8.8 rear end help please

itsblue95

Reaction score
So i thought my axels were bent do to people telling me that wheels were wobbling as I am driving. So last night I changed out my axels and they are still wobbling. Does anyone have an idea what it could be? It's a 2004 mustang gt.

OP
OP
itsblue95

itsblue95

Reaction score
Yeah tires are balanced. I put two set of wheels on and still did it. The wobble looks the they'd wheels are bent hut I stuck my brand new set if weld wheels on it to make sure and they still did it.

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
Did you swap the entire axle or the axle shafts? I assumed it was the first. Check the bearings for sure.... put the car on jack stands and spin the tires. Is it rpm dependent or speed dependant

OP
OP
itsblue95

itsblue95

Reaction score
It's not rpm dependent. It wasn't leaking any oil so it's not the bearings. I'm thinking it's something from the inside of the housing or the tubes may be tweaked

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
If its leaking fluid at least you know it has fluid Lol.if its not leaking..... when you swapped the axles did you look at the spider gears and dif

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Almost sounds like you got bent axle tubes

Slipperman

Reaction score
So you "replaced the axles".
With what? New axle shafts? Do you still have the old ones?
You're going to have to take the wheels off and indicate the axle flange without a brake rotor attached. Rent or borrow a dial indicator with a magnetic base to get this done.
You can also use the indicator to check axles for face run-out on a bench with some V blocks.
I suspect the chances of having two sets of axles, if we understand you right, bent to that degree are slim.
Check how the brake rotor sets on the hub flange, then how the wheel interfaces with the rotor.
You may well find an issue there.
Or it could be as simple as torquing down one lug fully with all the others loose causing the wheel to set crooked.

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Check where your upper control arms are bolted to the body (where the rear ends welded to the body)., the welds might be shot. my buddy has a 02 GT, his wheels looked like they were wobbling too when he was driving. turns out right where the upper control arm is, the weld from the axle to the body was completely shot.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online