6 piston Brembo brake setup

OP
OP
JeremyAlan

JeremyAlan

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rotors came in today. Bottle for size reference lol :)

999130_10201631436576341_699290499_n.jpg

OP
OP
JeremyAlan

JeremyAlan

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did this ever get finished.. lol

Haven't made any headway, yet. The two calipers got separated-- one is here in the UK with me and the other is in SC --I will get the other one and will get the bracket prototyped. I recently just found a local guy who has access to some badass computer controlled machining stuff, so that will help when I get a prototype bracket. I'll keep you guys updated.

Also, to continue the line of excuses... I sliced my thumb while working on the motor ~6 months ago cutting the tendon that makes the end of your thumb straighten out. I recently had to have a second surgery and don't have 100% use of my left hand yet :) I'm at 50% effectiveness here! lol

Cpotts13

Reaction score
Haven't made any headway, yet. The two calipers got separated-- one is here in the UK with me and the other is in SC --I will get the other one and will get the bracket prototyped. I recently just found a local guy who has access to some badass computer controlled machining stuff, so that will help when I get a prototype bracket. I'll keep you guys updated.

Also, to continue the line of excuses... I sliced my thumb while working on the motor ~6 months ago cutting the tendon that makes the end of your thumb straighten out. I recently had to have a second surgery and don't have 100% use of my left hand yet :) I'm at 50% effectiveness here! lol

Im sure if you were to mass produce those brackets you would have quite a few buyers... lmk if I can help over in the states.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I know a place locally that has a laser cutter that could do it. I had them use it to cut my fender badges and the price was really reasonable imo. They also do metal sales so they could send you the complete cut brackets.

ReplicaR

Reaction score
Yeah, that does make, since they are using a GT500 rotor with a GT caliper... well, maybe they will come up with something different. Has anyone tried running S197 calipers on SN95 spindles? Do the mounting holes line up?

Cpotts13

Reaction score
Yeah, that does make, since they are using a GT500 rotor with a GT caliper... well, maybe they will come up with something different. Has anyone tried running S197 calipers on SN95 spindles? Do the mounting holes line up?

No they wont. There is a forum member here that makes adapter brackets to run Gt calipers and 14" rotors...

OP
OP
JeremyAlan

JeremyAlan

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
It seems like it would be a LOT cheaper to go this route. Rather than cutting and moving stuff, get this kit, and the adapter bracket from FTR

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2015-MUSTAN...Parts_Accessories&hash=item339cf51375&vxp=mtr

Did you read my first post?

$250 for rotors
$278 for caliper
$240 for other caliper

It's not cheaper in the least. Also, those are 15" rotors. Which if I'm not mistaken, won't fit under 18" wheels. You would need a 19" wheel to clear them.

I noticed those come with brake pads - presuming they are stock and used since these are take off brakes. So, you'd probably put a new set in there anyway.

Tire Rack brake pads for CTS-V

Hawk pads on the site range from $155 to $312 ... My car is going to be a street car with some track use, so I'll probably get something in the $180 range.

$768 + 180 = 948. Still cheaper :)

Cpotts13

Reaction score
The BBK I just pieced together is cheaper still...... $380 for pads, brackets, ss lines. $330 for calipers and $180 for rotors. Is a 4 piston caliper and 14" rotor. Even though it's only 4 pistons I can almost guarantee that is has more piston surface area then the oem ctsv. Plus with the wilwood calipers you can choose your piston sizes.... so total is $900 even shipped. However I still think those huge brembos would look great behind a nice set of wheels and I'm still interested in brackets if you ever make them. [emoji122]

cab4921fd8ef9380c436a7dfb56c8659.jpg

ReplicaR

Reaction score
It doesn't look like you use the full surface of the rotor though. Was there another caliper that you could have used that would have took a full advantage of the 14 inch rotor surface?

Cpotts13

Reaction score
It doesn't look like you use the full surface of the rotor though. Was there another caliper that you could have used that would have took a full advantage of the 14 inch rotor surface?

No there wasnt, and that was my initial concern with this kit. If I had to do it again Id go with the 13" kit to get more used rotor space. However I do have full pad on rotor contact.

OP
OP
JeremyAlan

JeremyAlan

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
The BBK I just pieced together is cheaper still...... $380 for pads, brackets, ss lines. $330 for calipers and $180 for rotors. Is a 4 piston caliper and 14" rotor. Even though it's only 4 pistons I can almost guarantee that is has more piston surface area then the oem ctsv. Plus with the wilwood calipers you can choose your piston sizes.... so total is $900 even shipped. However I still think those huge brembos would look great behind a nice set of wheels and I'm still interested in brackets if you ever make them. [emoji122]

cab4921fd8ef9380c436a7dfb56c8659.jpg

First off, the car looks good! I like those brakes, I just don't like the sweep area it's giving you on the outside of the rotor.

I used this calculator: http://brakepower.com/help_abc_27_PAC_t.htm

Those brakes with the 41.2mm pistons has a piston-area-per-axle of 10659mm
The Cadillac brakes have a stepped piston size to keep brake pad wear even(30/34/38mm) and comes in at 10990mm.

Also, sweep area of the brake pads is quite different.

Stock Cobra PBR calipers(8,813.28mm):
stoptech-mustang-street-performance-front-brake-pads-94-04-cobra-492-309-04120(3).jpg

Wilwood kit(7,428.68mm):
7420-pd-lg.jpg

CTS-V Brembos(17,577mm):
hb-649.jpg

I know those measurements are the greatest for area because it's measuring the area of a rectangle and not the shape of the pad itself. Just threw them in there to get an idea on size difference.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online