6 piston Brembo brake setup

ReplicaR

Reaction score
No there wasnt, and that was my initial concern with this kit. If I had to do it again Id go with the 13" kit to get more used rotor space. However I do have full pad on rotor contact.

Oh, I can see that the pad on rotor contact is really good, it's kinda like the case with factory Cobra rotors. If I recall correctly, the pbr calipers were originally designed to be used with a 12 inch rotor, I think C4 Vettes used them. While moving them further out increases brake forces by increasing the leverage, it also comes with the penalty of the larger rotor weight. Maybe you could look into a two piece rotor. I've seen some of the larger kits where the sweep area wasn't that big, but it was a two piece, so the center hub was huge and therefore light. Then again, if the car stops well, and it's a street car, shouldn't really matter that much.

Cpotts13

Reaction score
First off, the car looks good! I like those brakes, I just don't like the sweep area it's giving you on the outside of the rotor.

I used this calculator: http://brakepower.com/help_abc_27_PAC_t.htm

Those brakes with the 41.2mm pistons has a piston-area-per-axle of 10659mm
The Cadillac brakes have a stepped piston size to keep brake pad wear even(30/34/38mm) and comes in at 10990mm.

Also, sweep area of the brake pads is quite different.

Stock Cobra PBR calipers(8,813.28mm):
stoptech-mustang-street-performance-front-brake-pads-94-04-cobra-492-309-04120(3).jpg

Wilwood kit(7,428.68mm):
7420-pd-lg.jpg

CTS-V Brembos(17,577mm):
hb-649.jpg

I know those measurements are the greatest for area because it's measuring the area of a rectangle and not the shape of the pad itself. Just threw them in there to get an idea on size difference.
Ah good information... I would think with the piston size you are describing on those ctsv calipers would give you a very mushy brake pedal feel. With the wilwood set up the engineer at revolution said there was a 3% increase in pedal movement before initial braking. In other words they give a slightly less firm pedal feel (however it's unnoticeable at that little percent) due to the much larger pistons. But with the bigger piston surface area of the ctsv brembos I'd imagine it being significant. I suppose the big benifit of the wilwoods vs cobra is the rotor surface area and added clamping force. But like mentioned above I'm not a fan of the sweep area either. However it has nearly if not the same contact area as the cobra brakes. It's just a but accentuated due to the larger rotor and black/silver contrast. I am by no means a wilwood nut swinger, and I stand by my earlier comment, if you can make these ctsv brembos work on our car, sign me up.

OP
OP
JeremyAlan

JeremyAlan

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Apparently I am the king at slow moving projects. After a winter of the car being down and a lot of "life getting in the way," I am back at it.

The attached photo is just a general mock up and would not be the final location of the caliper.

I'm having to "sub-contract" the adapter bracket, so to speak, because it is slightly out of my purview. I will report back when I have some headway on that. Otherwise, this project is starting to get some steam again.

025cd893a5f634f2ef6f33cdfd6bdb83.jpg

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Apparently I am the king at slow moving projects. After a winter of the car being down and a lot of "life getting in the way," I am back at it.

The attached photo is just a general mock up and would not be the final location of the caliper.

I'm having to "sub-contract" the adapter bracket, so to speak, because it is slightly out of my purview. I will report back when I have some headway on that. Otherwise, this project is starting to get some steam again.

025cd893a5f634f2ef6f33cdfd6bdb83.jpg

Me and you both! Life has been getting in the way for a while. We all need encouragement.

JonathanBrantley

Reaction score
Anything happen with these brackets? I’m looking at doing the V swap soon and I was just curious before I fab up my own

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TN95gt

Members online