'90's Ford Paint Supplier?

S351SC

Reaction score
Looking to see if anyone by chance know who Ford got their paint through for '90s cars, specifically '94 Mustang. Looking to have an oem heat extractor hood painted for my S351 and would like to use same paint maker if possible. I know paint can be matched to look just like the factory paint which is UA paint code but as mentioned I'd like to use oem paint supplier if possible. Thanks in advance.

chris91

Reaction score
Are you doing the painting? Most painters have their preferred paint that they use. The maker of the paint isn't going to determine if it matches. You have to account for the mixture being dead on and then you have to account for the paint that's already on the car that has faded some.

OP
OP
S

S351SC

Reaction score
Are you doing the painting? Most painters have their preferred paint that they use. The maker of the paint isn't going to determine if it matches. You have to account for the mixture being dead on and then you have to account for the paint that's already on the car that has faded some.

No this would be done at a shop to be determined. I don't know much about paint my self, but the car only has 10k miles and paint is in great shape. So with that said I'm not sure if it would still need to be matched or not. My main thing even if that were the case is I'd like to be able to use same brand paint as Ford would have used in '94. Could it have PPG, DuPont, etc? BTW anyone have any recommendations for a good paint shop in Southern California?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
NEVER has anyone ever said "Looks as perfect as it can get but its definitely a DuPont brand paint instead of duplicolor you can tell just by the look."

OP
OP
S

S351SC

Reaction score
NEVER has anyone ever said "Looks as perfect as it can get but its definitely a DuPont brand paint instead of duplicolor you can tell just by the look."
Hah I haven't personally either I've just read about it before on older Mustangs when restoring them. The decision usually comes down to cost, some car owners decide to go a different route at that point while others still go through with OEM process/paint. For me cost will be a factor too, but if only difference is price of paint and that's no more than $200 to me its worth it considering its being used on an OEM Saleen hood and car it will be installed on. To me that is very reasonable.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
your saying the difference is no more then $200 or you saying the PAINT in total is <$200? Just asking because I got a middle grade ppg paint to do my car and it was only +$300/gal. not sure how much of your car your painting but..

OP
OP
S

S351SC

Reaction score
your saying the difference is no more then $200 or you saying the PAINT in total is <$200? Just asking because I got a middle grade ppg paint to do my car and it was only +$300/gal. not sure how much of your car your painting but..

I'm saying if the price difference is $200 in paint, not of painting the hood it self. In other words if for example its $150 in paint for "X brand" then $350 for oem brand paint for me wouldnt be too unreasonable, anything beyond that and its diminishing returns, again for me personally. Its just for the hood it self, not entire car.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online