94 5.0 Build Questions

svt_tactical

Reaction score
New member here wanting advise or an outside opinion/information. I recently acquired a 94' Cobra in a trade for a couple firearms. Car had been sitting in a garage for 2 years after years of being a daily driver. I got it from the son in law of the previous owner as he was settling the estate so don't have any real information on the car. Its strong but leaking around front and rear main seals, I imagine from sitting so long, and we've got the typical rust on the shock towers that the SN's are famous for. I'm pulling the motor out to do the repairs in the engine bay and installing a new tubular k member and while the motors out want to determine what way to go with the motor before putting it back in there.

The car will be a "toy" no plans to drag race other than stoplight to stoplight or on the occasional back country road for just giggles. My number one priority will be to maintain reliability. Keeping factory PS and AC. I'm trying to determine if I should just do a basic rebuild, go full forged internals, add forced induction, or stroker 331/347. I want to be around 400 (giver or take) at the tires when all said and complete but still have good "drivability" if its possible. Don't want to hesitate jumping in the car and driving to FL from NC for a weekend trip. I've got the pockets for it but I don't' want to spend more than necessary to make a reliable fun weekend/daily driver, in other words don't need to build it to "have the ability to turn it up to ***".

I just need advise and experience from others who have mild rebuilds what direction to go. Looking for any and all comments.

Thanks in advance for the assistance/guidance.

Mustanger

Reaction score
Harder to find a tunrer for the 94-95's with the OBD 1 computer...Easier to just add a Vortech & supporting mods for the HP you want...still needs a tune but should be easier...(I've never done either yet...just from observations)

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
I pulled my motor and did a trickflow top end kit, full supporting bolt ons, and fuel system. Car pulls hard in every gear, and I'd say its around 300-330ish whp.. my suggestion, do a HCI swap (heads, cam, intake), new pushrods, lifters, roller rockers, timing chain, water pump etc.. and spray it (nitrous). 75 shot on top of the HCI should put you upwards of 400 whp.

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
You will need a dyno tune, our cars computers (94 / 95) do NOT play well with serious engine mods. I'd say if you did the HCI and nitrous, you'd be under 5k and have a really fun car. Once you start getting into boost the numbers will skyrocket.

ranger56528

Reaction score
You will need a dyno tune, our cars computers (94 / 95) do NOT play well with serious engine mods. I'd say if you did the HCI and nitrous, you'd be under 5k and have a really fun car. Once you start getting into boost the numbers will skyrocket.

This is what I would do if I did it again....I did the HCI and a On3 turbo with Moates Quaterhorse on my sn95 but if I do another 94-95 sn it's just going to be HCI and Nitrous with a few differant spray tips. 50,75,100,125 and 150 just to change it up and a bit cheaper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rvseverson

Members online