5.0 V8 pushrod first time owner

VEE8FBODY

Reaction score
Looking for advice on a turbo set up for my car ?
any suggestions and advice welcome thanks C8B3FACD-7619-4F7A-B814-E79E886408DD.jpeg

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
we have had a couple of people do on3. They had replaced some stuff I remember like the V-band clamps and the turbo. The K needs to be replaced as well IIRC and because of that and the tried and true history of superchargers a lot of us have gone that rout instead.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Am over in the uk so it’s a struggle here lol
you also need to consider tuning. I know in the US now it can be hard to find someone that is comfortable with our old obd1 systems that was in 94/95 only. A lot of places will recommend a new ecu to make it easier.
Incorrect. That's the 4.6 cars.
This man knows more than me.

OP
OP
VEE8FBODY

VEE8FBODY

Reaction score
you also need to consider tuning. I know in the US now it can be hard to find someone that is comfortable with our old obd1 systems that was in 94/95 only. A lot of places will recommend a new ecu to make it easier.

This man knows more than me.
Yes I did here about ecu issues, was wondering about going old skool using a fuel pressure regulator and wide band to keep it simple maybe ?

OP
OP
VEE8FBODY

VEE8FBODY

Reaction score
Yes I did here about ecu issues, was wondering about going old skool using a fuel pressure regulator and wide band to keep it simple maybe ?
To elaborate specifically I was meaning the likes of, an inline rising rate fuel pressure regulator and an ignition timing controller, old skool and simplistic with a wide band to monitor Afr etc perhaps. What’s your thoughts on this ?

joemomma

Reaction score
For tuning - Tuning Innovations, Ted Jenkins.

ON3 seems to be the "go to" turbo kit, but last time I looked at them, there weren't any available. They were taking pre-orders on another run, but it was "pay now, and wait" which I didn't care for. SC are plentiful, but a little more expensive.

OP
OP
VEE8FBODY

VEE8FBODY

Reaction score
For tuning - Tuning Innovations, Ted Jenkins.

ON3 seems to be the "go to" turbo kit, but last time I looked at them, there weren't any available. They were taking pre-orders on another run, but it was "pay now, and wait" which I didn't care for. SC are plentiful, but a little more expensive.
Main issue for me is I’m in Scotland uk, by sc you mean supercharger ?

tvsn95

Reaction score
My set up uses an HP turbo setup ( no longer available)
I have also done the On3 in a fox,, There is little diff in install per car but the turbo is turned 90 degrees and sucks hot air from under hood, This can be fixed with a Cobrahead So no problem. the On3 fits better overall and is cheap in the big picture. have had an oil line fail, ( crummy hose ) I don't like the drain for the turbo and will be building something better.
I would NOT try the old school ratio ed fuel pressure trick and you will need bigger (60lb) injectors, you will need to pull a bunch of timing somehow , you will run out of fuel pump and the fuel lines are WAY too small, the SN95 rails will support about 500hp, then they go away,
The ECU is easily tuned with a quarterhorse . the ECU are getting hard to find in good shape and remember they only made them 2 years. Contact www.PopsRacing.com / Adam Marrer 585-802-6911 for your tuning needs and equipment.( He is a wealth of experience)
When you get it put together and you haven't knocked out the head gaskets in the first 5 minutes due to timing, you will be on your way to replacing the entire drive train,,,,because these things make Massive torque LOL

OP
OP
VEE8FBODY

VEE8FBODY

Reaction score
My set up uses an HP turbo setup ( no longer available)
I have also done the On3 in a fox,, There is little diff in install per car but the turbo is turned 90 degrees and sucks hot air from under hood, This can be fixed with a Cobrahead So no problem. the On3 fits better overall and is cheap in the big picture. have had an oil line fail, ( crummy hose ) I don't like the drain for the turbo and will be building something better.
I would NOT try the old school ratio ed fuel pressure trick and you will need bigger (60lb) injectors, you will need to pull a bunch of timing somehow , you will run out of fuel pump and the fuel lines are WAY too small, the SN95 rails will support about 500hp, then they go away,
The ECU is easily tuned with a quarterhorse . the ECU are getting hard to find in good shape and remember they only made them 2 years. Contact www.PopsRacing.com / Adam Marrer 585-802-6911 for your tuning needs and equipment.( He is a wealth of experience)
When you get it put together and you haven't knocked out the head gaskets in the first 5 minutes due to timing, you will be on your way to replacing the entire drive train,,,,because these things make Massive torque LOL
Appreciate the input buddy, but can’t get the on3 setup over here they don’t ship outside the So not an option I can get a cx racing setup though perhaps, seems a tricky one all said though lol

TrickVert

Reaction score
As you've seen, turbos, especially on the 94/95 cars can be tricky. A Vortech supercharger can be installed using the stock ECU and the included Fuel Management Unit with no tuning (though skipping the FMU and having it tuned is preferred).

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
being disabled I have the time to fill out the customs form and reship it if you are willing to pay for it.

OP
OP
VEE8FBODY

VEE8FBODY

Reaction score
As you've seen, turbos, especially on the 94/95 cars can be tricky. A Vortech supercharger can be installed using the stock ECU and the included Fuel Management Unit with no tuning (though skipping the FMU and having it tuned is preferred).
Thanks for the input ye I did lol at sc but quite expensive, what’s the sort of power gain achievable on a almost stock motor? Have cai on atm also have bbk shorties equal and am under drive kit to instal

OP
OP
VEE8FBODY

VEE8FBODY

Reaction score
being disabled I have the time to fill out the customs form and reship it if you are willing to pay for it.
Bizarrely enough I was medically retired for life just over 2 years ago after a damaged sciatic nerve and 2 back ops , had just turned 40 and 3 weeks later pensioned off for life.
Had an r33 which I poured my heart and soul into for a few years but as left side back and leg very unstable couldn’t control the clutch etc very well so had to give her up esc gutted.
But on the bright side had promised myself a V8 all my life and well now is my time
I can get a cx racing kit imported but don’t know much about them.
Finally as per your post appreciate the offer but that’s a big gamble tbqh for a complete stranger no offence intended buddy.
ps. Sorry for the lengthy reply

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Thanks for the input ye I did lol at sc but quite expensive, what’s the sort of power gain achievable on a almost stock motor? Have cai on atm also have bbk shorties equal and am under drive kit to instal
supercharger kits are around the same price as the turbos, at least some of them. If its not a MUST HAVE today kind of thing just keep your eyes open and they are rebuildable if someone is selling one. I have a vortech V3 and I got found it new in the box having only taken the blower out to inspect it. He got the kit, then wrecked the car and ended up with a different car so I got his kit complete and NIB for only $3k. Again the nice thing about the superchargers is that they have been done for decades now and finding people familiar with them is not normally all that hard for us over here. As for power gains you can get %40 more power out of a stock engine with the v3 kit if I am not mistaken. Add some heads/cam and you can get more.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online