5.4 2v Swap Basics (as of 2022)

Notthenow

Reaction score
Sounds like the 5.4 with the Edlbrock revs plenty high, at least for a street car. I'm surprised the horsepower isn't higher given that, although I know the intake valve limits airflow with the 2V heads.

I have seen guys run the throttle body forward and not to the side. I would also like to see ducting running from the fog lights to feed it, but would have to figure out a straight run for the maf.

Old school is right, that is stuff from the eighties (tunnel ram and carbs).

01GT

Reaction score
Expert you are!! This is an excellent write up! I pass the baton to you!!

Thank you for stating early in the post that no more horsepower will be made over what a 4.6l can do. Ive beat a dead horse around here about an engine intake valve size dictating hp potential. Given 2 different size engines with the same head will make nearly the same hp but at different rpm due to intake valves being the same size. Torque will be greater with the bigger engine tho.
So not true.

07GtS197

Reaction score
I’m curious where you got that from. I can’t find any sources that say why Ford used the 5.4, hmm. And your argument is moot as the cobra r uses heads with larger intake valves, which is evident looking at the output rating.

01GT

Reaction score
So you are the Libtard Troll on here. Congratulation!

04Dsgluis

Reaction score
Ive been thinking about this swap alot but my question would be , if i got the 5.4 2v and used my 4.6 2v heads and cams can i use my 4.6 professional products intake manifold?

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Ive been thinking about this swap alot but my question would be , if i got the 5.4 2v and used my 4.6 2v heads and cams can i use my 4.6 professional products intake manifold?
Not without intake spacers. The block is wider and will push the heads further apart than the 4.6

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
The swap is not worth the hassle of modifications needed. Yes the 5.4l torque is fantastic, but the performance possibilities of the 4.6l exceeds the 5.4l. The availability of parts for the 4.6l far exceeds the 5.4l too. Just be prepared to drop money on not much gain.

Dont misunderstand me here, i rock a 2v 5.4l and im telling you the swap isnt worth it

OP
OP
garrittpwl

garrittpwl

Reaction score
The swap is not worth the hassle of modifications needed. Yes the 5.4l torque is fantastic, but the performance possibilities of the 4.6l exceeds the 5.4l. The availability of parts for the 4.6l far exceeds the 5.4l too. Just be prepared to drop money on not much gain.

Dont misunderstand me here, i rock a 2v 5.4l and im telling you the swap isnt worth it
I mean. Swap it if you want, but you better enjoy dropping the engine to get a valve cover off, or to tighten a header bolt..... Those have been my biggests annoyances. I'm to the point now though that I can start on a engine pull on friday night, have it out saturday morning, fix whatever I need to on saturday afternoon and have it back in the car running sometime sunday. I did a TikTok live on the last time I dropped it from start to finish. Took 2.5 hours to get it out of the car completely.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Im with you! I too have gotten efficient extracting these behemoths and almost set the engine in blindfolded,because if you want to do anything engine wise, it has to come out.

OP
OP
garrittpwl

garrittpwl

Reaction score
Im with you! I too have gotten efficient extracting these behemoths and almost set the engine in blindfolded,because if you want to do anything engine wise, it has to come out.
Its a shame too because you can ALMOST get the valve covers off. You can get all the bolts out and get it to wiggle around but that last little bit takes engine removal. Hell I even dropped my engine way down one time trying to do it lol

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
YES! Same here! I removed clutch cable, unbolted the brake booster, unbolted engine mounts. I was able to pull the cover off and perform what I needed to do. Then the task of replacing the valve cover and keeping the gasket in place ......so i just pull all of it out!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010