8.8 axle swap

LAZER_RED

Reaction score
Ok so I want to space my rear tires out and dont want to use spacers. From the research i have done i can swap my 94 gt axles for some out of a 00-04 gt and gain 1/2" to 3/4" to each side. My question is since I have found mixed results while searching is this right? I know the axle housing is the same but the axles were different in the new edge vs my 94. Does anyone know what the exact measurement is?

Thanks for the help.
Kris

RichV

Reaction score
Not to hijack, but this may be relevant to this topic.

If the axles in the 99-04 are longer, which I understand they are as well, what is the difference in the brakes? Is the rear rotor hat different to make up for the extra axle length? I believe the bracket and caliper are the same. But the part stores list the 94-04 rotors as the same too.

What brake hardware is different?

RichV

Reaction score
BTW, why not run spacers? Even with the extra 1/2" per side it's not enough to flush unless you have an oddball wheel.

lutter94

Reaction score
Not to hijack, but this may be relevant to this topic.

If the axles in the 99-04 are longer, which I understand they are as well, what is the difference in the brakes? Is the rear rotor hat different to make up for the extra axle length? I believe the bracket and caliper are the same. But the part stores list the 94-04 rotors as the same too.

What brake hardware is different?

Why would the brakes need to be different at all? Longer axles, and have longer axle tubes. Everything just gets shoved out 1/2" each side....

RichV

Reaction score
Why would the brakes need to be different at all? Longer axles, and have longer axle tubes. Everything just gets shoved out 1/2" each side....

Well the caliper/bracket is fixed to the axle tube, this stays same in 86-04 axles. The rotor hat is on the end of the axle, so the rotor hat moves out 1/2". This is what I don't get, something needs to be different.

OP
OP
L

LAZER_RED

Reaction score
While i agree that a 1/2" wont make the tire all the way flush, it will improve the look of the car. I know the spacers are safe but I really just dont want an inch spacer between the hub of my axle and the rim. Since I can find the axles every where here in texas it seems like a no brainer for me. While i am at it i can do my axle bearings and seals.

kris

9838stang

Reaction score
the brakes, rotors, and rear brake assembly are all the same. a buddy took all ove my rear brake assembly from my 7.5 rear end, rotors, calipers, pads, and caliper brackets and put them onto his 02 gt. His rear caliper leaked fluid on his rotor and pads and burnt up the whole left side, swapped both sides just cause it was worn out and my stuff was practically brand new and his had over 60,000 miles and lots of... brake stand miles on them too. The new axle came with brand new stuff.... so that went onto my car.the 99-04 axles require 99-04 lower control arms for sure i can remember if they require the uppers too when swapping the 99-04 rear end into a 94-98. The control arm bolts are different diameters.

9838stang

Reaction score
From 1986 to 1998 the axle housing widths are all the same, 99-04 are wider

To answer you question about housing width per Ford Engineering prints:

Overall Width (edit -- HOUSING)
94-98 -- 56.198" - 56.094"
99-04 -- 57.616" - 57.512"

Brake Flange Mounting Surface
94-98 -- 54.10"
99-04 -- 55.51"

1.41" difference, 0.705" added each end to move the bearings out to support the longer axles.

This is housing width as you orginally asked for, not axle flange to axle flange. Not sure where this 3" stuff is coming from but it's not in the housing as a few have stated. I think a few switched gears and started talking about flange to flange.

I can also tell you that the 93 and prior 8.8 Mustang/T-Bird housing match the 94-98 dimensions. I have a T-Bird housing on my bench now for a project which is why I have most of this data at my fingertips.

I'm actually trying to find a housing longer than the 99+ housing but with the NVH damper mounting pads cast into the center section like the Mustang which is how the MM torque are mounts. I need the extra housing length to aid in building a full floater. Going to start pulling Lincoln and Crown Vic prints next. The S197 housing is perfect but doesn't have the flanges needed to mount a TA. Would work great for custom 3-link!

http://forums.corral.net/forums/road-racing-auto-x/1105726-rear-end-widths.html

lutter94

Reaction score
Overall Width (edit -- HOUSING)
94-98 -- 56.198" - 56.094"
99-04 -- 57.616" - 57.512"

So the housings are wider..... I was correct?

the-simpsons-mr-burns-excel.jpg

RichV

Reaction score
Thanks! That's good to know.

I wonder how many people have slapped the 99-04 axles in and have incorrect brake operation. I have a 99-04 rear end sitting in the garage and I'll take a quick measurement when I get home and see if it matches the above.

lutter94

Reaction score
Thanks! That's good to know.

I wonder how many people have slapped the 99-04 axles in and have incorrect brake operation. I have a 99-04 rear end sitting in the garage and I'll take a quick measurement when I get home and see if it matches the above.

Would they even fit? Seems like a big delta no caliper would be able to handle.

9838stang

Reaction score
[MENTION=17007]RichV[/MENTION] like i said above, the rear brakes are the same from 94-98 to 99-04, i took my rear brakes off my car and put them onto my buddies car.

but im pretty sure the new edge axles will not fit into the sn95 axles.

lutter94

Reaction score
Right 9838. To clarify. Brakes will swap over for all of them. If you were to install the longer axles in a 94-98 axle housing, they would stick out too far, and your brakes wouldn't bolt on. It wouldn't line up. If you put 94-98 axles in a 99-04 housing, you wouldn't get proper engagement in the differential.

All they did in 1999 was take 3/4" of tube and lengthen each side of the axle housing. Everything moves out and stays together. As for control arms, thats a whole nother conversation.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online

No members online now.