9 inch rear end

TT94SVT

Reaction score
Has anyone here put a 9 inch rear in end in the sn95? Are the Moser engineering bolt in axle kits worth it or am i better off starting with a bare housing shortening and building my own?

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Has anyone here put a 9 inch rear in end in the sn95? Are the Moser engineering bolt in axle kits worth it or am i better off starting with a bare housing shortening and building my own?

Honestly, I don’t know how much response you’ll get for this. The 8.8 is sufficient for loads of power with the right selection of parts. Some people will put 9” ends on the 8.8 housing but that’s about it.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
8.8 is definitely sufficient
If you were installing a 460 427c 429c big block and had a c6 tranny then ya I would do the 9 inch

PinkieT

Reaction score
Years ago I bought a stock 8.8 Cobra SRA from a guy who had a 500 hp turbo setup in his car. He had no problems with it, but he was upping his game to 1,000 hp and was going with a 9 inch.

Randall Garner

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
8.8 with 35 spline strange kit. Is beefy enough for near 1000 hp. I would recommend beefing up suspension components and frame mounts to handle the added HP and torque. I’ve seen cars push the drives lower control arm into the Interior. Had it happen on a high toque 393w in 95. Hadn’t subframes it or put in LCA brackets to beef things up.

95opal

Reaction score
I debated a 9" on my build but stayed with the 8.8 and through 9" ends on it welded tubes ect. Unless your going for 1000+ and launching on slicks all day theres no need the 8.8 is plenty strong enough

OP
OP
T

TT94SVT

Reaction score
I debated a 9" on my build but stayed with the 8.8 and through 9" ends on it welded tubes ect. Unless your going for 1000+ and launching on slicks all day theres no need the 8.8 is plenty strong enough
Going for 1000 wheel dead on with a turbo 400 and big stall converter. Car is driven on the street a lot too. I need the quicker rear gear changes and in my opinion its easier to set backlash on a 9 inch. Eventually I would like more power as well with room to grow. I am aware of the advantages and disadvantages of the 9 inch vs the 8.8. Just wondering if the bolt in kits are worth it or if im better starting from scratch.

01yellercobra

Reaction score
Haven't seen it done on an SN95. But I know a few guys with S197's that went the bolt in route and are happy with it.

95opal

Reaction score
Going for 1000 wheel dead on with a turbo 400 and big stall converter. Car is driven on the street a lot too. I need the quicker rear gear changes and in my opinion its easier to set backlash on a 9 inch. Eventually I would like more power as well with room to grow. I am aware of the advantages and disadvantages of the 9 inch vs the 8.8. Just wondering if the bolt in kits are worth it or if im better starting from scratch.

I think you already know the answer to your question. I would be looking at Mark Williams, Currier, strange and trz.

OP
OP
T

TT94SVT

Reaction score
Honestly, I don’t know how much response you’ll get for this. The 8.8 is sufficient for loads of power with the right selection of parts. Some people will put 9” ends on the 8.8 housing but that’s about it.
The 8.8 is great axle and can built to handle power for sure.
Haven't seen it done on an SN95. But I know a few guys with S197's that went the bolt in route and are happy with it.

I might just give the bolt in a shot! Would be really easy that way.

CobraRGuy

Reaction score
I plan to have Griggs Racing perform their hybrid 8.8" with 9" bearing retained axle modifications done to mine. As my car sees serious road course action, eliminating the C-clips is a must. They can also achieve around 1 degree negative camber on the rear end as well but this requires special axles.

OP
OP
T

TT94SVT

Reaction score
I think you already know the answer to your question. I would be looking at Mark Williams, Currier, strange and trz.
Thank you! I have used strange parts in my 8.8 with no issues.
I plan to have Griggs Racing perform their hybrid 8.8" with 9" bearing retained axle modifications done to mine. As my car sees serious road course action, eliminating the C-clips is a must. They can also achieve around 1 degree negative camber on the rear end as well but this requires special axles.

That’s pretty awesome. You can’t go wrong with Griggs they do really great work!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online