5.0 vs 4.6

sixt5

Reaction score
i know this will prolly be neverending but whats the pros and cons of each? i really have no clue about fuel injected mustangs. is there certin years thats just bad? fill me in!

95CALI-5.0

Reaction score
You just opened up a can of worms :hammer:.

Seriously, do a search, there is a tread that was pretty recent regarding the 5.0 VS 4.6 debate.

Cocomojo

Reaction score
If you do alot of the work yourself, the 5.0 are a lot easier to work on than the 4.6 imo

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
big topic but you've come to the right place.

Off the top of my head.
the 5.0 is cheaper to mod, parts have been developed for years, and cost less.
better torque curve. They are older, so low milage will be harder to find.
pushrod motor with a distributor.

the modular's parts cost more, but the price is coming down.
they're fiiiinally starting to develope some stuff like intakes and that.
higher rev's and the block is super strong.
96-98 you'll wanna do a PI headswap and/or intake swap with cams. 99 and newer already has the decient "PI" parts on it.
overhead cam(s), coil packs vs. distributor.

The both sound good with the right exhaust.

The aftermarket has a huge variety of parts to make either into what you want.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
I like both, but I have had 302 pushrod cars for over a decade and I want to move forward with the modular movement ...........hence the reason I have a 4 valve Cobra now :khobra:

95 Sleeper

Reaction score
Snakebit said:
I like both, but I have had 302 pushrod cars for over a decade and I want to move forward with the modular movement ...........hence the reason I have a 4 valve Cobra now :khobra:
and you are slower than you have ever been :rollinglaugh: :rollinglaugh:

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
95 Sleeper said:
Snakebit said:

no im not, my cobra has as much hp as my 91 did, it just weighs about 400 lbs more :mad: :mad: :mad:

That will be taken care of with a Procharger come tax time in 5 months 4 valve + forced induction = Teh win :banana:

and now that im thinking about it my 4 valve is makeing the same or more power with STOCK HEADS / INTAKE AND CAM compared to my 91 with Edelbrock RPM intake / RPM heads and a E- cam .......modular RULES :hammer:

95KBGT

Legend
Reaction score

Cheap, an ass load of parts, Run great, Rare in good form

Valued higher, Exspensive parts, Harder to work on, Love power adders.

95 Sleeper

Reaction score
Snakebit said:
95 Sleeper said:
Snakebit said:

no im not, my cobra has as much hp as my 91 did, it just weighs about 400 lbs more :mad: :mad: :mad:

That will be taken care of with a Procharger come tax time in 5 months 4 valve + forced induction = Teh win :banana:
So, does that mean we will be on for a little race next year?

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
95 Sleeper said:
Snakebit said:
95 Sleeper said:
Snakebit said:

oh yea :banana: if all goes right I should be in the low 11's pretty quick for a 3800lb street car with a/c, full interior and a 281 cubic inch motor :)

I still have not made my mind up on getting a set of forged pistons and worked heads yet :-\ not sure if that 2 grand will fit in my budget :'( I sure would like it to......another 100hp would be HUGE :angel:

95 Sleeper

Reaction score
Snakebit said:
95 Sleeper said:
Snakebit said:
95 Sleeper said:
Snakebit said:

oh yea :banana: if all goes right I should be in the low 11's pretty quick for a 3800lb street car with a/c, full interior and a 281 cubic inch motor :)
:thumb: but you are going to need more than that procharger :hammer:

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
95 Sleeper said:
Snakebit said:
95 Sleeper said:
Snakebit said:
95 Sleeper said:
Snakebit said:

:thumb: but you are going to need more than that procharger :hammer:

I may have, dont know yet......im in need of 2 extra grand :(

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
I'm still waiting on a streak of good luck to come and my speed shop get a wrecked 03 or 04 Cobra in that still has a good motor in it. I'll sell my old 4 valve I have now and get a 2.8 KB instead of a Procharger. Maybe that will happen someday....probally not though :mad: well not in the next year before I sell my 99 and get a 03-04. In all honesty I'm putting on the blower to increase intrest when I go to sell at the first of 2008, book value then should still be above 10 grand ( I hope :angel:) + what I can get out of all the extras I have on it, and I'm going to throw all of that plus some savings at paying off a Terminator + the cost of a big KB. I would have done that back in February when I bought this one, but I couldn't take a 25k hit to my savings :mad: :mad: the 6K I had to add to the 10k I got off the sale of my 98GT to get THIS cobra was bad enough. But with carefull financial planning for the last 8 months and the next 14 will pay off BIG :D

Well unless I get robbed or something :-\ :-\

95 Sleeper

Reaction score
Sounds lime you have a plan......To think at one time I was going to put an 03 motor in mine

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
95 Sleeper said:
Sounds lime you have a plan......To think at one time I was going to put an 03 motor in mine

I think its someting EVERYONE wants to do, but they are so hard to come by and then if do do get LUCKY enough to find one ........they want a arm and a left nut to get it :nonono:. The advantage I have is being personal friends with the shop owner and being able to get FIRST shot at the engine and getting a lower price than I could get anywhere else. But as of yet, the shop has not had the opportunity to get a wrecked car in stock :( :(. And it will be just my luck AFTER I spend 4k on a Procharger they will get one in and not pay out the ass for it......and I would have been able to get the entire engine assemble for 5K ............ :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant:

95CALI-5.0

Reaction score
I told you, that you opend up a can of worms :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

Pushrod for ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
95CALI-5.0 said:
I told you, that you opend up a can of worms :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

Pushrod for ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NEVER :rollinglaugh: :rollinglaugh: :rollinglaugh: :rollinglaugh:

95 Sleeper