5.8 liter crate motor idea

caseypayne69

Reaction score
I was thinking today how it would be fun to buy a 95 5.0 and drop in a 5.8 liter sorta like the 95 Cobra R only better.
I've found this crate motor so far in normal and stroked versions. But is 385 or 430 hp the best we can see or are there better heads out there with port work? What would be a better head? What would be a better cam for all around power but pushed up in rpms a little? Is this block bore able to 5.8 to a 6.0 liter?

http://www.fordracingparts.com/crateengine/fiveeightliter.asp

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
Man do NOT WASTE almost 8 grand on a crate motor from ford motorsport :nonono: :nonono: you can put together your own combo for a LOT less than 8 grand :boink: and on top of that the stuff that is on that crate motor is mediocre at best. I would get a Block from DSS ( hey seems like I told someone else this a while back ;D ) any way get the block from any shop but I like DSS. you can get a 351 or a stroker version, top it with some NICE heads like Edelbrock / AFR / Holley .......whatever and then for a intake, I would use the TrickFlow 351. I have a bud who is in the process of doing a 408 Windsor and he is using that intake on his motor. Get info from both the place that does the block as well as who you get your heads from on what cam would work best for what you want out of the car.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
Here you go check out this, you can get a Pro Bullett short block and thats built ......pistons n all a 357 cube for just under 2700 and that would be better than the short block you would get from ford, you can put maybe 1500 in a set of heads and you have your long block for just over 4 grand. Plus Ill bet my left nut it will make more than 377hp :)

jpajkos

Reaction score
Snakebit is correct big time. Motorsport blocks suck man. 8 grand you can pick up a way better 5.8 and mod it yourself. I suggest an A4 block. there good motors and super strong.

Spyder

Reaction score
A4 blocks arent easy to get your hands on anymore being that they are discontinued.

I would suggest the R or even the new boss

jpajkos

Reaction score
I your looking for an A4 block let me know. I know where there's plenty for sale and they stock them regulary. Place called Advanced Engine Develpment.

Spyder

Reaction score
Well you have my attention now. How much do the sell those a4 blocks, and are they untouched?

OP
OP
C

caseypayne69

Reaction score
I take it that windsor blocks are OHV 2v? I don't want to go the stoked route because I love to play with rpms. I'd rather see it d stroked and punch the rpms to 8k. Buddy of mine is taking his 350 chevy motor and shorting the stroke to a 327 or 305 and gearing it so it can go 8k at around 400 hp. Thats about what I want out of a Ford. Any of you guys ever thought of dropping a 5.8 in ur 5.0? I would think that all that would need to be changed is the computer. Guess i'd have to look at a 95 Cobra R to get an idea. Thanks on the comments though. Can you make these 4v motors?

I just saw something I liked at Dss website for my current car.
4.6 Pro MODular High Performance SOHC Heads $6599.95 and then ask to get them ported.

95 Sleeper

Reaction score
I can give you a # to a guy that can build you a motor that coulkd rev to the moon with a dart block for the price you are going to pay for the one from Ford. He is the guy that built my motor.

TRUUBLE

-Never Forget-
Reaction score
caseypayne69 said:
I take it that windsor blocks are OHV 2v? I don't want to go the stoked route because I love to play with rpms. I'd rather see it d stroked and punch the rpms to 8k. Buddy of mine is taking his 350 chevy motor and shorting the stroke to a 327 or 305 and gearing it so it can go 8k at around 400 hp. Thats about what I want out of a Ford. Any of you guys ever thought of dropping a 5.8 in ur 5.0? I would think that all that would need to be changed is the computer. Guess i'd have to look at a 95 Cobra R to get an idea. Thanks on the comments though. Can you make these 4v motors?

I just saw something I liked at Dss website for my current car.
4.6 Pro MODular High Performance SOHC Heads $6599.95 and then ask to get them ported.

I'm dropping a stroked 5.8 (427) Man o War in my car. It'll rev to 9 grand safely . . of course that's with Jesel shaft rockers, a solid roller cam, and a crank trigger ignition system. The short block is about 5 grand from World Products.

OP
OP
C

caseypayne69

Reaction score
All that sounds pretty cool. I'm up for high rev'in potential like your Man o war motor. Besides the LS7, I thought strokin always owered RPM limit. Unless I guess you got other things compensating it.

95 Sleeper

Reaction score
caseypayne69 said:
All that sounds pretty cool. I'm up for high rev'in potential like your Man o war motor. Besides the LS7, I thought strokin always owered RPM limit. Unless I guess you got other things compensating it.
The main limits are the springs and pistons.

jpajkos

Reaction score
I will call Sean for you on those A4 blocks. He has both new and used. All his motors come with warrentys. Please PM me with your number if your serious.

G

GREG@SN95

fuck that...

dont forget to redo the suspension and build your tranny and rear

Steve-Oh

Legend
Reaction score
Snakebit said:
Man do NOT WASTE almost 8 grand on a crate motor from ford motorsport :nonono: :nonono: you can put together your own combo for a LOT less than 8 grand :boink: and on top of that the stuff that is on that crate motor is mediocre at best. I would get a Block from DSS ( hey seems like I told someone else this a while back ;D ) any way get the block from any shop but I like DSS. you can get a 351 or a stroker version, top it with some NICE heads like Edelbrock / AFR / Holley .......whatever and then for a intake, I would use the TrickFlow 351. I have a bud who is in the process of doing a 408 Windsor and he is using that intake on his motor. Get info from both the place that does the block as well as who you get your heads from on what cam would work best for what you want out of the car.

Werd...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online