4v Tech and You! - What 4v Heads and When Did They Happen...

OP
OP
MustangChris

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
yesh. yesh they were. which is why i've been suggesting to mygreengt to get the head cooling mod in his "announcement" thread.

Slykin

Reaction score
Yeah, I might be able to have that cool conversation if I knew any Mustang guys in this area. F.

cbcmustangs40

Reaction score
so chris my names Noah i got the teksid block going with the mmr sheetmetal intake and aeromotive fuel system but what heads do you think i should go with? I've heard a 5.4 head will bolt up and flow like crazy but you seem to know alot about the 4v heads any suggestions or knowledge of the 5.4 heads?

OP
OP
MustangChris

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
so chris my names Noah i got the teksid block going with the mmr sheetmetal intake and aeromotive fuel system but what heads do you think i should go with? I've heard a 5.4 head will bolt up and flow like crazy but you seem to know alot about the 4v heads any suggestions or knowledge of the 5.4 heads?

hello Noah.

There are indeed heads that are intercahngable with the 4.6 and 5.4L applications. One example is the FRPP 2v PI heads
http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=6124

another being the 3v FRPP head
http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=11925

and finally, a third exmpale is the latest production heads for 03/04 cobras and mach1s (4v)
http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=10703

If you have a set of 4v 5.4L heads, id be more comfortable telling you about them if you tell me what they came out of...

for example, the Ford GT heads use an updated version of 00Cobra R heads, and the Cobar R and the GT both use seperate application-specific cams. Also, some people (MMR included) suggest using custom-to-application intake manifolds with ford GT heads.

some people mention the requirement of "minor" modifications to the 5.4L heads to make them fit on a teksid. I beleive its something as simple as grinding off a bolt-mount, and using the proper intake manifold gasket. (but im going off memory there.)

Overall, the applications of 5.4L heads to 4.6L blocks seems to be pretty universal and easy to do.

as for the intake that you have,

you will need an intake for the 5.4L heads. if you have the "b head" intake "bread-box" design offered by MMR, it will only fit on "b heads" (1996-1998 cobras or simular) the first 5.4L heads offered (1999 lincoln navigator) were tumble port design.

If you want to use that manifold, i suggest a B-head set up with a turbo (if possible. :-D lol)

Also, aeromotive makes a great product, but the only thing i do not agree with in their "philosophy" is snake-routing your fuel system. (as seen on many applications) This is when you feed the back of one fuel rail, then plumb the front of that same fuel rail to the front of the other side's fuel rail and send the return out the back of the opposing rail. (you may recall seeing fuel lines going over superchargers on 03/04 cobra set ups and OEM shelby cobras)

Obviously aeromotive is highly reputible and even Ford does this, I have aeromotive products on my car as well, but i just prefer to feed both rails and drain both rails.

Reaction score
Thanks for consolidating all this information. Now I just need to do some reading on the Teksid blocks... like how do I pronounce it?!?!

My one question is, what heads would be on the '00-'04 Aviators? I got that the Mark VIII's and '96-'98 Cobras had the same B heads.

Reaction score
I'm going to throw another question out there. Are all the 4v valve covers interchangeable? I assume the 5.4 valve covers would be differetn than a 4.6 valve cover? Someone has heads off of a '95 Lincoln and he wants M-6582-CC which is shown for 07-12 GT500s only.

alex302

Reaction score
Very nice write up!! Being new to the 4v game this some very good info. Thank you!

james1cobra

Reaction score
02-04 cobra heads

yes i said 02 exactly 100 documented i bet alot of people on here didnt know that so dont bash they were right hand drive and shipped straight to our ford brothers in autralia....anyways off the subject the subject is valve tick on these heads and in 04 they solved the ticking problem 02-03 cobras were prone to this along with 96-98 b heads and 99-01 unrevised pieces of shit(unless you got the timesert fix for them and a valve job) i just wanted to clear the air ive built many of cobras for friends as well as side jobs ive seen all the ticking and head problems

OP
OP
MustangChris

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
there's an entire section of the OP on the head tick. many people have many claims as to it's cause. I believe I listed the Cobra Bob/Steggy cause of poorly designed exhaust valve seats...

Rizkit32

Reaction score
So what I'm getting from this is, dump the tumble port heads and go for the b heads? Would that be possible, my heads are in need of a rebuild anyways, so would it be better to go with b heads, or just rebuild the tumble?

OP
OP
MustangChris

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
start a thread here in the 4v area about what you want to do with the car and we can help Ya out. :)

cobraracer46

Reaction score
So what I'm getting from this is, dump the tumble port heads and go for the b heads? Would that be possible, my heads are in need of a rebuild anyways, so would it be better to go with b heads, or just rebuild the tumble?

Us 1999-2001 Cobra guys are best off working with the C heads that are already on our cars. A B head swap onto a 99-01 Cobra would be downgrade as it would result in a loss of power and torque, not to mention a decrease in reliability as you would be adding more parts with the B head IMRC system. Another downfall with the B heads is that one of the intake ports is not fed by an injector, therefore that runner gets all carboned up.

OP
OP
MustangChris

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Us 1999-2001 Cobra guys are best off working with the C heads that are already on our cars. A B head swap onto a 99-01 Cobra would be downgrade as it would result in a loss of power and torque, not to mention a decrease in reliability as you would be adding more parts with the B head IMRC system. Another downfall with the B heads is that one of the intake ports is not fed by an injector, therefore that runner gets all carboned up.

in most cases i suggest people to keep whatever heads the car came with. The B-heads are an excellent design that have proven themselves on and off the track. The IMRCs are easily delete-able with either 10 minutes of free time using the OEM units, or a couple hundred bucks for aftermarket plates...

one of the ports is indeed not fed by an injector which has caused a number of issues (most of which were mentioned in the original post) -- but at the same time the cause relatively minimal real-world issues.

it doesnt make sense to go from a C-head to a B-head and, as far as i'm concerned, it doesnt make much sense to go from a B-head to a C-head... obviously this depends on your build, but the B-heads can handle pretty much anything you throw at them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online