5-speed to 6-speed tranny?

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Are 5 and 6-speed manual transmission’s the same size? Can a 6th gear be added to a 5-speed?

I feel like my car “wants” a 6th gear at freeway speeds (or higher) ;-)

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
The 6 speed trans is physically larger than the 5 speed but will still fit the car. You have to cut out a little around the shifter area but it’s not a big deal.

I have never heard of anyone being able to add another gear to the t5, there’s no room in the housing for more gears.

There have been folks that swap gear ratios and get a better overdrive gear, but never adding a 6th.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Thx, warrior! So as is, I feel like I’m out of 1st gear quickly (maybe the 3.55 rear gears?) AND… I’d like a top end gear that reduces rpm’s. After 1st gear, I pretty much use 2,3 and 4. But admittedly I am pretty soft on the gas pedal

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Is there a tried and trued ratio set?

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
I will do some research and see what we can come up with. If you swap gear sets, you’ll have to have a transmission shop tear down and build the existing trans.

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
So apparently there are a few different gear sets for the t5, and I do not know how to identify them. Some transmissions had a 3.35 first gear and some had a 2.95 first gear. I believe your car has the 3.35 first and that will make the gear shorter, but acceleration is better.

If you want solid information about mustang transmissions, I’d say get in touch with Stan at Pro-Force Performance. He is out of Georgia but answers emails pretty quick and is happy to share information. He helped me a bunch with my t45 I just built.

Makoto

Reaction score
you did the magnum swap right? hows the feel of that thing? the t45 seems kinda finicky.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
my only complaint about the magnum is that I have not got to drive it enough yet................ Well and it took a while to get use to sliding it into 6th and reverse.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Terrific, thanks Warrior! I’ll give him a shout and get a feel for what it’s gonna take.

Cheers and thanks again!!

joemomma

Reaction score
The folks at American Powertrain are pretty sharp too from what I hear, and they are local to me in TN. Give them a ring if Stan doesn't help you out.

EDIT: and I feel you on wanting a taller OD. With the 4.10s it's singing pretty good at highway speed (3k running at interstate speeds). I like the way it's geared now, but a taller (or extra gear) OD would be nice.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I got mine through silversport transmission in tenn and could not have been happier with how I was taken care of.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Anything a tad further West? Like about 2,000 miles West in Cali?!!!

I’ll ask around…

Notthenow

Reaction score
Stan is a great source of knowledge and parts for t5 and t45 transmissions.

Procharged87

Reaction score
I used a T56 from an 03-04 Cobra to replace my T5. Has a higher first gear (2.95 vs 3.35) which makes first more usable and a higher 6th gear for highway cruising. Problem for me is that I need more rear gear though as I wanted to get the trans in first to see how much gear I’d need. For my purposes, I think a 3.55 is likely ideal which is what I believe the transmissions were setup for initially anyhow. I did have to wire up a reverse gate override though to be able to shift into reverse and use a Speedcal since my T5 was gear driven and the T56 uses an electronic sender.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I used a T56 from an 03-04 Cobra to replace my T5. Has a higher first gear (2.95 vs 3.35) which makes first more usable and a higher 6th gear for highway cruising. Problem for me is that I need more rear gear though as I wanted to get the trans in first to see how much gear I’d need. For my purposes, I think a 3.55 is likely ideal which is what I believe the transmissions were setup for initially anyhow. I did have to wire up a reverse gate override though to be able to shift into reverse and use a Speedcal since my T5 was gear driven and the T56 uses an electronic sender.
I have the close ratio on my magnum with 3.55s and it is a nice combination.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online