5 speed swap questions

SN90FiveOh

Reaction score
Hey everyone! My auto was trashed when i opened it up so now I will be doing a t5 swap. I currently have a trans, clutch, flywheel, harness, shifter, OEM cable, Pedal assembly. I have my quadrant and adjuster on order. I lack a driveshaft and some knowledge.

First question is about my tune. I have a diablo sport predator tuner, what would be the easiest way to convert my ecu to 5 speed?

The transmission i have is from a 98, my car is a 2000, whats the difference in the output speed sensors?

How do you wire in a clutch saftey switch?

I'm sure I will have more questions in which case I will ask at a later time. Thanks for all the help that you guys always give! I'm super excited to get this 5 speed working!!!

OP
OP
S

SN90FiveOh

Reaction score
Also, How is the t5 rear crossmember going to bolt to my body? My car looks to be made different than the one that I took the transmission from.

lutter94

Reaction score
I know my 99 v6 t5 I put in my 94 bolted right to my stock cross member. It had a purely electronic vss sensor, not a mechanical to vss adapter like the earlier ones. I had to use my speedcal to fix the speed though

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
How about the other way around? His car is an 00 and he has the trans from a 98. Would the speedcal correct that also?

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
And [MENTION=20223]SN90FiveOh[/MENTION] you dont lack knowledge, you just lack having me around at the time!

lutter94

Reaction score
Just looked it up, the Ford Racing Speed Cal works for 94-04 Manual/Auto Cars, so I would assume they are all VSS??

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
I'm, then that makes sense. The output signal of the speed sensor is the same, it just the way it's driven that is different.

lutter94

Reaction score
Can the new edge cars get the speedo fixed with a "tune"? I don't believe they have the drive gear that can be swapped out like the fox/94/95 t5's. A speed cal is pretty handy, not gonna lie.

lutter94

Reaction score
Am has the drive gear for 94-98. Must just be a pickup sensor in 99+. You're easiest bet will def be a Ford racing speed cal

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Auto and manuals share the same driveshaft. I bought a Ford racing aluminum when I did my conversion. Didn't put in a neutral safety switch, no need to IMO but for some people it's added safety. As far as the tune goes, there are things that function for an auto tranny that need to be turned off. I just swapped computers since I didn't have a tuner, but you should have no issue shutting those things off

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Will his tuner do it? I don't think mine had a neutral switch, just a clutch in safety

The neutral safety thing? No thats just a switch that plugs in behind the pedal. I never installed one in mine. Whats the clutch in safety, like whats it do?

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
It is just a clutch safety. Also, on the 99+ you can't just swap computers, PATS doesn't like it. Best option there is a tune to disable auto functions. He has a comp cam anyway so a tune will help out. As for the driveshaft, I know for a fact that the 4r70w and a t45 (which should be the same as a t5) have a different spline on the output shaft. When I did my t45 swap I tried using my old driveshaft and it would not spline up. Also [MENTION=10528]lutter94[/MENTION] yes the handheld fixes the speedo but I didn't know if the old gear style would output the correct signal for the 99+ gauges to run properly. I agree a speedcal with be the best option here.

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
The neutral safety thing? No thats just a switch that plugs in behind the pedal. I never installed one in mine. Whats the clutch in safety, like whats it do?
The clutch in safety makes it so you have to press the clutch to start the car.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online

No members online now.