7.5" differential cross pin bolt removal

KeeperZoo

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am replacing the axle bearings and seals in my '98 v6. The cross pin bolt is slightly rounded so I would like to replace that as well, but I am having problems removing the old one, it is being blocked by the bearing cap, as shown in the attached pic. Does anyone know if there is a way to remove this bolt without unbolting the bearing cap? If I remember correctly the 8.8 in my Grand Marquis has more space in this area, so this is probably specific to the 7.5" differential.crosspinbolt-circled.jpg

01yellercobra

Reaction score
I did this on a Ranger and I don't remember having an issue pulling the bolt. Maybe rotate the carrier so the bolt is on the bottom?

OP
OP
K

KeeperZoo

Reaction score
I did this on a Ranger and I don't remember having an issue pulling the bolt. Maybe rotate the carrier so the bolt is on the bottom?

Thanks for the idea @01yellercobra ! It's not visible from this side, but there is enough clearance for this in the bottom front part of the housing, in the space under the pinion bearing.

OP
OP
K

KeeperZoo

Reaction score

I actually thought about doing just that, but it would not have helped with installing the replacement bolt... Anyway, all is well now after discovering that extra space on the dark side of the differential, I'm back in business.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarthur1995

Members online