90mm Lightning MAF on its way.

Wild Horses

Reaction score
Found one on eBay with the aluminum filter adapter for 70 bucks. Not expecting any gains from it, I'm just trying to accumulate parts for my forced induction build whenever I find them cheap.

Ive never really payed attention to the size of the mating surface or bolt pattern that are on the 90mm's. I'm just kindof curious as to if it will bolt up to my cold air intake flange that runs into the fender. I could always use the adapter plate but I'd rather not be sucking in engine compartment air. They should bolt up right?

Anyone notice any nice changes once they added their 90mm? I'm running the 78mm BBK throttle intake also. I'm going to have to add the 90mm to my tune using the strategy at first I guess. Bama says I need to pay the 150 for tunes again even though I traded my car and kept the tuner... Whatever. Just wondering about this thing. I've never done this mod on any of my 2V cars.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
the 90 mm fit perfectly on my Anderson power pipes but those are 4" wide pipes. If your using a standard CAI that you could have hooked your stock maf up to it will look pretty funny with the adaptor expanding it at the intake of the MAF and then shrinking it at the exit. Not sure about the modulars but on a pushrod you will need an adaptor harness.

I would not let bama rob you again man that is bullshit. I would not mess with it till you go forced induction as you will need the adaptors to get it to work, a tune and you would not see any gains from it.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Not really going to do anything for you now but doesn't hurt to stockpile parts now, I believe the stock maf is 80mm and might have gone up to 85 on the 99-04.

If you haven't bought a CAI yet let the company know what you have. I have a Demolet (tunable induction) and they offered a version with the larger flange to directly mate to a 90mm maf.

OP
OP
Wild Horses

Wild Horses

Reaction score
Right now I've got the generic SR cold air intake and I've always thought they already looked kinda funny.
You can see the big pipe up front and a smaller one after the MAF. So the Lightning maf won't bolt up to these? Good thing I bought it with the flange.
image_zpsmg3inca2.jpg

I've been running strategy tunes on this 02 just because I don't feel like I should pay BAMA another $150. Maybe if they sent me an SF4 Id consider it. They released it a week after I bought my SF3 for the same price and not once mentioned it was coming out and maybe I should hold off for a few days. The 93 octane strategy def perks the car up a bunch and I can turn my EGR and o2s off which I need. Can also program diff injector sizes and add the Lightning MAF. I'm gonna throw it on either way. It can't hurt and I think my MAF acts up sometimes. I really thougt those flanges would be the same size. Kinda sucks.

OP
OP
Wild Horses

Wild Horses

Reaction score
Dug a little deeper. Coulda sworn my 98 GT was a 75mm but it looks like 96-Up GTs are all 80mm and have the same size flange as the LMAF. I should be good.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
you could stick it on there but it will look even goofier if you can find a silicon reducer to fit that smaller pipe. As for the front piece not sure if that will fit either as that one looks like it fits nicely but the lightning is wider.

I would take exactly the opposite reaction to the idea you said it can't hurt. The way I see it, it would be amazing if it did run and I would be even more amazed if it did help since its feeding into the exact same small pipe the other did. Pretty sure the lightning is set up to drive 42 lb injectors and of course that is set u in the tune but your now going to put a maf that is designed to push injectors that are 2x the size of yours. Pretty sure that would cause some problems but I would wait for one of the real motor guys to confirm or deny that.

I paid bama for a tune and when I got it the car ran so rich your eyes would water at stop lights as I took it on a drive to a dyno to fix their f-up. I would not pay them for another tune

But I would wait for that maf and finish getting all your parts or your just going to waste your time installing and then removing it.

OP
OP
Wild Horses

Wild Horses

Reaction score
you could stick it on there but it will look even goofier if you can find a silicon reducer to fit that smaller pipe. As for the front piece not sure if that will fit either as that one looks like it fits nicely but the lightning is wider.

I would take exactly the opposite reaction to the idea you said it can't hurt. The way I see it, it would be amazing if it did run and I would be even more amazed if it did help since its feeding into the exact same small pipe the other did. Pretty sure the lightning is set up to drive 42 lb injectors and of course that is set u in the tune but your now going to put a maf that is designed to push injectors that are 2x the size of yours. Pretty sure that would cause some problems but I would wait for one of the real motor guys to confirm or deny that.

I paid bama for a tune and when I got it the car ran so rich your eyes would water at stop lights as I took it on a drive to a dyno to fix their f-up. I would not pay them for another tune

But I would wait for that maf and finish getting all your parts or your just going to waste your time installing and then removing it.

Alot of people think the MAFs are calibrated to the size of injectors. As I remember they're only calibrated to the number of injectors on the motor and the amount of air 90mms can flow around the electrode. This is only how I remember it. I could be wrong. If the computer still thinks it's the old MAF I could see it running rich. At any rate...with the SCT strategy tunes there's a MAF section where I can select a 90mm LMAF which should calibrate the PCM to accept it and I'll be ready to roll. Don't get me wrong, if it don't feel right, smell right, or sound right... it ain't staying on until it's dyno tuned with charger. I'm pretty sure it'd be ok though. Can someone confirm? This is just what I remember from reading up on them awhile ago.

OP
OP
Wild Horses

Wild Horses

Reaction score
I'm going to be making a bigger tube for the back side of the MAF also before I do any install.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Alot of people think the MAFs are calibrated to the size of injectors. As I remember they're only calibrated to the number of injectors on the motor and the amount of air 90mms can flow around the electrode. This is only how I remember it. I could be wrong. If the computer still thinks it's the old MAF I could see it running rich. At any rate...with the SCT strategy tunes there's a MAF section where I can select a 90mm LMAF which should calibrate the PCM to accept it and I'll be ready to roll. Don't get me wrong, if it don't feel right, smell right, or sound right... it ain't staying on until it's dyno tuned with charger. I'm pretty sure it'd be ok though. Can someone confirm? This is just what I remember from reading up on them awhile ago.

This is an old 5.0 pushrod thing. They can buy MAF's that are calibrated to a specific size injector. I believe there is a sample tube that is swapped on some of them.

With the OBD2 cars (96up modulars) this isn't how it works anymore. Its all in the tune now.

OP
OP
Wild Horses

Wild Horses

Reaction score
This is an old 5.0 pushrod thing. They can buy MAF's that are calibrated to a specific size injector. I believe there is a sample tube that is swapped on some of them.

With the OBD2 cars (96up modulars) this isn't how it works anymore. Its all in the tune now.

OK I gotcha now... That was where the mixed info was coming from... Thanks

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
You should get a tune the maf it is letting in more air then the computer thinks. The MAF transfer should be adjusted.

150 is understandable they don't tune for a device they tune for a vehicle. Thats how they get charged and thats how they charge. With that being said there are some great email tuners who i would trust over Bama.

I have been doing alot of reading about tuning lately.... I want to tune my own car ..... its actually really cool stuff

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online