94/95s and Aftermarket Cams...

Tony Montana

Reaction score
I'm just curious about this. Ive heard adding a aftermarket cam into our cars can be a real PITA as far as tuning goes. Ive heard it causes stalling issues and what not.

Who with aftermarket cams has these issues? And will a good tune, resolve these issues?

im thinkin HCI in the future so opinions would help

:khobra:

Matt94GT

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
If your going with a stong HCI setup why not go with a cam. Although its rare for my car to run/idle perfectly as well as my bros stock interal 5.0 94 was. ITs allwasy doing somthing funky, stalling, hanging idle etc well I cant say allways its good for a while but you deff gotta deal with idleing issues once and a while.

To get around it you can tune the car, custom chip, tweecer, anderson pms etc.

There are lots of guys running in the 10s with stock cams out there.

d_punch

Reaction score
i've had an idle issue that has been fixed with no tune or having to buy a tuner. granted i get a jumping idle sometimes, but i think it due to the car sitting for months at a time. so i have to mess with an idle screw no big deal, but i notice when i use the car more often the idle becomes a non-issue.

i also believe that the degree of issues also depends on how agressive the cam, and other items are. of course the more agressive the cam and related items the less streetable it will become and the more it will need some support from a tuner IMO. like tweecer, PMS, AEM, ACCEL DFI, FAST etc....

but i believe my cam is also emission legal, it's nothing special with a power band from 1400 to 5400 rpm. and i could drive this car everyday if i wanted too, just choose not too. it's like a freight train.

69Camaro

Reaction score
I put a B cam in my 95 GT sounded great idling but it would die about 85% of the time when you stopped, was fine once you restarted it. I would suggest you plan on getting a tune at the same time as the cam and you should have no problems, my cobra will be getting both soon.

Spyder

Reaction score
i have a 95 cobra with edelbrock heads, and a trick flow stage one cam

i used to have hanging idle problems and stalling all the time, but i cleaned the maf, iac, and adjusted the throttle stop screw a little bit and its damn near perfect now. It idles at a bout 900rpms, which is a little high, but it still sounds good, and it doesnt hang much at all anymore

SaleenStang94

Reaction score
i have the trick flow stage one cam. it sounds and performs great. i had bought a crate with the cam, the first start was awful and could barely run under 1k rpm but after a dyno tune it runs great. it idles at 500rpm like stock. every once in a while it will stall when going in reverse but barely ever.

Spyder

Reaction score
damn, sounds like i need a dyno tune so i can have a low idle like that

i bet the lope soudns awesome

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
cams, who needs them ;D just pull some lines loose and you can get that bump bump that a cam gives :rollinglaugh: :rollinglaugh:

SaleenStang94

Reaction score
Spyder said:
damn, sounds like i need a dyno tune so i can have a low idle like that

i bet the lope soudns awesome
haha yeah it sounds awsome. the dyno tune i went to spent a good deal of time on my car tuning and working with the iac. jw. when u reverse do u stall sometimes? (btw my car is auto)

Spyder

Reaction score
Yeah, sometimes it does, im not sure what causes that

mine is a 5speed

i know when i have my ac on its a bitch to keep it idling too

SaleenStang94

Reaction score
Spyder said:
Yeah, sometimes it does, im not sure what causes that

mine is a 5speed

i know when i have my ac on its a bitch to keep it idling too
yeah same here, it never stalls with the ac on while in gear but the rpms surge dropping to 250 and bumping up to 1k. i gotta keep the foot hard on the brake or take it out of gear. i added a complete exhaust system a month after i got the tune so i think i need a fresh tune.

ryclef331

Reaction score
Jperran said:
Sounds to me like you got caught up in the A9L bullshit. A while ago someone decided that our computers our worthless and that the only thing we can do is swap over to the fox computer, which is a bunch of BS. The problem is people who don't know what they are doing, not the hardware or the software. The other problem is people not realizing that a 300hp+ h/c/i setup is not going to be as smooth and reliable as a stock setup.

WERD!

IF you hardware (sensors and electronic components) are in tact, then there is NO reason that you can't get a car to idle...without a tune. I had my 331 H/C/I strocker motor...thumping away at 750rpm before ever seeing the dyno. Like he said...don't buy into that A9L bs. You don't need it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online