8.8 Axle seal problems. Please help

JJhirsch

Reaction score
I have a 1994 mustang GT mostly stock with just some bolt ons with shocks, springs, sub frame connectors and New MM lower control arms. 1-2 years ago i had my whole rear end bearings and seals replaced because i had a very bad vibration at a high speed. including the clutch packs being rebuilt at the same time. The passenger side had a repair bearing installed because the axle was pitted and i didn't have time or the money for new axles. I drove it for 5k miles and i even did some auto x with it until this last fall the passenger side started to leak.

This spring i had new axles and aluminum drive shaft installed with only the passenger side bearing and seal replaced because the driver side was only 1-2 years old. 300-500 miles later the drive side started to leak on to the inside of the rim. So this week i took it back in to have the driver side seal replaced and after it was said and done the passanger side started to leak the next day. I thought that it had to be a pressure issue with the breather valve so i changed it out very early today (It even made a hiss noise taking it out so i was sure that was the problem) with a new one from ford.

Now after the new valve i put a good 250 miles on the car and it still leaks on the passenger side (enough that it slowly drips on to the rim after i drive it).

Does anyone have any ideas what could be wrong???

Thanks JJ

RichV

Reaction score
Funny, I just got back from a track weekend and my passenger side is leaking. This is on a 05, but my 94 through years of open tracking never leaked. I'm thinking mine is a pressure issue as well because on the ride home I did not get any leaks.

I bet your issue is the axles. Are they OEM or some aftermarket? Maybe machined just a tad too small. Or just grooved like a balancer when it starts leaking.

OP
OP
J

JJhirsch

Reaction score
They are fresh new axles from Americanmuscle.com but it has only been one side leaking at a time and not both. I am thinking maybe the ford racing seals are bad? i have a friend who has told me that he used them and they leaked but as soon as he did a different brand they haven't leaked since. The only thing about that is the ford racing one ran 1 year with no leaks.

RichV

Reaction score
When you replaced the breather valve, did you poke anything through the axle thread to make sure you don't have some sort of sludge or buildup underneath?

What about the fill? How are you filling the fluid? And what level are you filling to?

OP
OP
J

JJhirsch

Reaction score
When you replaced the breather valve, did you poke anything through the axle thread to make sure you don't have some sort of sludge or buildup underneath?

What about the fill? How are you filling the fluid? And what level are you filling to?

It was filled almost to the fill hole on a lift so the car was level. I drove the car 100 miles today and the leak seams to be gone or almost gone. I think after i changed the valve Friday night i didn't give it any time to dry up. i didn't even clean behind the axle so it probably dripped a little more Saturday so i assumed it was still leaking.

Thank you, I will drive it this week and keep watching it to see if it will leak.

gofastbobby

Reaction score
I had a passenger side weeping on my 95 when I did gears last month. If I am going to the troubles to get the c clips out, I am going to buy the best axle seals available and replace them both.

I did have a problem getting the seals though, come to think of it.

I scrounged for a couple pics on ebay. I hope this helps.

At autozone, they had a funky looking timken seal that looked nothing like it shouldve. Upon inspection, it measured .03" larger on the outside diameter than the standard seal and was mostly covered with rubber. The inside diameter of the seal was larger on the timken than the national as well. This is what I got from autozone:

$_35.JPG

I am sure they would both work, but I didn't feel comfortable with the timken seal from autozone. It simply looked nothing like the seal I was replacing.This is what I got from Oreilly and matched exactly to what I pulled out of the car:

$_37.JPG

OP
OP
J

JJhirsch

Reaction score
Well today at work i found a puddle in my passenger side rim. i am going to have the ford racing seal replaced with the seals that came with the axles which the driver side already has.

ill update you guys next week after i give it some time.

Thank for the help.

RichV

Reaction score
I've got a pair of the oreilly ones as well. Got a 8.8 I'll be building for my race car.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online