5.4 2v swap

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Their is plenty of competition around my area, especially the diesel trucks. They can be hard to beat if you let them and by that I mean if you give them time to set up their rig before the initial jump. Those guys have to e-brake while driving slow in order to load the engine, inturn spooling the turbo up. I literally had my butt handed to me once because I let the un-known guy set up. We raced twice. The race first he set it up while I kept goosing it wondering why he wasnt taking to it. I found out why after a couple of jumps. The second race was on the way back from where we started out and thats when it accrued to me that, he needed time to spool up. I thought this time ill goose twice and stay in it. So we slowed down to around 25mph I goosed twice while matting it and this go around he couldn't keep up. I didnt run off from him, but he wasnt going to get me either. Latter I found out who it was and what his truck was capable of. The truck was known for 10sec 1/4 times.
Along with many other races this particular race was the most interesting.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Their are plenty of mustang side by side races mostly 4.6l stock modulars and some were fox body 5.0l.
I knew the modulars guys and what they had and to be honest, once they got the car wounded up they were hard to beat....actually more like side by side. Althouht they had deep rear gears and un-cammed....still a close race. The cobras normally got me although not by much.

Leo 5.0

Reaction score
I kind of miss competition.
I don't know if spring/summer will bring out anything, but so far, nothing but your average commuter, and lifted trucks.
Couple of V6 mustangs, and I have seen an old 97-93 GT, but I'd put money that it's not a performance build.
Or he's the ULTIMATE sleeper. But aside from that, the only action I saw was a kid in a v6 Camaro, I know my 4.0 can outrun a stocker.
Did it in el paso at the drag strip. It was close, but I got him.
Now with any gears or a T lok, I know the gap would widen.

But I agree with you, I underestimated a truck once...I didn't know it was a diesel, it was quiet as hell, I figured it was just a 3v 5.4
Then the smoke cleared and I was falling behind fast.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Good times good times!

Hopefully this next 2v build puts me over 300rwhp n/a ford heads. All I really like about my mustang is its easy to work on, parts a plenty, and I enjoy challenging myself with new boarder line junkyard type builds.

Leo 5.0

Reaction score
Yeah, I think I'm going to hold off on another 5.4.
I've never done the PI swap, and it's cheaper and well, learning is fun.
Besides my goals are modest and well it's in good shape so I'll run a PI swapped setup for a year or so.
Then decide from there.
Besides I just got out of the service and should probably get a job before I start digging too deep in the stang.
Unless my 05 sells for around what I'm asking for, then all bets are off.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Numer one priorities are always first! The pi swap is a good one along with all the bolt ons the cars really wake up.

Leo 5.0

Reaction score
I am figuring minus cams, maybe around 260/300 out back.
I have seen plenty of 99+ builds and they tend to be just shy of that, 253/295 range, I figure the extra bump should land me the numbers I would like to see.
I found an intake, but aside from brand new, not finding heads. Still the intake alone should toss me at 200RWHP.

Makes me a little sad to think that my 4.0 currently has more HP. I know for a fact my 4.0 has more rwhp, I had it dyno'd.
208/234.

But torque is where it shines, even in NPI setup.
And the fact it is lighter.

Mustang Mark

Reaction score
Didn't they come out with adapter plates to run a coyote intake? Or am I thinking of 3v 5.4s...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter