4.6 To 5.0 swap?

Josh97Stang

Reaction score
Im in need of advice. I have a Blown 97 with a 5.4 swap, an a mild built 302 laying around. With a kid on the way i just need to get it back on the road as fast an cheap as possible. My questioin is what all would it take it to do a carbed 302 swap, i know ill need a t5 an kmember but what what do i need fuel an cooling wise?

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
My question to you is, why the hurry to get it on the road because you have "a" kid on the way? Sorry to impose, but mang...the kid will love you regardless if the car is running great or not. No worries mang.

To answer your question

Replace the 5.4l,...much easier!!

Whats happened? Rod failure? Tells us your mods

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
I'd sell the 5.0 on craigslist and pick up a used 5.4 with the cash u make. I think the transactions will be less effort than trying to swap everything over

DavidBoren

Reaction score
I think replacing or repairing the 5.4 will be cheaper, faster, and easier in the long run. A carb'ed five-oh, the motor itself, is a pretty straightforward affair to swap in. But you need a new fuel system, tune out and delete a lot from the computers and wiring harnesses, the list adds up fast, and there are potential problems and little bugs that will surely have to be worked out.

If it was running recently, as in the 5.4 swap was successful and had all the bugs worked out before the engine failed, I think it would behoove you to just put in another 5.4 motor.

RichV

Reaction score
Ya, why not just fix the mod motor? Or replace it?

OP
OP
Josh97Stang

Josh97Stang

Reaction score
Timing chain went out eatin a spot out in the front of the block im going to pull it here shortly to take a better look at it but im worried about metal shavings. as for finding another one id be lookin at about 2k just to find one with 100k miles. Im still debating but if the inside of this motor ends up looking ruff it would seem like a 302 swap would be much cheaper?

RichV

Reaction score
It would be *cheaper* in the short-run. I wouldn't do it, you'll loose $ in the long run. Selling it will be a bear IMO, with smog laws plus a bunch of one-off conversion parts will turn away a lot of buyers.

http://denver.craigslist.org/ptd/4855185238.html these guys advertise locally for reman'd modulars under $2K, I'm sure you can find something used cheaper than that.

JKady

Reaction score
5.4's go for 800-1200 out of the junkyards around here all day long.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UnknownArmy

Members online