4-link?????

95gtconversion

Reaction score
To start I have a 95 GT 5 speed coupe with edlebrock performer heads and intake, crower .500 lift cam, 1.65 ratio roller rockers, and a slight over bore putting it to a 306

Has anyone on here ever tried 4 link or other non stock rear suspension setups?

Reason I'm asking is because my car could use some upgrades as it is and 4-link has been in the back of my mind for a while now. I'm currently running 315-35-17 nt05r radials but after reading a different thread I intend to go to slicks for the track, car shows, and "road trips" :grin: but with that in mind I want to have enough clearance for a 12.5 or 10.5 hoosier or mickey Thompson slick depending on where my car falls class wise as I continue to build it. End goal.... RUN 9'S in the 1/4 with more mods as time goes on

07GtS197

Reaction score
Your car already has a 4 link setup. You can get adjustable upper and lower control arms with adjustable coilovers and be golden once you dial it in.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Yea they come with a 4-link. For what you are looking for a Torque arm/Panhard Bar setup might be more beneficial.

OP
OP
95gtconversion

95gtconversion

Reaction score
Fair enough... thought it was a different type of setup

My knowledge of suspension is kinda $hit anyway otherwise I probably wouldn't even be asking this question

07GtS197

Reaction score
We're just teasing you bro its cool.

lca's wont interfere with tire clearance but the quad shocks could. I dont remember if the sn95s had them but if you do theyll be literally right behind the tire. Remove them.

As far as suspension goes, double adjustable lowers and uppers and either drag springs or coilovers for the rear. Another alternative is to go with a 3 link setup with a panhard bar, like stated above, but I have no knowledge of how well they work in these cars. But a good set of uppers and lowers will keep you straight and planted going down the track.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score

lca's wont interfere with tire clearance but the quad shocks could. I dont remember if the sn95s had them but if you do theyll be literally right behind the tire. Remove them.

As far as suspension goes, double adjustable lowers and uppers and either drag springs or coilovers for the rear. Another alternative is to go with a 3 link setup with a panhard bar, like stated above, but I have no knowledge of how well they work in these cars. But a good set of uppers and lowers will keep you straight and planted going down the track.

Hard to beat a PHB/Torque Arm setup, or a Watt's Link/Torque Arm setup for any situation.

OP
OP
95gtconversion

95gtconversion

Reaction score

I'd be fine doing that whole removal thing but I've heard bad things happen then like the axle deciding to not to be part of the car anymore... Is that true?

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
From removing quad shocks? Where on earth did you hear that?

Mustangs really don't have many rear end issues aside from the arguments about poor handling, which can be totally mitigated.

People have done hard launches for years with slicks with totally stock rear ends with the quad shocks removed. I can tell you, I have never heard of an axle falling out.

I have seen Chevrolet axles shoot out of a rear end before, which was pretty interesting watching the slick roll down the track by itself.

OP
OP
95gtconversion

95gtconversion

Reaction score
That makes me feel a lot better. but aren't they there to help with axle wrap?

What are the quad shocks really there for if not that?

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
They honestly don't help much of anything at all. Especially with a proper set of Lower control arms and shocks on the vehicle. Their use is pretty much null and void.

OP
OP
95gtconversion

95gtconversion

Reaction score
Well I guess for now... 12.5 slicks and new rear control arms will be on the "to buy" list and some new front tubular control arms will be soon after to help with a clearance issue the car has on the 215 tires on the front (which are going to be replaced with narrower rims and tires for the track

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Quad shocks are worthless. Get rid of em and never look back.

You don't need double adjustables for the lowers as you probably won't need to move the rear end forward or back. Get a good set of tubular or square solid lowers and a set of double adjustable uppers. This way you can still adjust your pinion angle if you lower the car and adjust the preload on the rear end.

Do a good set of poly bushings on the lowers but leave the uppers stock rubber or if your gonna spend the money do the spherical bushings. Plenty of fast stangs have used similar setups and made crazy fast passes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Plenty of cars have cut into the low 10's/9's with a set of maximum motorsports heavy duty lower control arms and a new set of stock uppers with no quad shocks.

OP
OP
95gtconversion

95gtconversion

Reaction score
Awesome... I can't wait to get this thing out again in going to give it a nice tune up courtesy of MSD and make this little engine scream for mercy if I have to

Thomas_W

Reaction score
if your asking for 9 second 1/8 mile times, you should be there stock with a driver mod and sticky tires.

9 second 1/4 mile times your going to need far more than big tires and some suspension upgrades.

ElrodKTPQ_89

Legend
Reaction score
9 second 1/4 mile times your going to need far more than big tires and some suspension upgrades.

I know what you're talking about, but it's crazy to realize that there are cars out there going faster than that on a factory style 4-link on drag radials. Im a firm believer in a good suspension setup outweighing wrapping up a small fortune in an engine.

OP
OP
95gtconversion

95gtconversion

Reaction score
I plan to do it all but there's already a good bit of money in the engine thanks to the guy I bought it from I just want to better the suspension I don't have any wheel hop but I need new tires and something else so it transfers weight better otherwise it unloads on the street after I grab second and I lose the traction I had

Thomas_W

Reaction score
Still, in a 3000lb car thats 20+ years old, your not going to hit 9's in the 1/4 with 350-400rwhp, even with the best suspension and driver.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdude138

Members online