5.0 running bad after overheating 4 years ago. Help!

Aviator Guy

Reaction score
Hi guys
I had my car parked for 4 years after a bad tune from a recognize shop in Pickering so I decided to start trouble shooting it to see if I can enjoy my car this rest of the summer. I found a leak on the manifold (fixed) now I wanted to get into the firing orderly make sure she is not out of timing so here is my question, is she and HO or old 302?
When I rebuilt my engine I bought and old block 302, then I bought all the internals piston rings, then I got aluminium heads trick flow with upper and lower intake same brand. Then I put a new distributor msd with new coil, all my parts were from summit racing in USA. After having issues I decided to go back with my OEM distributor but left the mad coil.
All this I am doing is because my car is firing up without power and popping issues.
The car was rebuilt from myself and the. I took it for tunning her with a chip.
After there the same day on my way home she overheated and since then had been firing up with issues and popping. Sitting on my driveway for 4 years.
This morning I started her up let me see if I can enclosed a video of her running.

Thanks for the help

Ivan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Werecow

Reaction score
Yours will use the 302 HO firing order if you used the original cam or a 302 HO type roller cam.. this website might help you double check your firing order. If the firing order is confirmed it sounds like you may have the valves adjusted incorrectly or possibly a bad cam.. first thing is to check to firing order and make sure the ignition is working properly tho..

https://lmr.com/products/302-firing-order

Cheers and we are all ready to help any way we can!!

OP
OP
Aviator Guy

Aviator Guy

Reaction score
That’s the thing I don’t remember and the machine shop that did my work He closed it a while ago.
I might go back to Summit racing and check with them on my parts I did order from them.
But when I did my first start up after the build my car runs nice and smooth so I am going to go back to my notes and see what I can find in there, also on my manual I should have some notes.

Thanks guys I will keep you updated how I will came out of this one.
I couldn’t post the video of the car running this morning, it doesn’t show my file when I try to attach it.

Thanks for the reply guys!!

07GtS197

Reaction score
Lets start with the basics and confirm firing order, compression test and timing before jumping into anything else.

OP
OP
Aviator Guy

Aviator Guy

Reaction score
Lets start with the basics and confirm firing order, compression test and timing before jumping into anything else.

Ok i will get to it

OP
OP
Aviator Guy

Aviator Guy

Reaction score
Ok i will get to it

Ok 07gts
I found and old pic when I was building it and it looks like it is an HO from the firing order on the picture.
Let me see what you think guys.
f7511b6fe420527870ce93c563c2fd11.jpg

Werecow

Reaction score
Ok that should be a roller HO and you should have the right firing order, do you have access to a timing light, or can you check your distributor cap to see if it's corroded inside or cracked maybe?

OP
OP
Aviator Guy

Aviator Guy

Reaction score
Ok that should be a roller HO and you should have the right firing order, do you have access to a timing light, or can you check your distributor cap to see if it's corroded inside or cracked maybe?

Yes I have a timing light, I am going to change plugs and check timing first on the distributor since I pulled it off a few weeks back to check timing with a friend but I want to make sure I have it dead on then I can use my timing gun.
I will keep you posted.
Ha also I want to check compression one more time again.

Werecow

Reaction score
Ooh!!! Before you get new plugs check the trick flow site and make sure you're getting the right plugs for their heads, not the ones spec's for the car since you're using trick flow heads!!!

OP
OP
Aviator Guy

Aviator Guy

Reaction score
Ok thanks I was using OEM plugs since the built.

Werecow

Reaction score
Yeh we had this go round on another member's car, and the '95 I had also had the wrong plugs in it for the heads, it's an easy mistake to make..

Randall Garner

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Trick flow Like many other aftermarket aluminum heads generally require a gasketed 14mm .750 reach plug. But yes very. With tfs. Make sure you use anti seize on all fasteners going on to the heads and plugs. Or you will gull the threads Firing order on a ho. Or post 88 engine will be 13726548 counter clockwise rotation of the dizzy. 1 should be at about 1 o’clock position pointing toward intake. Upper. If early crank was used and early cam then firing order is 15426378. Even the early stuff can have current. Parts installed. Ya need build sheets and part numbers. Another way is to pull both valve covers. And rotate engine by hand. See the Order the intake valve. Or exhAust valves open. Only need to verify the first 2-3. To get the correct order. Then ensure your dizzy and wires are correct. Right plugs. And it should run if all else is correct

OP
OP
Aviator Guy

Aviator Guy

Reaction score
I ordered the autolite plugs and the tdc locator so this weekend I will have some updates! Yes the #1 plug wire should be between 12&1 o’clock may be tomorrow I will double check that.

Thanks for all the tips!

OP
OP
Aviator Guy

Aviator Guy

Reaction score
Ok guys The weekend I did change my spark plugs and try to get my timing set up but I couldn’t so Today I finished setting up the timing and still the car didn’t run properly.
So I did start taking my upper intake back out again and start testing my injectors, I found out that 2 injectors (#7&8) were not having 4 volts and 1 (#4)gets to the 4 volts but too slow.
What do you guys think what is wrong?
I am thinking the pcm went bad?
How can I trace this issue?
Thanks for the tip

Last edited:
OP
OP
Aviator Guy

Aviator Guy

Reaction score
Anybody has a got 5.0 pcm for sale in here? Or if you guys know where it is one that I can buy?
Thanks

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Grab a wiring schematic and see where they get power from. From what I remember, the power is shared between all the injectors and the pcm controls the ground side of the injectors. If they aren’t getting power, then you’ve likely got a wiring issue.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
somehow I missed the wrong plugs thing as that is what happened to me. Did you actually verify that they gave you the right plugs this time? I say that because I learned how I got the wrong plugs(I knew the thrickflow used a different plug) when I went in and told them which plugs I wanted and how many, of course the response from the vatozone guy was "make model and year?". I told him that I didn't have stock heads in it and it didn't use the stock plugs and he just repeated it. I played along and told him the answer to his question and then he spent 5 minutes telling me how the plugs I wanted were not on his list. I again told him I knew and knew why but he never moved from the computer and the jackass behind him never looked up from his phone. I went to oriely's and got them but the moral of my story is to triple check they give you the right parts....

What trouble shooting have you done to lead you to believe a whole new computer is needed?

OP
OP
Aviator Guy

Aviator Guy

Reaction score
somehow I missed the wrong plugs thing as that is what happened to me. Did you actually verify that they gave you the right plugs this time? I say that because I learned how I got the wrong plugs(I knew the thrickflow used a different plug) when I went in and told them which plugs I wanted and how many, of course the response from the vatozone guy was "make model and year?". I told him that I didn't have stock heads in it and it didn't use the stock plugs and he just repeated it. I played along and told him the answer to his question and then he spent 5 minutes telling me how the plugs I wanted were not on his list. I again told him I knew and knew why but he never moved from the computer and the jackass behind him never looked up from his phone. I went to oriely's and got them but the moral of my story is to triple check they give you the right parts....

What trouble shooting have you done to lead you to believe a whole new computer is needed?

Well so far I tested all the injectors with a voltmeter and I got voltage on all of them 12.3 or so but on 2 of them I didn’t get ground measurements (7&8) it’s supposed to be 4.0 and they don’t even move. And #4 moves but so slow to get to 4.0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online