$50 paint job?

Kornnut

Reaction score
I have been thinking about his also. The boat paint in the second link maybe a better way then rustolem.

OP
OP
J

jfor441

Legend
Reaction score
Kornnut said:
I have been thinking about his also. The boat paint in the second link maybe a better way then rustolem.

The toyota guys paint jobs really looked good. I was very impressed. I got some paint starting to peel off my car and its starting to get ugly. I am on a tight budget with the motor build and in need of a paint job. Might have to give this a go.

95PGTTech

Reaction score
now advance auto parts (where I work) sells a no-thinner line of duplicolor paints. If you take into account that your average person with the skill to spray a car already has an enclosed at least one car garage that he can empty out and detox and an air compressor, you can pick up the paint, a set of two guns from us, some acetone, misc tape and stuff for around $200. That's primer, base color, and clear.

however, as with any of these cheap methods, they all require:

1. HUGE amounts of prepwork, detail work, and effort - in my experience, this is what everyone does NOT want to do. Sanding, bodywork, masking off, sanding, buffing, sanding, and did I mention sanding, never seem to end. Wetsanding between coats and buffing are two of the things your average first timer does not know how to do properly and are what make a world of difference.

2. acceptance of the fact that you are not doing it the professional way and will not get professional results - if you enter your car in shows, forget about it from now on. your car will only be a daily.

OP
OP
J

jfor441

Legend
Reaction score
95PGTTech said:
now advance auto parts (where I work) sells a no-thinner line of duplicolor paints. If you take into account that your average person with the skill to spray a car already has an enclosed at least one car garage that he can empty out and detox and an air compressor, you can pick up the paint, a set of two guns from us, some acetone, misc tape and stuff for around $200. That's primer, base color, and clear.

1. HUGE amounts of prepwork, detail work, and effort - in my experience, this is what everyone does NOT want to do. Sanding, bodywork, masking off, sanding, buffing, sanding, and did I mention sanding, never seem to end. Wetsanding between coats and buffing are two of the things your average first timer does not know how to do properly and are what make a world of difference.

2. acceptance of the fact that you are not doing it the professional way and will not get professional results - if you enter your car in shows, forget about it from now on. your car will only be a daily.

I have never been the car show type. Thats why I am considering this.

Kornnut

Reaction score
95PGTTech said:

This has already been discussed on the corral with that line of paint. IT will take a little more then $200 in just paint alone. Around $300 in paint and if you buy anything else its going to be upwards of $400. By that time you can go to a macco or such.

95PGTTech

Reaction score
maaco starts at $800, and if you've ever seen their paint even a first timer who gives it good effort even with no skill can do a better job. I have yet to see a maaco job (that didn't go as a side job to one of their painters) that has been good looking even at ten feet.

JonBeast

Legend
Reaction score
I would consider doing it to a beater...but never on a half decent car.

Kornnut

Reaction score
95PGTTech said:
maaco starts at $800, and if you've ever seen their paint even a first timer who gives it good effort even with no skill can do a better job. I have yet to see a maaco job (that didn't go as a side job to one of their painters) that has been good looking even at ten feet.

Macco starts out cheaper then $800.

95KBGT

Legend
Reaction score
guys guys guys

if you want a cheap paint job shoot me a PM if you can get your car here to texas, if you buy a single stage paint it whatever color you want i will paint your car for 300. simple scuff and shoot.

OP
OP
J

jfor441

Legend
Reaction score
KB said:
guys guys guys

if you want a cheap paint job shoot me a PM if you can get your car here to texas, if you buy a single stage paint it whatever color you want i will paint your car for 300. simple scuff and shoot.

you'd paint a white car black for that? It would cost me more to drive out there and back LOL

S

scarface

KB said:
guys guys guys

where the hell was that offer back when I owed "Frankenstang" ???

trav_19

Legend
Reaction score
300 to change my color ...damn you might be seeing my car on a flatbed kb hahaha

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online