94-98 V6 Eaton M90 swap info

atlanticblue98

Reaction score
This guide was created and written by 3.8mustang.com member "JayLS5"

The supercharger:

The M90 supercharger is an older OEM ford blower made by Eaton. It is a roots style blower with the following characteristics:

The M112 blower WILL NOT WORK WITHOUT MAJOR FABRICATION.

The M90 was put on ford thunderbird SC models and cougar XR7's. They come intercooled from the factory, a very crappy one.

This was my modified SC engine from a year or so ago: http://www.radford.edu/~jseemuell/engine.JPG

It was originally produced in 1989. All were underrated. The 89-93 model setups have very poor flowing characteristics: blower's inlet, the inlet plenum, rotors, etc.

The 94-95 SC engines were upgraded. The plenum was improved, the rotors were Teflon coated for reduced temperature, and the throttle body was enlarged to 70mm from ~60mm to match the plenum. The 89 style received 30lb injectors and the 94-95 is 36lb with a better fuel pump. The setup was so more efficient that Ford put on a larger blower pulley to achieve the same boost levels that the previous models had received, and got a little more power. The 89-93 models were rated at 210hp/315tq, and the 94-95 were 230hp/330tq.

Most people end up finding the less efficient style for the swap. If you decide to run the stock 30lb supercoupe injectors, you will be limited to about 265whp and 350tq ? not too bad.

The stock boost is between 10-12 PSI, which depends on how well the engine flows. Of course, you have a large array of pulleys to choose from to put on your setup. An OEM 94-95 style on an 89-93 blower will reduce the boost 1-2 PSI. Conversely, an 89-93 OEM pully on a 94-95 blower will raise stock PSI by 1-2. Overdrive pulleys are available for each kind. One just has to use common sense; the 10% 89-93 style overdrive pulley will obviously be the smallest (the one in my engine picture). More overdrive is not necessarily better, as the already weak intercooler and crappy flowing parts get heat-soaked quickly. I wouldn?t even bother with a 10% on a near stock engine due to the immense heat increase that would negate much of the gains over the 5%.

More info: (mainly single port stuff, but important information as well)

Assuming you are just doing the swap onto your stock short block, you MUST upgrade the injectors and fuel pump. You MUST have dual exhaust at a minimal, or you greatly increase the chance of head gasket failure. The 94-95 V6 mustangs are a little easier to swap because the 96-98 changed a few things. The 94-95, however, should definitely consider using the supercoupe heads. The valvesprings are stronger, it flows a little better, but most importantly, it has improved cooling passages which greatly decreased head gasket failure (95 stangs had a recall). The supercoupes had head gasket problems as well, but this can be attributed to their stock exhaust system. It was terribly designed with a 90 degree bend and poor flowing parts... which netted an end result of 15psi of backpressure. Thankfully, a simple GT take off system will due for our cars, and we basically have shorty headers straight from the factory (as opposed to the SC's log style manifolds). Other than fuel and exhaust, we need a tune to go along with it after everything is assembled. These are the only NECESSARY factors; cam, rear end, high stall, clutch, etc will simply compliment the setup. Obviously, with an engine of this power, stock parts are more likely to break. If you have the ability to upgrade things while you?re in there, do it. Preventative maintenance is a good thing.

Split ports:

The stock fuel system is a bit better, but I honestly wouldn?t risk keeping this stock either. You must switch back to the return style fuel system anyway (255lph walbro is good). Of course, a tune is required. As we all know, split port mustangs have different manifolds and heads that offer much better flow over OEM single ports. In order to get the M90 to work on your car, you MUST go back to single port. This isn?t necessarily a bad thing, since there are several companies that offer single port heads that compete with PORTED split port heads. Big valve single-port heads would be a great improvement in flow over your stock split port engine?s. The only other setback of the single port design was the maximum throttle body size (60mm) that was limited by the upper intake manifold. Thankfully, the blower replaces this manifold and the inlet plenum connects to the throttle body. Even the stock, poorly flowing, 89-93 design plenum can be ported to accommodate a 70mm TB. The rotating assembly is comparable if not better than the supercoupe?s, so the splitport short block is actually preferred.

How to: (UPDATED)

Found a radiator hose that fits perfectly:
Upper Radiator hose from a 1992 Buick Roadmaster (if it matters its an estate wagon)

Changing the throttle cable is NOT NECESSARY! Slight "ghetto rigging" required, but it's definitely possible. I'll have pictures of it sometime soon.

Potential modifications:

One of the best parts about this engine is the platform! It is extremely easy to make power with these motors. Intakes, throttle bodies, inlet plenum/blower packages, raised supercharger tops (stock ones suck, the one featured in my picture is upgraded), two stock intercoolers welded together (aka dual IC), front mount IC?s, 600ish CFM intercooler fan (cheap 10hp on stock IC), etc etc etc.

Two places i can think of off of the top of my head are
http://www.supercoupeperformance.com/
http://www.magnumpowers.com/

:update:

This is a comparison between one of the aftermarket blowers offered by magnum powers (no longer their best model, but it serves as a basis of comparison).

The magnum powers blower is much better because they attach a new inlet and matching plenum, better rotors, and port the V opening. You can see how you can sort of do your own mild porting on your blower if you're careful with it.

Freebie modifications are great. While you are swapping this whole thing over, it?s very easy to gasket match and port the lower intake manifold (and heads if you want). The plenum can be ported significantly to support a 70mm throttle body. The blower ?V? can be expanded a bit to increase flow. Also, the blower?s silencer ports can be welded up, which increases the noise and power.

Where to buy?

Most ?complete? supercoupe swap kits are missing at least one or two miscellaneous items. I have seen people offer them anywhere from $250-700 on forums.

The best idea is to buy the whole motor or even the car. I paid $350 for a running supercoupe with high miles (but rebuilt top end and blower, the only thing that matters to me). Ebay and autotrader is the way to do it. One of the benefits of having the entire motor, besides having all the parts on hand, is learning how everything is put together as you take it apart.

Summary: It?s a LOT of work. It takes a LOT of time. It will cost about $1000-1500 if you are running a completely stock mustang with single pipe exhaust. In the end, a relatively stock SC setup can put you into low 14?s with near 100mph traps. A particular individual on this site that is a bit tired of being asked questions did this swap. It?s a single port auto, stock mustang short block, minor V porting on blower- not hard, stock GT exhaust, 2.73 open differential with BEYOND crappy tires. His best time was a 14.3x at 98.x

Those are 99-04 GT times, and he has enormous potential for improvement.

cnryYell0gt

Reaction score
This thread needs info on that the magnum II blower is obsolete and the MPx blower is now the top dog blower for an m90 set up. Also fairly soon there will be an m90 setup for split port engines available to the general public :thumbup:

OP
OP
atlanticblue98

atlanticblue98

Reaction score
cnryYell0gt said:
This thread needs info on that the magnum II blower is obsolete and the MPx blower is now the top dog blower for an m90 set up. Also fairly soon there will be an m90 setup for split port engines available to the general public :thumbup:

well Kevin, get me some more info and i'll add it in.

especially with the Splitport info ;)

cnryYell0gt

Reaction score
atlanticblue98 said:
cnryYell0gt said:

well Kevin, get me some more info and i'll add it in.

especially with the Splitport info ;)

a phelonic lower intake is in the works to make the m90 work on spliport heads. It may get down graded from a lower intake to just an adapter plate. Thats all the info i have on it at this time and probably all i will have for the next month.

as for the mpx blower. It's an aluminum blower case (you can buy it with rotors but it's much cheaper without) that is designed with much larger intake and exit ports so that it flows infinitely better than a stock m90. With proper mods these blowers can produce over 400 rwhp and hit the mid 400's in torque. To produce this kind of power you WILL need forged internals, a built rear end (to handle the torque), a 3 core intercooler, ported intake plenum, larger MAF, ported heads (preferably not stock), and the not required but recommended 10 rib pulley upgrade.

mustang38

Reaction score
i have an 89 sc engine that im planning on swapping into my 94 mustang v6 5 spd...what type of electrical modifications will i need to do to make all this work together

cnryYell0gt

Reaction score
mustang38 said:
i have an 89 sc engine that im planning on swapping into my 94 mustang v6 5 spd...what type of electrical modifications will i need to do to make all this work together

pigtails from the supercoupe and then just a tune and dual exhaust.

mustang38

Reaction score
what pigtails will i need and how do i tie them into the mustang harness

cnryYell0gt

Reaction score
mustang38 said:
what pigtails will i need and how do i tie them into the mustang harness

all of them. they should be a direct plug in to the ford harness iirc.

mustang38

Reaction score
anyone know where i can get a tune for this swap because superchips no longer makes one and neither does diablo or hypertech

cnryYell0gt

Reaction score
mustang38 said:
anyone know where i can get a tune for this swap because superchips no longer makes one and neither does diablo or hypertech

Dont go with any of those anyways. You WILL need a dyno tune after the swap. but you have to drive it to the shop so talk to justin at vmptuning.com he will make you a custom tune on a tuner.

OP
OP
atlanticblue98

atlanticblue98

Reaction score
cnryYell0gt said:
mustang38 said:

Dont go with any of those anyways. You WILL need a dyno tune after the swap. but you have to drive it to the shop so talk to justin at vmptuning.com he will make you a custom tune on a tuner.

this ^

Justin makes spot on temporary tunes

cnryYell0gt

Reaction score
atlanticblue98 said:
cnryYell0gt said:
mustang38 said:

this ^

Justin makes spot on temporary tunes

they actually run a bit rich but they're pretty freakin good tunes.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online