5.4l DOHC B head intake build.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Story goes like this....

About 9 years ago, i was poking at the idea of a 5.4l 4v using the B series heads. Those early days for me took a turn involving alot of life struggles and i had to put the project on hold and move forward with a more feasible project like 18.1static compression 2v...lol.

B 4v heads were used in the 96-98 cobras, also lincolns from the modulars inception back in 91. I believe they showed up in '92 fwd continentals iirc. B series heads are the first 4v heads produced for modulars and are very plentiful. Most consider them boat anchors ....mostly due to availability of intake manifolds. All there were was lincoln mark8 and front wheel drive manifolds that stopped breathing early and 96-98 cobra intakes that breath very well, but also suffer from low flowing, drivable torque flow. You guy know the history! Do i really need to explain it?

Anyhow, ....a certain someone....not naming any names (lwarrior) OOPS!

Like he always does, he has rattled whats rolling around in my head and its created alot of noise that i just cant ignore!

Solution? Give in to it! Surrender! So....after much debate with myself(that eventually lead to a nice self loving shower) ive decided to open up the 5.4l 4v files that consists of B heads!

Whats in store?
Im glad you asked! This thread will continue on with suggested info by the talented folk of sn95forums (YOU) that will help me in the creation of a solid performing intake manifold to be used on a 5.4l engine using B series 4v heads.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

damon81nola

Reaction score
Story goes like this....

About 9 years ago, i was poking at the idea of a 5.4l 4v using the B series heads. Those early days for me took a turn involving alot of life struggles and i had to put the project on hold and move forward with a more feasible project like 18.1static compression 2v...lol.

B 4v heads were used in the 96-98 cobras, also lincolns from the modulars inception back in 91. I believe they showed up in '92 fwd continentals iirc. B series heads are the first 4v heads produced for modulars and are very plentiful. Most consider them boat anchors ....mostly due to availability of intake manifolds. All there were was lincoln mark8 and front wheel drive manifolds that stopped breathing early and 96-98 cobra intakes that breath very well, but also suffer from low flowing, drivable torque flow. You guy know the history! Do i really need to explain it?

Anyhow, ....a certain someone....not naming any names (lwarrior) OOPS!

Like he always does, he has rattled whats rolling around in my head and its created alot of noise that i just cant ignore!

Solution? Give in to it! Surrender! So....after much debate with myself(that eventually lead to a nice self loving shower) ive decided to open up the 5.4l 4v files that consists of B heads!

Whats in store?
Im glad you asked! This thread will continue on with suggested info by the talented folk of sn95forums (YOU) that will help me in the creation of a solid performing intake manifold to be used on a 5.4l engine using B series 4v heads.

Color me interested

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
96blak54

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Here is whats known.

B heads are not all the same. Cobra B heads remained the same for their 3yrs of production. Not the same are the lincoln heads that eventually became the same around the end of '97. Small suttle differences not enough to seperate performance aspects. Both were pretty much the same performance wise.

What is the same is bolt patterns. All B heads had the same intake bolt pattern, location, distances.

After tons of mathmatial calculations i did back when my brain functioned well, if i can remember correctly, having the intake runner lengths around 10" long with correct runner diameters was the target dimensions i ran with. These calculations added challenges! Challenge 1 was the manufacturing aspect. Combining machined pieces to welded pieces to form a structure was not my strong suit. Challenge 2 was packaging under a hood that ultimately complicated challenge #1. Challenge 3 was repeatability that again complicated challenge 1&2.....

OP
OP
96blak54

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
So here is my idea!

Keep the intake simple!

Disregard aspects of dimensions pertaining to packaging under a hood. Let it rise!!

Basically machine head flanges, cut out a plenum box, runner tubes, and weld it together.

Where to put throttle body location, fuel rails to be used, how the runners are shaped, ......all suggested by you folk.

Draw pictures, sketches, post pics, research,...whatever!

Lets get started!

RedTwilight

Reaction score
Will this be for a naturally aspirated or a forced induction application?

I do like the looks of the Holley LS intake. Something like that would be great for an intercooled forced induction application.
300-116.jpg

BigBore96

Reaction score
Im assuming your plan is to ditch the imrcs?

If you were to actually make one. You might consider making it bolt to imrc plates. I have always deleted the imrcs but marketing it with the option of one or the other would bring in a lot more people.

As far as creating it, something like the MMR sheet metal but instead of super short runners welded to the bottom of a box you will want the runners inside the box for proper length. Which is easier on the 5.4 as the intake can be wider.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
The runners could go into a box and the top could be removable. Looks like the design shouldnt be too difficult at all. I know you can do that, [MENTION=14727]96blak54[/MENTION]

OP
OP
96blak54

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Will this be for a naturally aspirated or a forced induction application?

I do like the looks of the Holley LS intake. Something like that would be great for an intercooled forced induction application.
300-116.jpg
This is exactly what im thinking! Keeping the runners separate from each bank reduces the need for strict tolerances. The banks sharing space means holding a level of detail. Were as not sharing the space, it could have a level of sloppy and still be assembled easily. Keeping cost low, welding access to all runners, repeatable for manufacturing. It may not look the best, but functions! Never mind it popping out the hood 12".

OP
OP
96blak54

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
You know you like it!

What about building something like this?

2000_cobra_r_intake-jpg.251057
I have attempted this on a smaller scale. Being able to repeat forming the runners and them sharing space with each bank caused a lot of thinking. Design like this was my 2nd attempt. As you can tell ....it didnt get finished and i ruled it out to complicated to repeat. Although packaging under the hood would be possible!

OP
OP
96blak54

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
This is the head intake pattern. Luckily i can break the head flange into 2pc. Modulating it! Instead of a long section of aluminum, using 2pc helps reduce cost just incase a mistake happens. Only a short section is ruined compared to a full length section.
4c8db49a8285cb80e8c98ce9108e69e0.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online