94 Cobra - Help Me Choose a Cam!

SN95Whip

Reaction score
I have recently decided that I would like to install a camshaft into my cobra, but I have some questions/issues. Any help would be great.

So heres where I am currently at, after all my research I was thinking I would like to put either a Crane 2031 or a Steeda #19. My car is basically full bolt ons as of right now.

I love the cobra intake so I'd like to keep it and don't have the funds to buy new heads so the GT-40's are gonna stick around, what camshaft would you recommend and what would I need to install it.

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
I chose the Steeda #19 because I felt it went better with my heads and also has a little more duration.

tykempster

Reaction score
I chose a B cam mostly because of the idle. So lopey. Runs pretty good with a mail tune, pulls much better up top with GT40P heads and intake.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I didn't have any more idle issues with my b-cam

This message courtesy of crapatalk!

rw95gt

Reaction score
I like my xe270hr-14. I can honestly say the car drives like stock. No idle issues or jerking and low rpm in gear. It really comes on at 4000 rpms and pulls strong. I only have 30 miles on it though. Sounds good. I'm running it with tfs 190 heads on a 306 though. Stock tune currently with supporting mods.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

cobrazilla

Reaction score
I have the Steeda 19 cam installed with valve springs and retainers that I ordered from them. I got it mainly because its suppose to work better with the finicky 94-95 ECU and also with blowers, of which I have a Vortech S Trim V2 blower. My car idles almost like its stock which is what I aimed for. Dynoed at 340 rwhp 380 lbs torque with 8 psi of boost.

chris91

Reaction score
None of the above. Have a custom grind done by Ed Curtis and you will be VERY happy with the results.

Doodler

Reaction score
Voted Steeda cam. I really liked it on my 94 cobra with the GT40 heads.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
no consideration for trickflow? I have a stage 1 but with trickflow heads and love the sound and power.

OP
OP
S

SN95Whip

Reaction score
I have the Steeda 19 cam installed with valve springs and retainers that I ordered from them. I got it mainly because its suppose to work better with the finicky 94-95 ECU and also with blowers, of which I have a Vortech S Trim V2 blower. My car idles almost like its stock which is what I aimed for. Dynoed at 340 rwhp 380 lbs torque with 8 psi of boost.

Is the steeda a good SC cam then? Vortech may be in the works as well

Nuttinbutcrumbs

Reaction score
How high can you rev now before it takes a dump?
I have a streetcar with this cam and a Vortech and it works well in the 3k-6k rpm range but generally shift around 5,600. It's pretty lopey though.
What rear gear do you have? That's something to consider when choosing a cam.
http://www.compcams.com/(S(nknifpvg...pany/CC/cam-specs/Details.aspx?csid=1045&sb=0
Ps:' I was using that cam and 2.73's and it was horrible. Driveability was much improved when I switched to 3.73's.
Oh and what will you need to install it beside gaskets would be springs and probably lifters.. You can reuse your rockers if they're in good shape. Oh and it'd be a good time to replace your timing set while its torn apart.
Don't Sext and Drive.

OP
OP
S

SN95Whip

Reaction score
How high can you rev now before it takes a dump?
I have a streetcar with this cam and a Vortech and it works well in the 3k-6k rpm range but generally shift around 5,600. It's pretty lopey though.
What rear gear do you have? That's something to consider when choosing a cam.
http://www.compcams.com/(S(nknifpvg...pany/CC/cam-specs/Details.aspx?csid=1045&sb=0
Ps:' I was using that cam and 2.73's and it was horrible. Driveability was much improved when I switched to 3.73's.
Oh and what will you need to install it beside gaskets would be springs and probably lifters.. You can reuse your rockers if they're in good shape. Oh and it'd be a good time to replace your timing set while its torn apart.
Don't Sext and Drive.

Car has 3.73's, I shift around 5,600 as well when i'm getting it, and plan was either piece a vortech together/ afr 185s and a cam/ or port gt40s, and a cam and fix stuff on car

Nuttinbutcrumbs

Reaction score
Car has 3.73's, I shift around 5,600 as well when i'm getting it, and plan was either piece a vortech together/ afr 185s and a cam/ or port gt40s, and a cam and fix stuff on car
The second option is a whole lot cheaper and with 6-8 lb of boost you'd be fairly close to 400 whp w out having the heads ported.
However, the AFR + blower would be some kind of monster, over 400 whp. But it will cost significantly more. If you think you're gonna go w new heads then don't buy a cam right now. Buy the heads and then buy a cam that will "match" them. If you buy now you'll probably be buying twice. To make the get the most out of the 185's you'll need "a lot more cam" than what will be suitable for the gt40's.
What other things need to be fixed? Remember when your adding significant amounts of power there will be added "stress" everywhere else. Do you have the suspension that can hold 400 hp? 400 whp is quite a lot for a street car. For that matter a 94/95 that makes 300 whp and has any rear end steeper than the 2.73 is plenty quick on the street. You'll be able to hang with the new stuff as long as the road doesn't get too long.. How much power are you trying to make?
To sum it up. If you go the AFR route, you'll need a new intake manifold or at bare minimum have your stock lower ported, and new cam and all that goes with getting a new cam. N/A you'll be in the 300-340 range but that hp will come in at a higher rpm.
If you do a cam swap only (gt40) heads you'll gain like 10 hp but at least you'd have "new and improved" valvetrain. If you add the Vortech 6-8#'s to your current set up with the stock cam you'll probably be in the ballpark of 350 maybe more. If this is a street car that might see the dragstrip once or twice a year, what I would do is keep the gt40's, get a cam that's in the .500 lift and 281 duration with the appropriate springs, a new timing set, and add a Vortech kit. You'll still be shifting around 5,600 but you'll be making over 100 hp at 5,600 than you are now.
Don't Sext and Drive.

Nuttinbutcrumbs

Reaction score
I like my xe270hr-14. I can honestly say the car drives like stock. No idle issues or jerking and low rpm in gear. It really comes on at 4000 rpms and pulls strong. I only have 30 miles on it though. Sounds good. I'm running it with tfs 190 heads on a 306 though. Stock tune currently with supporting mods.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comes on at 4K and at what rpm do you shift?

Don't Sext and Drive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rvseverson

Members online