5-speed swap to 6-speed manual

DeepList

Administrator
Admin
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I don't think the T56 is really goign to rob more power from the engine, and being that the gearing is closer ratio it should improve acceleration despite being heavier.

Yes, it will rob some power and the weight difference is about 40 or 50 lbs if I recall.

I believe the Termy T56 has a .62 6th, no it's not really low but it will still save a couple hundred RPM.

No the termi T56 has a 0.63 6th.

Also you will not need to replace the pinion flange and the U-joint, it'll be one or the other.

Are you sure? I was told by somebody that's already done the swap that you needed to do both.

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
Is there any reasoning behind robbing more power? I've always read the 6th gear was .62 but either way it's not like it's going to make or break your decision over .01. It depends which U joint you're talking about, if you buy an 03 Cobra driveshaft you either have to install the pinion flange or swap the U joint at the rear. That's the easiest way to do it, otherwise I guess you could swap both U joints if you needed a new yoke but then you'd have to get the stock driveshaft shortened as well.

DeepList

Administrator
Admin
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Is there any reasoning behind robbing more power?

I considered doing the T56 swap on my 99 cobra a while back and did some extensive research on it. I found numerous sites online where guys posted their dyno numbers both before and after the T56 swap. In almost every instance, there was a consistent drop of about 30 to 35 RWHP.... not just with mustangs, but with other cars too.

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
30whp? Sorry I have to call bs on that one, doesn't make sense. in fact this is the first I've heard of it.

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
Is there any reasoning behind robbing more power? I've always read the 6th gear was .62 but either way it's not like it's going to make or break your decision over .01. It depends which U joint you're talking about, if you buy an 03 Cobra driveshaft you either have to install the pinion flange or swap the U joint at the rear. That's the easiest way to do it, otherwise I guess you could swap both U joints if you needed a new yoke but then you'd have to get the stock driveshaft shortened as well.
Termy has the .67.. The cobra r one had the .62..
Pinion flange and u joint really depends on the drive shaft you at going to be using..
If your going to get the stock one shorten the you just need the u Joint for the yolk and drive shaft. Of you get the cobra drive shaft then its either one at the rear end..
Gear*Ratio*1st*2.66*2nd*1.78*3rd*1.30*4th*1.00*5th*0.80*6th*0.63*Reverse*2.90
Guess .63 is right

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
So he switched to a slightly larger motor and a T56 and gained about 35whp (i'm no expert but 347-363ci that seems pretty good for same parts?), that's after saying his 347 was freakishly overpowerful and also saying he never had the car on the dyno after the T56 swap, just datalogging on a stretch of road. I'm not 100% sure how datalogging works but when I did it in my car I don't recall seeing anything that would have indicated a gain or loss of power, but more what you need to change to better the tune.

So say the trans took 30whp (call it 35hp at the engine), does he really thinks witching from a 347 to a 363 with all the same parts would actually gain him ~85 at the engine? (dynoed 35 more with new build + supposed 32whp loss from T56) That seems a bit optimistic to me but someone more familiar with this please enlighten me. It just doesn't add up.

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
rz5.0 i'm 99% sure the Cobra trans has the 2.97 first gear, not the 2.66 that everyone seems to like to post. so I'm not really sold on believing those posts I guess you could say.

DeepList

Administrator
Admin
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
So he switched to a slightly larger motor and a T56 and gained about 35whp (i'm no expert but 347-363ci that seems pretty good for same parts?), that's after saying his 347 was freakishly overpowerful and also saying he never had the car on the dyno after the T56 swap, just datalogging on a stretch of road. I'm not 100% sure how datalogging works but when I did it in my car I don't recall seeing anything that would have indicated a gain or loss of power, but more what you need to change to better the tune.

So say the trans took 30whp (call it 35hp at the engine), does he really thinks witching from a 347 to a 363 with all the same parts would actually gain him ~85 at the engine? (dynoed 35 more with new build + supposed 32whp loss from T56) That seems a bit optimistic to me but someone more familiar with this please enlighten me. It just doesn't add up.

I guess you didn't read the whole thread, specifically this post: http://forums.corral.net/forums/11005630-post9.html

Regardless... don't take my word for it. I'm only reporting what I've read on numerous sites and been told by others.

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
Sorry but no.
1st-2.972nd-2.073rd-1.434th-15th-.806th-.62
Sound like this is three gear ratio your thinking about..
That's the cobra r gear ratio.. Also used in the fox swap ford racing t56..
The sucky thing about this gear ratio. Is there is no 26 spline upgrade for the input shaft..
This is the trans i have right now.. Unless you get one custom made.

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
It should have a 7 tooth gear in it. If this unit is a 2.97 ratio unit, there is no 26 spline input shaft available for it from Tremec. I might be able to machine a GM shaft to fit it but you're looking at about $450 including the shaft.
that's what The Source told me. He is on other forums. Deals with Trans.

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
Oh gotcha, either gearing I'm fine with. The car will be on the road soon enough and the proof will be in the pudding.

I guess you didn't read the whole thread, specifically this post: http://forums.corral.net/forums/11005630-post9.html

Regardless... don't take my word for it. I'm only reporting what I've read on numerous sites and been told by others.

I read that, it clearly says he never had it on the dyno after the T56 swap. he didn't install a 16ci larger engine and make 80 more hp, that guy is out of his mind if he thinks that regardless of what he thinks he sees in his data-logging.

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
I think 30 is allot.. Its hard to say unless they dyno back to back after the swap with no other changes..
You can't really say it's going to be 30 hp lost since it really depends on your power level.
I don't a see a extra gear taking all that much more power to turn..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ccrider

Members online