4v swap

OP
OP
07GtS197

07GtS197

Reaction score
When I get a motor Ill hit you up, thanks man!

Thats a combination that I think Id want to try if there was more room in our engine bays lol. I wanted to swap in a 5.4 4v swap but I read a guy couldnt remove his valve covers with the engine installed. Thats a deal breaker. Plus what intake options do you have with a B headed 5.4 motor? A sheetmetal intake wouldnt be worth it for me and widening a cobra intake might be more trouble than its worth. That could be one good breathing motor and would love to rev.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
You are exactly right! Couple these heads, stock cams, gen3 injectors and a set of 0 deck pistons could make for an intresting power plant!

Even removing 2v covers is a challenge. Ill be honest though....once you feel that torque, youre hooked!

OP
OP
07GtS197

07GtS197

Reaction score
When I had my 00 gt I changed the lash adjusters because they were noisy. The drivers side was the biggest pain in the ass to work around. Swapping out the lash adjusters did nothing too lol, it was still noisy.

I kicked around the idea of a 5.4 2v swap too but a few things hold me back from it, Id rather not use the intake adaptors if can be, Id have to swap the pistons out to zero decks, and I dont know anyone who could cut and weld my exhaust. If I could get my hands on a hardballr intake at the right price I might be inclined to do it though. Another thing is that the swap has been done many times before yet the consensus is that the 5.4 doesnt produce power numbers higher than their 4.6 counterparts. I assume that all that can be done differentlt to produce better power numbers has been done. Yea it does have 49 more cubes so you would think there was more power potential but it seems like with the 2v heads that power just cant be made. What do you think about that?

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Intake solution is fixed! Grab an edelbrock 4.6l intake, we cut it in half, add material, weld it back.

Stock exhaust works fine. Some cutting and extending will be needed.

A valve hole size dictates hp output. This is why no more hp from the same head is can be had, regardless of cubic inches. Power band changes but hp stays the same. For instance if we used the same head on a 2.0l engine the powerband will be high in the rpm's were the same head on a 5.4l the powerband will be low rpm......still the same hp. Although torque output changes. And a 5.4l over a 4.6l gain 100rwtq. Its mad feeling too. But dont expect to win races.

We all think lashers are the same from '91 to '04, but in ensure you they are not. Bleed down rates seperate them. Replacing lashers on intake side will gain you cam timing

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
On another note, a 5.4l stroke and rod length allow for better combustion stability. Hence why the engine is for 9000lb trucks able to pull its own weight running low octane fuel. Moving the compression up doesnt affect the engine like it would a 4.6l. Throw the 5.4l engine in a 4000lb mustang and engine stress goes away.

OP
OP
07GtS197

07GtS197

Reaction score
Ok I see what youre saying and it makes sense. How much would a modded edelbrock intake go for? I bet thats a lot of labor. Im still leaning towards a 4.6 4v swap but that edelbrock intake has me intrigued.

Is it possible to tell what lash adjusters I have? Its not like a bumper thats easily identified or has a part number on it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online