4-link?????

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Still, in a 3000lb car thats 20+ years old, your not going to hit 9's in the 1/4 with 350-400rwhp, even with the best suspension and driver.

Yea, we've seen 400 horse cars sink into the 10's, but that's few and far between.

Grizzy

Reaction score
I agree with the last statement and will add that you probably want to do C-clip eliminators with running full slicks

OP
OP
95gtconversion

95gtconversion

Reaction score
C-clip eliminators? I've never heard of that...

Also I plan on building a cage with Furo Racecraft.... I like to keep stuff as local as possible

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
C-Clips are the bane of the 8.8. They are little clips (that look like the letter C, go figure) that hold the axle in place. When these break (from burn outs, etc) they have a tendency to have the axle come loose from the diff and gears.

You can get eliminators, or put on ford 9" ends. I think I am the only one on the forum who has the 9" housings at this time though.

Thomas_W

Reaction score
If that's the case I'll just find a good 9 inch rear and mini tub the car just cause

A 9" housing with brackets for stock type mustang suspension is going to run you $1500+.

Putting 9" bearing ends on a 8.8 will run you about $500-700 including welding the axle tubes, straightening and bracing.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
After reading the replies, it seems to me you should start a build plan. Meaning: we can throw awesome ideas at you all day long, and we can help you spend your money with no problem. To do it efficiently, though, you should decide on what you want your end goal to be, and decide what steps or phases (in other words, what budget you have readily available) you want as you work your way towards that goal. For example, get a set of of extreme duty Maximum Motorsports rear lower control arms, ditch the quad shocks, and go to the track. When time/budget allows, step up to the next thing (maybe re-enforcing the torque boxes, or maybe a 9" rear end, etc. etc.). Try to figure out what you actually need at each step, and then do that. Each time you do something, then go to the track, it will uncover some weakness in the system. Use your money to correct that weakness. Go back to the track, find the next weakness, and so on. Unless you have a wad of cash to dump in the car and can upgrade multiple things at once, I'd recommend doing a bit at a time and running it. It will save you from buying things you don't actually need yet.

OP
OP
95gtconversion

95gtconversion

Reaction score
I do plan on actually saving to do a bunch of upgrades all in one shot on the rear so I can take it all apart and put it all back together in one shot

My goal at this point will most likely be make it more drivable with the current modifications in order to daily drive it for a while this year because my truck will be sold and I'll be joining the NAVY for not only better pay than what I am getting but also to get out a bit and if I can I'll take it with me to wherever I get stationed just to have something different and something that is mine. not to mention the front suspension will be changed as well later on since it will end up coyote swapped next year

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I do plan on actually saving to do a bunch of upgrades all in one shot on the rear so I can take it all apart and put it all back together in one shot

My goal at this point will most likely be make it more drivable with the current modifications in order to daily drive it for a while this year because my truck will be sold and I'll be joining the NAVY for not only better pay than what I am getting but also to get out a bit and if I can I'll take it with me to wherever I get stationed just to have something different and something that is mine. not to mention the front suspension will be changed as well later on since it will end up coyote swapped next year

Hmm, okay, you probably won't like this, but if your goal is to make it more reliable, then stop putting performance parts on it :-/ Not trying to be a jerk, seriously. I'm all about wrenching on cars. But go-fast bits and reliability do not go together, unless you are ready to back it up with a large wallet. If it's going to be your daily, and you will have other considerations like joining up, then the headache (and heartache) of a project car is probably not what you want. I'm not telling you what to do. All I'm saying is consider what you are going to use the car for, and then put sensible mods it (in other words, the 8" rear end is probably more then sufficient and an upgrade to a 9" is probably not worth it). If you really must put serious mods on the car, then just be prepared for when it breaks/isn't done/has gone over budget/etc. Because it will happen. Just friendly advice, take it for what you will.

Having said that, if you are still determined to put some serious work into it, then your best bet is to do what you said, save up and try to swap multiple things at once so you can minimize the number of tear downs you have to do. Just be aware that means problems will be harder to solve if/when they crop up, since it could be any number of the new components you just added that are causing it (ask me how I know this :( ).

OP
OP
95gtconversion

95gtconversion

Reaction score
For the time being it's going to be a daily and I'm not going to be adding anymore performance anytime soon

It's going to get new gears (3.73) and different exhaust as well as getting the cruise hooked back up for longer trips and what not

So the performance is kinda out of the picture for sure right now and once I'm in the service I'll be buying something to actually daily drive so I can start to really work on the car

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
For the time being it's going to be a daily and I'm not going to be adding anymore performance anytime soon

It's going to get new gears (3.73) and different exhaust as well as getting the cruise hooked back up for longer trips and what not

So the performance is kinda out of the picture for sure right now and once I'm in the service I'll be buying something to actually daily drive so I can start to really work on the car

Those sound like good mods and I think you will be happy with them (though do keep in mind your mpg will suffer a little with those gears, assuming you care about mpg's).

The idea of getting a different daily driver is a really smart one. You'll be glad you did. While it might be easier said then done ("Just go get a second car") for some people, it will be beneficial in the long run, especially if you've received a huge bite from the mod bug.

Good luck! :D

OP
OP
95gtconversion

95gtconversion

Reaction score
Those sound like good mods and I think you will be happy with them (though do keep in mind your mpg will suffer a little with those gears, assuming you care about mpg's).

The idea of getting a different daily driver is a really smart one. You'll be glad you did. While it might be easier said then done ("Just go get a second car") for some people, it will be beneficial in the long run, especially if you've received a huge bite from the mod bug.

Good luck! :D

definitely going to be getting a different daily but with my truck being up for sale right now I want to keep my car and drive it for now then once I'm set in the service and come back from my first deployment that's when I'd get something new

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online