97 Cobra build/rebuild

88stang88

Professional Lurker
Reaction score
Well it didn't take long before the ordering started. Bought the car late friday night 5/31/19.
Just submitted the first order of tad bits.

• Mustang Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter - T5/T45 (83-01)
  • Mustang Screamin Demon Coil Packs (96-98) 4.6/5.4
  • Mustang Shifter Dampening Bushing - T5, T45, & T56 (83-04)
  • Mustang Ford Performance Plug Wire Set - Blue (96-98) 4.6L 4V
  • Mustang Bassani Off Road X-Pipe Stainless (96-98)
  • Mustang Spare Tire Cover (79-98)
  • Mustang Fender Gripper Trunk Mat w/ White Cobra Logo (94-04) Coupe
Car has a bog/hesitation below 3000 rpms. Everywhere I read it appeared to be connected to coil packs and wires.

The trunk is missing the spare tire cover and carpet. I was always more of a dog person so the cat's have to go. And the shifter that is currently installed is what appears to be a stock shifter with a different handle.

Next order will mostly be replacement suspension parts.

I also fixed the vacuum line that runs into the firewall for the blower selector. Now I have air that comes out the vents again.

DKblue98GT

Reaction score
Sounds like a good start. A lot of us have had issues with the Ford Performance plug wires.

I have a brand new set in the garage because my car started missing as soon as I installed them.

I think the boots are a little bit too long to make good contact with the plugs.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

DKblue98GT

Reaction score
Off road X pipe sounds great on these cars.

OP
OP
88stang88

88stang88

Professional Lurker
Reaction score
Sounds like a good start. A lot of us have had issues with the Ford Performance plug wires.

I have a brand new set in the garage because my car started missing as soon as I installed them.

I think the boots are a little bit too long to make good contact with the plugs.

Interesting. Hopefully I don’t have any issues there. Recommended wires if these do have issues?

Off road X pipe sounds great on these cars.

I agree. Spent the extra money to have a matching Bassani X pipe to go with the cat back already installed.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Bassani however is to quiet for my taste. Straight open madness is my flavor! And since i strapped that x-pipe on the end.....OMG!!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Tillerman77

Reaction score

+1 on the FRPP plug wires potentially being problematic. OEM Ford solved my problems.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
^ i believe this to be a problem with all plug wires for modulars.

Best thing to do?....shove an old plug into the boot before installing. This way youll know what the fit is.

OP
OP
88stang88

88stang88

Professional Lurker
Reaction score
Part’s came in today. Got off work late so I tackled the plug wires and coils first. New plug wires are noticeably thicker than the motorcraft wires. Everything went smooth with removing the old coils and plug wires. Took no time at all to replace with the new hardware. Took much longer to try and get the wires to route around each other and look somewhat decent. Car fired right up with no misses or hesitation. Decided I had enough time to remove the old shifter and replace with the new Steeda tri-ax. Took all the bezels and lower boot cover off to discover it was a non-name brand shifter. Not a stock shifter. And whatever they used to seal around the bolts was overkill as I broke two craftsman screw drivers trying to pry it up. Decided it was hammer time and it came out on the second blow. All that work to discover that I no longer have any permatex. Shoved a couple paper towels in the hole and will resume tomorrow morning. Hopefully I can find enough time tomorrow to tackle the Bassani O/R X pipe.

OP
OP
88stang88

88stang88

Professional Lurker
Reaction score
New shifter went in and everything bolted together no problem. Decided to throw the car up on jack stands. The factory mid pipe bolts came off nice and easy at the cat-back and transmission hangar. The collector bolts were a different story. Got two removed (one each side). The passenger side bottom bolt is a pain. The nut itself shredded itself and turned into a round nut. I threw in the towel after a couple of days hitting it with heat and penetrating oil. Now she sits on a lift at the exhaust shop.

Attachments

• 6A201A42-9E5B-4BF2-A22B-DD9D656701AA.jpeg
    6A201A42-9E5B-4BF2-A22B-DD9D656701AA.jpeg
    298.3 KB · Views: 19
OP
OP
88stang88

88stang88

Professional Lurker
Reaction score
Yeah it is a pain. I ended up letting the local exhaust shop take care of it. Less than two hours after dropping it off they had the catted x pipe out and the o/r x pipe in. Sounds great. Not obnoxious until you get into the upper rpm range.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
Bassani? Yep...you spent the money alright! I can't disagree about their sound tho. Bassani sounds great!

Never have tried Bassani
always been hooked on F.M. I do have the 10 series with bbk x on my mach1 and no cats sounds really deep
maybe on my 97 cobra ill try the Bassani when the engine gets put back in

OP
OP
88stang88

88stang88

Professional Lurker
Reaction score
It’s not as loud as I’m use to for having no cats on a mustang. It’s plenty loud when WOT. Just a bit tame when idle and light driving in town. The tail pipes look like they have a built in resonator in the tips themselves. Idk if that’s a Bassani deal yet or not but I may look into other options down the road to spice it up a bit.