500hp 500tq N/A.. What would it take?

MAXX RS4

Reaction score
Once I get outta college, my plans are to build up an n/a motor that could achieve 500hp 500tq with a streetable tune.

What would your guys aproach be? I would def start from scratch with a new block and everything..

I just wanna hear what you guys would do if you could!

MeanGrn Gt

Reaction score
Well since you are starting from all new i would start with a 351w(stronger than a 302 block and more cubes). Stroke it to 408 w/ a good h/c/i, bigger maf, inj and all the supporting stuff. Get it tuned (or get a tuner and diy). Or i guess if you wanted to stick with a 302 stroke it to a 331/347 and do the same, but dont get to insane and split the block (maybe get a stronger aftermarket block)I like n/a power... but this winter i am hoping to slap a single turbo on the motor and go have some fun :naughty: . Serious power at a reasonable cost really (very reasonable if you do a diy junkyard set up but i am going w/ a kit).

OP
OP
M

MAXX RS4

Reaction score
I'm sticking modular, thanks though. :hammer:

I would slap a turbo on mine, but there's 115k on the motor and it'd have to be built anyway to hold much boost for that much power.

MeanGrn Gt

Reaction score
didnt even think about it being a mod. You would be suprised on how much power you can make compared to the amount of boost you are running. I figure on being well over 400 hp on a stock motor basically running around 10 lbs of boost(10lbs is fairly conservative). They say you can run more boost when compared to a sc as turbos are easier on motor. I even saw were guys were running over 16lbs on a stock motor for over a year and it was fine :eek: , but i am not going to try it. The kit is going to be around 3500, plus i will need maf, inj and the minor stuff but nothing major all that comes with the kit. So the $$ to power gains is going to be pretty good. I dont know a whole lot about mods but i know the blocks are much stronger than the old pushrod 302. Might want to look into a turbo when ya get the $$

97vertstang

Reaction score
a 4.6 2valve???? no way in hell ull get to 500rwhp N/A!!!!! and it has to be a STOUT 4 valve to make that much power.u would need lots of $$$$$$$$ to acheive that. in another hand BOOST will get u there and for less money. either way u need a fully build engine. boost and nitrous are ur best friends!!!!!!!!!! :thumb:
not trying to bring ur parade down but modulars have small bores 3.55 air flow is very limited!! but the block is strong and their made for boost!!!!! why do u think ford themselves installed a blower on the 03-04 cobras. even if it was possble it would have to be a 14:1 cammed up the ass, drag engine.theres 1000s of blown streatable 2valves not to mention even more streetable 4 valves. BOOST>N/A in modulars

Peter

Reaction score
only way you can come close would be a build navi 5.4 (dohc)

even then I bet it would only make 400at the wheels but if you added boost, well over 650 hahaha

it takes a lot of money to play with mod motors

but navi based add cams, port the heads, add turbo and hold the fuck on (this is of course after all the other supporting mods ie tranny, fuel system, suspension, chassis)

97vertstang

Reaction score
the 5.4 4 valve is the closest u'll get(like peter said ) but it will take lots of fabrication.i know u will need a custom intake( i heard its around $3,000 :eek: )or find a cobra r intake.and a lot more

OP
OP
M

MAXX RS4

Reaction score
Well, I was planning on staying modular, but not 2V!! :rollinglaugh:

If I just added forged internals, heads, cams, the works, PLUS a turbo (no more than 10lbs), how much could I put down safely to run day in and day out without problems? That would set me back about $6-10k depending on parts/labor right?

97vertstang

Reaction score
i think it will cost u a lot more than that.i think the hp turbo kits are around 6k themselves. but, a stock headed, forged 4.6 4 valve with a turbo will make 600rwhp in its sleep. i personally think a 03-04 cobra engine with a kenne belle or whipple will be the cheapest and will make 600+rwhp!!!!!!!

MeanGrn Gt

Reaction score
if you are even thinking of going turbo go check out TURBOS . 10 lbs would be easy if you had a forged bottom end. There are a lot of different kits out there (i would imagine never looked into mod turbos), and hp's is probably not the cheapest. There may be other good kits for less $$ so just do your research.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
Obviously it would have to be a 4 valve 4.6 or a 5.4 to achieve this level of hp and tq. There is a guy over on SVT performance that has the FR500 set up on his cobra ( heads cam intake) and the supporting bolt-ons and he has close to 400rhwp with that ( around 450 at the flywheel. I don't think he has any head work done so they are the stock FR500 castings and the cams are the factory FR500 grind also. So with head work and maybe more aggressive cams I'm sure a few more hp could be gotten out of these parts. Bottom line is to make this level of power out of a n/a modular is going to take some big bucks and a well thought out plan on what parts to get................you would probally come out cheaper just to get a 4 valve out of a wrecked car and slap a blower or turbo on that baby 8)

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
jpajkos said:
Matt94GT said:
lol 2v 500hp haha

Hey im half way there and im not even tuned yet! 2v POWA!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:....................... :rollinglaugh: :rollinglaugh: :rollinglaugh: :rollinglaugh: :rollinglaugh: :rollinglaugh: :rollinglaugh: :rollinglaugh: :rollinglaugh: :rollinglaugh:

Peter

Reaction score
yah build the bottom end, add a turbo on even a close to stock setup and you will be in the neighbour hood of 500rwhp with 10-12 psi

good things about turbos is that you can controll the boost/power through the wastegate where as with a blower you have to pulley it.

MeanGrn Gt

Reaction score
and a turbo doesnt take away power like a supercharger due to the extra drag

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
To get 500rwhp NA you will definately need a 4V...Boss330 Racing has several 5.4 4V's in that area.

So far the most i've seen out of a 2V is 400hp NA and that took a big bore stroker/heavily ported heads/cams etc etc from VT Engines...it was a race application and very expensive....much easier and cheaper to slap on a KB.

S

scarface

what is the deal with people wanting to hit big power going NA?..Is it just to say you did it? Boosted is the only way to go IMHO. why spend all that money, when you could just turbo a 4v and get WAYYYYY more HP. But good luck on your quest! keep us updated

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
scarface said:
what is the deal with people wanting to hit big power going NA?..Is it just to say you did it? Boosted is the only way to go IMHO. why spend all that money, when you could just turbo a 4v and get WAYYYYY more HP. But good luck on your quest! keep us updated

I'd be happy to hit 500hp with a jet engine.........as long as I get there :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online