5.4L Heads on a 4.6L; Will these fit?

Monday

Reaction score
I have found two (2) 5.4L engines, and I was told I have to take anything, including the cams, off myself. What about the heads? Should I grab those as well? The crankshaft? Do these just bolt on to my 4.6L 2v? Obviously getting professionally cleaned before I would mutate the engine.

Thanks for reading...

1996 Mustang GT vert

This is an older pic. But, that's the engine. SOHC.

Attachments

• 18.jpg
    18.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 6

garrittpwl

Reaction score
I have found two (2) 5.4L engines, and I was told I have to take anything, including the cams, off myself. What about the heads? Should I grab those as well? The crankshaft? Do these just bolt on to my 4.6L 2v? Obviously getting professionally cleaned before I would mutate the engine.

Thanks for reading...

1996 Mustang GT vert

This is an older pic. But, that's the engine. SOHC.
Honestly the heads are the same but PI heads can be had cheap enough with 4.6 PI cams. I don't know if the 5.4 cams are the same but I don't think so. If the heads are free, take them, otherwise buy a complete PI setup elsewhere as you'll still need cams, intake, heater tube and some other misc part I can't remember.

FYI, the crank is not the same, bigger stroke on the 5.4.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
The 5.4l heads have subtle differences but nothing that will restrict bolting any 4.6l components to. Front cover bolt size into the heads will play a roll here. Might be drilling out the holes on the front cover for bigger bolts. Not a big deal for anyone reaching that point in a build.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online