8.8 Trak-Lok Clutch Rebuild Question

i86hotdogs

Reaction score
Rebuilt the clutches in my 98's rear end this week. Opted for the carbon discs that come standard in the later Cobras and other models

1660911693720.png

Job wasn't as difficult as expected. Pinion bolt came out effortlessly (used the new one in the kit), pin came out with no issue, c clips on the axles came out with no problem (removing the calipers was a pain, but that's for a different thread).

Soaked the new clutches in friction modifier for about 30 minutes. That stuff smells so bad. The garage and connecting mud room still reeks of it.

bagged clutches.jpg

I laid the old clutches out so make sure the new ones matched the pattern. Noticed an extra .030 shim on the new pack.

new n old clutches.jpg

I tried reassembling the rear end with a shim on each side (left gear and right gear), and the spider gears would not fit. Take 'em out, and the gears go back in effortlessly. I'm guessing the shims work for the later years Mustangs and Cobras, similar to the S spring the kit came with the kit (have to reuse the old spring). Took a careful test drive and my butt doesn't feel anything harmful, nor do I hear anything.

I guess I am just looking for confirmation from others here that I did the job right leaving those shims out. Let me know, thanks all! Front shot for your time.

frumt.jpg

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
You should be fine man. The shims are for different applications. For some reason, I want to say the 31 spline diffs use them but the 28 splines don’t. If it lays rubber both sides and doesn’t make noises, I’d say you’re golden.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ccrider

Members online