Reaction score
Havnt even looked at mine but I just slam the handle back everytime I use it and hope for the best lol

OP
OP
Rolltide1006

Rolltide1006

Reaction score
Havnt even looked at mine but I just slam the handle back everytime I use it and hope for the best lol

Haha that's what I did and POW! I about yanked that sucker through the roof. It's all fixed now but I found out about a recall that they did to the adjustment part of the handle. I still couldn't get all the slack out of the new line so I had to come up with a fix. A couple of barrel swivels later and some pressing action from a vice and wallah! Good to go and much better than before I broke it :)

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
YES! Sounds stupid mean! Beats my jollopy straight pipes. I got that authentic race car sound. Or farm truck sound, but either way once the rpms are up the race car comes out and the tune is awesome! I bet yours sound wicked in the rpms!

OP
OP
Rolltide1006

Rolltide1006

Reaction score
YES! Sounds stupid mean! Beats my jollopy straight pipes. I got that authentic race car sound. Or farm truck sound, but either way once the rpms are up the race car comes out and the tune is awesome! I bet yours sound wicked in the rpms!

Sounds great on the highway! Will be getting the car tuned in a few weeks. In that time I am installing the long tubes :))))) hoping for 285 hp at the wheels with bolt ons, the cams and a tune. Fingers crossed

NEURON

Reaction score
That idle sound is awesome! Like the good old days before smog crap.

OP
OP
Rolltide1006

Rolltide1006

Reaction score
You need this moved to the build thread section lol. I always have a hard time finding it.

6bd116ea7df7ea9df712e2ad5a616863.jpg

I’m back and tuned up :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online