94-95 Tails vs 96-98 Tails: Whats the true Mustang Tail light

ReplicaR

Reaction score
I had a discussion with my friends a while ago, and I must say as much as I like my tail lights, and as much as I like how the horizontal arrangement makes the car look wider, I can't help to think that the modular tail lamps are the true mustang tail lamps. As long as I remember, pretty much every mustang ever had the vertical arrangement of the tails, and there were 3 of them. What do you guys think?

94twinscrew

Reaction score
I don't know man,I like standing out and being different....everyone does the conversion. I tried a set once,they were on the car for one day....just didn't look right to me. Horizontals for life 8)

GDawg

Reaction score
It was vertical to begin with... it should always be vertical... Horizontal just doesn't look right.

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
GDawg said:
It was vertical to begin with... it should always be vertical... Horizontal just doesn't look right.

yeah, horizontals do look good tinted though. but horizontal FTW

LI98GT

Reaction score
because of the mustang tradition, verticals win out for me. Infact I really didn't like the horizontals at all for all these years, but after 13 years, I've actually gotten used to them to the point where I think they look good now, just not as good as the verts.

Mustanger

Reaction score
There were a few Fox body ones that had horizontals too weren't there? I like my stock 94 tail lights better than the 96+ ones, they just flow better and the vertical ones are not symetrical like all the traditional verticals. My 69 Mach was great looking, and the 64.5 vert tails started it all.

S

scarface

I think it is just a matter of opinion. Both owners will tell you theirs is better.

95Grandtouring5.0

Reaction score
I think that horizontals just make the ass look wider which is why im horizontal for life

The Green GT

Reaction score
Oh yea you know you want it.
Picture1292.jpg

Adam

Reaction score
Horizontals basically said " You can whoop me" to me :dancing6: :banana:
I have never and I mean NEVER been beaten by a 5.0 SN-95 on the street or at the track. The poor old 94-95 made the anemic 96 seem like rocketships. My step dad bought a brand new 94 rio red in late 93, 5-speed, awesome looking car, slow as molasses in January. Yes it is personal preference. I did like the horizontals on the Fox bodys though.

Adam

94twinscrew

Reaction score
Adam said:
I have never and I mean NEVER been beaten by a 5.0 SN-95 on the street or at the track. The poor old 94-95 made the anemic 96 seem like rocketships. My step dad bought a brand new 94 rio red in late 93, 5-speed, awesome looking car, slow as molasses in January. Yes it is personal preference. I did like the horizontals on the Fox bodys though.

Adam

slow huh? :nonono: you've obviously never raced a built one.....I'll keep my "whoop me" lights,along with my peekish 550 pounds of torque.....and leave it in sleeper mode for guys that think like you :hammer:

Mustanger

Reaction score
94twinscrew said:
Adam said:

Adam

slow huh? :nonono: you've obviously never raced a built one.....I'll keep my "whoop me" lights,along with my peekish 550 pounds of torque.....and leave it in sleeper mode for guys that think like you :hammer:

LOL... I am with you on this one! I know my 94 is one of the slowest stock Mustangs, but someday it won't be! It will be fun to see the looks when I pull on them!... Anyway the horizontals really look better IMO!

Anrev

Reaction score
Vertical ARE the tradition. However, I have never seen a 96-98 tail light I liked. It looks more like an oval lens with 2 little lines for accents. The horizontals have character. And style. The verticals look like an afterthought. :puke:

Adam

Reaction score
For every fast 94-95, there is a much faster 96-98. For every fast 96-98, there is a much faster 99-04. Its a viscious cycle. I am sure there are plenty of 94-95's that would kill my old car, I just never ran into them. Having a notoriously "slow" car was fun, especially when you showed them the tail lights. Hell I had an auto 98, everyone thought they could whoop me... O0

Adam

gt96stang

Reaction score
Foster98GT said:
Verticals and sequentials FTW O0

sequential lights are the best... gotta give another up to the verticals.. plus I like the look of the verticals because most I see are faded..

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
one of the things i didnt like about the horizontals was that the bottom "light" is a dummy and at night i thought the 2 looked stupid. I think Mustangs are supposed to have the 3 verticals plus i like the look of the newer look, and i love my sequentials.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online