400 Horsepower really possible with this build?

Kylebach14

Reaction score
Doing a build based off this- http://www.musclemustangfastfords.com/tech/mmfp_0910_building_400hp_into_a_5_0_l_small_block_engine/

I'm putting the exact parts they use into my build except I'm staying EFI and using a typhoon intake. I was wanting to know if 400hp is really even in the ball park. Yes I am aware that they have an electronic water pump and long tubes.

List of parts I have:
Procomp 210 heads
1.6 comp roller rockers
TFS stage 1 Cam
Summit shorty off road headers
Typhoon EFI intake
True dual exhaust deleted cats straight into flowmasters
Smog Delete
CAI
AC delete
4.10 rear end gears
AODE W/shift kit

I realize these heads are huge and I will have to "Rev to the moon" but I just want to know what you guys estimate I will be putting down (if it runs once I am done :thumbsup:)
Thanks!

Suspect

Reaction score
I doubt it.. also you might want to look at another set of heads. ive never ran em or know anyone that does, but ive read some crappy reviews.

Win

Legend
Reaction score
Yeah I've read some reviews it's all 50/50 from what I've read. People say don't buy the assembled ones. Buy them bare and add all your parts on there. Those are the 50% of people that love there heads.

5litrarag

Reaction score
No. That car staying carbed has a lot to do with its output. Plus precision work on the rotating assembly and head/intake surfaces.
They dont tell you all that in those stupid magazine articles though. Plus you are really limiting your possibilities of making 400 by running those short headers.

Win

Legend
Reaction score
No. That car staying carbed has a lot to do with its output. Plus precision work on the rotating assembly and head/intake surfaces.
They dont tell you all that in those stupid magazine articles though. Plus you are really limiting your possibilities of making 400 by running those short headers.

He would also need to keep the rpms up high in order to stay in that power range also.

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
I doubt it.. also you might want to look at another set of heads. ive never ran em or know anyone that does, but ive read some crappy reviews.

You know me, I have Procomp 210's and you know my issues with them. I blew half of the exhaust valve seals out and even bent an intake valve [within 300 miles] The castings aren't consistent and the port design is terrible and they flow llike a set of GT40 heads. Hell, 370 hp from a well-built [the lower end at least] 410w isn't good... If you really want to use them have them ported and rebuild them with springs that match your cam.

If you want better results without the additional headache, sell the Procomps, buy a set of used AFR195s and never look back.

Win

Legend
Reaction score
You know me, I have Procomp 210's and you know my issues with them. I blew half of the exhaust valve seals out and even bent an intake valve [within 300 miles] The castings aren't consistent and the port design is terrible and they flow llike a set of GT40 heads. Hell, 370 hp from a well-built [the lower end at least] 410w isn't good... If you really want to use them have them ported and rebuild them with springs that match your cam.

If you want better results without the additional headache, sell the Procomps, buy a set of used AFR195s and never look back.

Yep there ya go.

The people that loved them were the ones that bought bare and had them all done at a machine shop using all quality parts.

I would almost rather run a ported gt40 or gt40p head over them.

OP
OP
Kylebach14

Kylebach14

Reaction score
SO what kinda power you think Ill be putting down?
Don't get me wrong I would love to put some AFR's or Even twisted wedges but I don't have that kind of money and I don;t know where you find them used

OP
OP
Kylebach14

Kylebach14

Reaction score
OH LAWD :(
I wish I would've gotten this and did a swap, but I already have everything for my current swap

NVM its just for the heads lol

Win

Legend
Reaction score
Well let's start with what you have.

What do you have right now???
and let's see what we can help you with.

410sn95

Reaction score
As said, have the pro-comps gone through if your going to keep them. They can make ok power, but MUST be gone through, ported and hardware replaced. That's your 1st item of business.

Seen a set of local Pro-comps go from absolute crap to decent but only after it went to the head porter. Another problem with the pro-comps is deck thickness. They cast them thin.

OP
OP
Kylebach14

Kylebach14

Reaction score
Everything up in the post is exactly what is going on it

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Ok, questions: Do you the have specs on the heads? Do they have the "good to .600" lift" or "good to .550" lift" springs? Did you buy them directly from Procomp?

I'm just asking to hopefully save you a potential headache later. I suspect that TFS1 cam would work with the springs if they're the same ones my heads came with but we need to double check.

Edit: I did some digging on the subject and here is what I found:

Trick Flow's valve spring recommendation for the TFS-1 cam:

Closed Seat Pressure: 125 lbs
Open Seat Pressure: 376 lbs

Procomp's supplied [good to .550" lift, most common] valve springs:

Closed Seat Pressure: 110lbs
Open Seat Pressure: 300lbs

Not far off but still the potential remains for valve float which will rob HP and limit your RPM's. In about 3-4 weeks, I'll have a before [same exact head setup you have] & after [heads CNC ported, appropriate valve springs installed, rebuilt with fresh parts] dyno comparison with the same heads. Shit... I'm swapping intakes, TB and headers too... Scratch the dyno comparison but just know mismatched valvetrain parts will leave you with either a destroyed engine or a huge turd nearing self destruction.

YMMV and take this how you want.. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Kylebach14

Kylebach14

Reaction score
The springs we're upgraded with comp double springs that are good for a tfs 2 cam

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
I'm just gonna leave this here:

210sFlow_zps435b8c72.jpg

That article in the OP said:
According to Pro Comp literature, the 210cc intake ports flowed 262 cfm at 0.700 lift. At the 0.500-inch lift offered by our Track Max cam, the Pro Comp heads flowed 233 cfm, or more than enough to support our goal of 400 hp.

410sn95

Reaction score
Granted flow numbers are not the have all be all when judging heads...

For a 210cc intake its lacking and did they forget about exhaust all together?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online