928, 240z or SN? try not to be biased, lol.

NERD

Reaction score
Completely random question but of the three older cars, what's the better autox & corner track car and what do you like more?

Between looks, power and handling I never know what cars I like more.

The Porsche kind of has a bubble butt, but it's 50/50 and has a V8.

The 240z is probably my favorite 2 seater ever made.

The mustang is big & bulky compared to the other two but she's got style.

porsche_928-gt2_r1.jpg

1970_BRE_Datsun_240Z_SCCA_C_Production_National_Championship_S30_race_racing___f_800x600_zpsd4f05c6d.jpg

11999956204_d06d07d905_b_zps2ae1e8f0.jpg

RichV

Reaction score
Any of the with enough $ in them! :)

Porsche, obvious choice.
Pros:
weight distribution
factory suspension design
great chassis

Cons:
EXPENSIVE (yes I'm yelling)
So-so aftermarket (front engine rear drive)
engine design, oiling issues and very pricey for parts

240z
Pros:
small and light
good factory suspension
good chassis

Cons:
power options
aftermarket
most of those models have cancer that could have structurally damaged it

SN
Pros:
very strong aftermarket
power goals easily achieved
cheap everything comparitively

Cons:
not good out of the box, suspension or power
needs quite a bit, specially for competition
chassis is about as stiff as wet spaghetti

Depending on what you really want to do, think ahead. What is your goal ... if it's just the occasional track day. Use your current SN, why not? If it's to have a dedicated track car that you'll tow to the track, beat the snot out of it maybe in a TT class or auto-x, any of the options above will be fine. Just how much work and $ you have to go play. Now if your goal is to wheel to wheel race one day, you should check out a NASA or SCCA event and see which classes are popular. Because if you are the only running in your class, wheel to wheel racing is about as fun as eating vegetables.

Other EXTREMELY popular and inexpensive cars on the road course are 3 series BMWs, any vintage. They do have a great aftermarket and can fit into many race classes depending on their prep level.

Hope this helps!!

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
That Datsun though. The one big problem is like Rich said, they're known widely for their pretty serious rust issues.

Sent from bored/stroked HTC One

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
If you listen closely, you can hear 240s rusting ;p

Very well put there [MENTION=17007]RichV[/MENTION]

Burninrock24

Reaction score
The datsun is my vote as well. Trying to pick one up myself. Good luck with the rust! No matter where you lived, the datsuns were not free from rust.

Monsterbishi

Reaction score
We went with the SN95 for our track car because it's got a huge degree of well priced aftermarket support, and once you put a decent cage in it and rip out the truckload of extra weight you end up with a package that looks great from the outside, has bags of room on the inside and can be upgraded/modified with almost lego-like ease.

RichV

Reaction score
The big thing about the Datsun's engine is that straight 6 does not have a cross flow cylinder head. It's great for scavenging and awesome torque, but top end power is not a strong suit. I know you can swap it, but then what about race classing?

Goldmember

Reaction score
Always liked the 928's. That car pissed off tons of Porsche purists for being front-engine water-cooled. In 1977 that was the end of the world.

Were it me, cost-no-object, I'd do 928 to be different.

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
What are your plans?

Are you wanting something to build to go tear up the track or something to run in the stock classes? I think the Porsche would probably be the best/ most fun to drive stockish, but I'd go Mustang if you're wanting to build something. 240Z is a cool car, always loved the way they look, but just never been impressed by them at the few autocross events I was in.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Last Autocross I went to there was an LS swapped 240 out there destroying the competition

OP
OP
NERD

NERD

Reaction score
What are your plans?

Are you wanting something to build to go tear up the track or something to run in the stock classes? I think the Porsche would probably be the best/ most fun to drive stockish, but I'd go Mustang if you're wanting to build something. 240Z is a cool car, always loved the way they look, but just never been impressed by them at the few autocross events I was in.

Me? I'm just creating conversation. I'm buying a Mustang unless something sexy in a Blue M4 coupe is dropped into my lap, lol.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online

No members online now.