5.0 - Loud pop?

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
So this happened twice before. Once back in January i revved the motor and heard a loud pop, like it backfired, but not in the exhaust, from the engine bay.. Fast forward to last week, my dad and I were looking over some thing and revved the engine from the bay again to see if it would smooth out the idle, backfired loud from the bay again.. Today my dad drove the car and on the highway, he said at about 50 he punched it and it popped again.. What the ****? This car is starting to piss me off, I've repaired a lot since January..

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
[MENTION=14656]Musturd[/MENTION] suggested I check the timing. So I'll look into that

Rallim

Reaction score
^ First thing I was going to say. After getting mine back up together I was messing with the timing, advanced it a bit too far, it revved and ran great, but I got the occasional intake backfire.

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
^ First thing I was going to say. After getting mine back up together I was messing with the timing, advanced it a bit too far, it revved and ran great, but I got the occasional intake backfire.

Funny thing is, timing was never touched as far as I know! Gonna have my mechanic check it out thursday since I don't have a timing light

Rallim

Reaction score
Screw that, do it yourself it's one bolt, loosen it, play with it a little. I tried using a timing light once and we couldn't even get it to see the top of the crank anyways. Just turn it counter clockwise to retard it a tiny bit and see if it helps, one 13mm bolt holding the dizzy down.

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Screw that, do it yourself it's one bolt, loosen it, play with it a little. I tried using a timing light once and we couldn't even get it to see the top of the crank anyways. Just turn it counter clockwise to retard it a tiny bit and see if it helps, one 13mm bolt holding the dizzy down.

Honestly I'd rather not screw with it. Its my only means of transportation and I'd rather have him check it. If this semester was over I'd do it myself since I wouldn't really need the car. He won't charge me anyway lol

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Check the timing and maybe put in a little better gas to prevent it from happening for now.
Will do.. I'll try 93 but I'm already paying 4.00 a gallon for 87.. ****ing price inflation.. 93 is almost 4.20 a gallon

slow90coupe

Reaction score
Good ole pushrods. Mine used to backfire out of the intake from time to time too. It's probably in the timing like stated above.

96gt4.6

Reaction score
you can get a timing light for cheaper then paying a shop to do it one time, it is a very simple job. and like rallim said you can time it by ear really easy just loosen the bolt and turn it small increments till it sounds good with no popping.

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
you can get a timing light for cheaper then paying a shop to do it one time, it is a very simple job. and like rallim said you can time it by ear really easy just loosen the bolt and turn it small increments till it sounds good with no popping.

Yeah I know. He's not charging me to check the timing or adjust it.

96gt4.6

Reaction score
Yeah I know. He's not charging me to check the timing or adjust it.

i guess i didnt read your whole post on that one. also running a higher octane would be a waste of money for what you have done to your car there is no need for higher octane

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
i guess i didnt read your whole post on that one. also running a higher octane would be a waste of money for what you have done to your car there is no need for higher octane

Yup its a waste. filled half the tank with 93 and didn't notice anything.. Lol

BlackStallion

Reaction score
Vacuum leak otherwise if not timing like these guys are saying. I've had my '94 cranked up to nearly 14 degrees timing and no popping thru the intake.

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Vacuum leak otherwise if not timing like these guys are saying. I've had my '94 cranked up to nearly 14 degrees timing and no popping thru the intake.

No vac leaks! So its gotta be the timing. I put on my stock ignition coil and it seems to run a little smoother

gofastbobby

Reaction score
When was the last time the car had a tuneup? I'm surprised you can get away with running 87 octane, mine spark knocks like a mofo with anything less that premium.

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
When was the last time the car had a tuneup? I'm surprised you can get away with running 87 octane, mine spark knocks like a mofo with anything less that premium.

Last summer. Plugs, wires, cap, rotor, iac.. Only put maybe 1500 miles on since than. Did an oil change about a month ago. Gonna get a new fuel filter and pcv valve soon. I always run 87, no issues. 93's a waste for mine

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Staff online

Members online