4R70W - Transmission Fluid Exchange

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am getting ready to do a transmission fluid exchange since my fluid just recently turned from light red to dark red/brown color which is do for a immediate change. Also notice my TC has very subtle shudder in (D)rive at idle so I know it is time. I went with the good stuff Amsoil OE ATF that exceeds the mecron V requirements and a WIX filter. I've been reading online and watching videos and the fluid swap is fairly simple by draining the TC and dropping the pan but how do you get the old fluid out the transmission lines properly? Do you unbolt the return line going into the transmission and let it drain in a bucket? I am unsure about this step.

Mileage: 103K
Last Trans Service: 65-70k

Also I am half tempted to save and buy a deeper pan if I am feeling it haha. Let me know your thoughts guys. :thumbsup:

lutter94

Reaction score
Don't shops have a machine to flush a transmission system? I'm manual now, so its off my radar, lol.

OP
OP
JerZeyStangz

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
Don't shops have a machine to flush a transmission system? I'm manual now, so its off my radar, lol.

They do but it could hurt a higher mileage transmission. I figured everyone on here has 5 speeds, my 02 GT is five speed but those are easy to service lol

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
When you remove the lines from the transmission, there is a flush in an aerosol can that pumps into the lines and flushes the cooler. If you have an extra set of hands, you can pull the return line off the trans and have someone start the car and pump it into a bucket until the oil is clean.

lutter94

Reaction score
When you remove the lines from the transmission, there is a flush in an aerosol can that pumps into the lines and flushes the cooler. If you have an extra set of hands, you can pull the return line off the trans and have someone start the car and pump it into a bucket until the oil is clean.
First time I read this I saw extra soft hands, lmao

OP
OP
JerZeyStangz

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score

Do you have a link to this product?

OP
OP
JerZeyStangz

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Thanks man, how does this product exactly work? You hook it up to return line until you see it come out clean out the supply line?

Nathan

I like to flush backwards, but basically you disconnect both lines from the transmission and shoot that stuff into the from cooler line and it'll come out clean from the to cooler line. Depending on how dirty your oil is, it may take 2 cans.

OP
OP
JerZeyStangz

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
I like to flush backwards, but basically you disconnect both lines from the transmission and shoot that stuff into the from cooler line and it'll come out clean from the to cooler line. Depending on how dirty your oil is, it may take 2 cans.

Forgive me for my noobness, I have never done this procedure on my car before so I am trying to get a picture on how to do this. I've seen videos of the supply line and return line but when you hook up this product to the supply line its pushing the old fluid out from the return line? Or you hook this product on to another line near the rad and it comes out both? I'm not sure I wish I can see diagram on how it works.

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Forgive me for my noobness, I have never done this procedure on my car before so I am trying to get a picture on how to do this. I've seen videos of the supply line and return line but when you hook up this product to the supply line its pushing the old fluid out from the return line? Or you hook this product on to another line near the rad and it comes out both? I'm not sure I wish I can see diagram on how it works.

Sorry for the delay on the reply but when you have both lines disconnected at the transmission, this flush will go into one line, through that line, through the cooler, and out the other line. It pushes all the old oil out the other line. Everything will be done under the car right next to the transmission.

If you could, imagine plugging a garden house up to one of your lines at the transmission and turning the water on. Itll go in one line, through everything, and out the other.

OP
OP
JerZeyStangz

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
Sorry for the delay on the reply but when you have both lines disconnected at the transmission, this flush will go into one line, through that line, through the cooler, and out the other line. It pushes all the old oil out the other line. Everything will be done under the car right next to the transmission.

If you could, imagine plugging a garden house up to one of your lines at the transmission and turning the water on. Itll go in one line, through everything, and out the other.

Thank you for the clarity. I've seen a couple of guys on youtube use compress air to get the remainder of the cleaner out the lines. I suppose that's bad the trans if its hooked up with that stuff.

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Thank you for the clarity. I've seen a couple of guys on youtube use compress air to get the remainder of the cleaner out the lines. I suppose that's bad the trans if its hooked up with that stuff.

Im not sure if its bad or not, I don't think so, but its not a bad idea to blow some air through there. I wouldn't put a lot of air too it though, those coolers aren't very strong and can bust if they are over pressured.

OP
OP
JerZeyStangz

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
Im not sure if its bad or not, I don't think so, but its not a bad idea to blow some air through there. I would put a lot of air too it though, those coolers aren't very strong and can bust if they are over pressured.

Right especially since they are 20 years old. My moms pathfinder trans blew up because her trans cooler collapse in the rad mixing the coolant and trans oil. Common problem on those trucks.

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Right especially since they are 20 years old. My moms pathfinder trans blew up because her trans cooler collapse in the rad mixing the coolant and trans oil. Common problem on those trucks.

Yeah man, that's a big time bummer. The seals inside transmission HATE antifreeze! You might get away with flushing it for just a little bit, but I promise you, an overhaul will be in the very near future. Just like that pathfinder lol. We get it all the time here at work.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online