5 speed to auto swap

jfor441

Legend
Reaction score
Hey guys.... I have a couple of questions. After the last couple of weekends of going out to the track, I am hooked and want to start doing some bracket racing. That being said, I have the motor well on its way but my question comes down to the transmission. I love driving a 5 speed, but for consistency at the track an auto would be better. Any of ya'll run some race ready transmissions? What all would be needed for me to swap from the 5 speed to the auto?

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
you can buy complete swaps from www.mpsautosalvage.com or find someone who wants to do a reverse swap as thats more common. You might even be able to get them to do the work or pay for it since they usually want a 5 sp more then you want an auto. Our auto's are pretty good (4R70w) A good place to buy a complete race prepped unit would be www.bc-automotive.com

OP
OP
J

jfor441

Legend
Reaction score
Awesome DropTop! Thanks for that. I been searching the interweb and several other mustang sites with very litttle dealing with the 4r70.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
For the absolute best 4R70W info go over to www.tccoa.com
Thats the forums for Tbirds/Cougars/Crown Vics....they all came with auto's so thats the place to read up. They have a Trans 101 section with articles written by Jerry W, he is one of the actual engineers who designed the trans and he gives tips on modding them.

atrainsgt

Reaction score
Old thread I know but I'm possibly thinking of swapping out my t-45 for a 4r70w and wondered if you got yours done? The stock 4r70w should handle the power of the 5.4L I want to put to it. Right now I'm trying to figure out what parts I am going to need for the swap. Any info you have would be great. Thanks

OP
OP
J

jfor441

Legend
Reaction score
Still have not done my swap yet... http://www.lasotaracing.com/tech.html This is the only link I have found with someone doing a 5speed to auto swap. You will need to get a computer from an auto car as well as the wiring harness for the auto transmission. Other than that it seems to be a fairly straight forward swap.

voidfinger

Reaction score
if you had a basically brand new 5 speed i would do it... just put an 4r70w in with 20k miles on it. and spent a ton of money. :) plus i have a shop if someone would drive lol.

atrainsgt

Reaction score
jfor441 said:
Still have not done my swap yet... http://www.lasotaracing.com/tech.html This is the only link I have found with someone doing a 5speed to auto swap. You will need to get a computer from an auto car as well as the wiring harness for the auto transmission. Other than that it seems to be a fairly straight forward swap.

It does seem straight forward but something unexpected will come up, always does. I've found some decent prices on 4r70w transmissions so I should be able to swing it. Thanks for that link BTW.

atrainsgt

Reaction score
What are these auto guys changing to make the auto's shift so high? Shift kit? The reason I'm asking is that I have driven stock auto gt's and they are anything but quick in the stock form. Can you program for high OD off shift points?

Mr Jones 4.6

Reaction score
All you do is get a valvebody or buy a shift kit which modifies the valvebody and that really wakes up these transmissions. After that you can take and with a tuner really fine tune exactly where you want it to shift and how hard. Pretty simple.

Good Luck with your swap, im hopefully doing the same here on a Cobra hopefully.

atrainsgt

Reaction score
Thanks, I found a tranny I will probably buy but I have to check on some things, I got a 1998 and they seem to have some weird things that are changed.

Steven

Legend
Reaction score
i'll have all my auto swap pieces left over from my 5 speed swap

Steven

Legend
Reaction score
atrainsgt said:
That would be great. Maybe we can work something out.

if your wantin to get a deal going, then we can. I have most everything i need already, other then a harness/trans mount. i'm in sc, south side

96sohc

Reaction score
Without sounding like an ass, its the exact reverse of doing an auto to 5 speed swap; the only variance being you need a new computer.

atrainsgt

Reaction score
May sound like a simple swap but I've never had a auto so the I'm not sure would be involved in the reverse. So you have the interior parts as well V? What about the stock computer? Let me know

Steven

Legend
Reaction score
atrainsgt said:
May sound like a simple swap but I've never had a auto so the I'm not sure would be involved in the reverse. So you have the interior parts as well V? What about the stock computer? Let me know
i have my computer, which i'll trade you out for yours. since yours is a 98 like mine, we can swap computers. I already have the pedals out, and i have most everything i need already.

atrainsgt

Reaction score
Awesome, can you take some pics so I can see the condition of the shifter bezel and everything? My car looks like new inside and I'm trying to keep it that way. Your interior is black right?

Fets

Post Whore
Reaction score
Josh I got a nice auto for you to swap in if you wanna trade me for your 5speed :afro:

Steven

Legend
Reaction score
atrainsgt said:
Awesome, can you take some pics so I can see the condition of the shifter bezel and everything? My car looks like new inside and I'm trying to keep it that way. Your interior is black right?

yep, and mines is pretty good shape, i already have a shift boot around my auto shifter though. Looks cooler :coolsmiley:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online