5-speed swap to 6-speed manual

STLSN95

Reaction score
I have a 98 GT with a hurst short throw 5-speed manual, that anytime I really get on it it makes somewhat of a grinding noise (its hard to really explain it unless u hear it) and acts almost like its not catching. Ive had it looked at been told possibly the trans but no one "knows" and apparently it has a newer "performance clutch" and its really tight so its not that according to the last mechanic. Alright so with my current 5-speed when I'm on the highway the 5th gear sounds so strained I almost feel like I'm drivin a damn 4cyl. So my question prior to my 98 I had a 07 GT 6-speed and u could haul ass in 6th gear and never know it and it never feel strained, so is there a way and if so how difficult would it be to swap the T-45/5-speed for a 6-speed manual trans? And really is it even worth my time doing? Or is the a better solution?
Thank you guys/ladies in advance for any help u may be able to give me, sorry if I'm confusing :tongue3:

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
A 6 speed trans will give you another overdrive gear and that will make your car feel even slower on the hwy. Go for gears instead. 3:55, 3:73, 4:10.

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
2007 gt's came with 5 speeds....and its probably just because you've got a npi turd with no power and maybe even thst 2.73 rear

Some better gears. 3.55-3.73.4.10s will wake it up a ton in 5th

98BlackGT

Reaction score
yeah dude, its your gearing thats why your 5th is so bad. i had the same problem. i went to 3.73's i love em.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Unless you were in a gt500, or the person spent a buttload of $$ on the GT, it was a 5 speed.

t-56 ratios are lower than the t-5, so your car would in fact be slower, but most would argue, more fun. I want one, real bad.

Easiest way to counter all of that, as has already been stated, gears gears gears!

Best bang for your buck mod on these ol turds :)

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
I plan on going viper spec t56 in the upcoming months... Already started the separate savings for it but **** over 4k :(

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
I wanna get my 5th/6th gear swapped out for that .5 6th gear lol

Its all about gearing though, with those 2.73s the RPMs have to be so low in that thing

OP
OP
STLSN95

STLSN95

Reaction score
I'm almost positive my 07 GT I had a 6th gear, I was the 3rd owner so maybe someone changed it I'm not sure but unfortunately it got totaled at the young age of 68,xxx miles and I don't remember nor can I check which sucks cuz that's going to bug the shit out of me.

The guy prior to the guy I bought my 98 mustang Gt from did a lot of the work so the guy I bought it from apparently his too dumb to ask questions because he couldn't tell me shit. The rear end u can tell has been resealed so I'm not sure if it has gears put in already or not, and a couple other bolt ons, exhaust shit, staggered wheels and new tires I jus bought, ect. That noise that I was talkin about after that it becomes harder to shift into 1st and 2nd and sometimes 3rd, so I am trying to figure out if I should get another t45 which the going consensus is that it pretty much ****in blows, soooo I was turned to the tko500/600 and am I guess kinda wanting to know what u guys think about it, what have u heard about em, do u have one, ect.

mike989

Reaction score
I thought about doing the swap to but after reading this I'll probably end up throwing either the 3.73 or 4.10 out back and hope for the best. I do like the T-56 though ever since I drove my buddies GTO

Willis_98GT

Reaction score
I thought about doing the swap to but after reading this I'll probably end up throwing either the 3.73 or 4.10 out back and hope for the best. I do like the T-56 though ever since I drove my buddies GTO

Its sweet man, Gears was a pretty early mod on my car too. when i contemplated 4.10 or 3.73 i just got a 3.90 gear. best of both worlds in my opinion. i can still bury my top speed and destroy people from light to light.

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
T56 will not make your car feel slower.. It has a better gearing so when you go from 4 to 5 it doesn't bog down like a regular 5 speed.would..

DeepList

Administrator
Admin
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The "extra gear" between 4th and 5th will keep the RPMs up and allow for better accelerating before going into overdrive and if you ever decide to step up the power in your car, the T56 would be a stronger transmission to have in place.

But on the other hand, the standard terminator T56 weighs more and will rob more power from your engine. Also, unless it's an aftermarket build T56, the 5th gear in the T56 is basically between the 4th and 5th gear in our 5 speeds and the 6th gear in the T56 has a ratio of 0.63 compared to 0.67 on our 5th gear.... not much of a difference. If you do the swap, you're going to also need to replace the pinion flange, driveshaft, cross member and u-joints.

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
I don't think the T56 is really goign to rob more power from the engine, and being that the gearing is closer ratio it should improve acceleration despite being heavier. I believe the Termy T56 has a .62 6th, no it's not really low but it will still save a couple hundred RPM. Also you will not need to replace the pinion flange and the U-joint, it'll be one or the other. I spend a lot of time between 40-50mph where i'm constantly jumping between 4th and 5th gear because of traffic and what not, with the T56 that 5th gear is going to be a perfect combo for between town and highway speeds.

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
Termy has the .67.. The cobra r one had the .62..
Pinion flange and u joint really depends on the drive shaft you at going to be using..
If your going to get the stock one shorten the you just need the u Joint for the yolk and drive shaft. Of you get the cobra drive shaft then its either one at the rear end..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online