94 Cobra rear end upgrade, what all do I need?

94RioRedSnake

Reaction score
I somehow managed to shear one of my rear axle studs on my 94 Cobra, and stripped two others. I was already planning on doing gears for Christmas but now I feel like adding stronger axles, studs, and a new diff. What all do I need??

I'm thinking a Detroit trutrac, 3.55/3.73 gears, and Moser 31-spline axles. Also a new diff cover, probably that slick Ford Racing piece. Are there kits with disposables and hardware that I need? I'm guessing I should do new bearings. Do the reluctor rings have to be replaced?

By the way I'm not going to do this myself. I do a lot of work on my car but I'd rather not work on the rear.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Go 3:73. It really wakes up the 302. Only do 3:55 if you were boosting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP

94RioRedSnake

Reaction score
Go 3:73. It really wakes up the 302. Only do 3:55 if you were boosting.

Yeah that's where I'm leaning. Long-term plans for the car are a big stroker Windsor which I would prefer a 3.55 for, but that's too far away to base my decision on. 3.73 makes more sense for the near-term.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
There was build thread on another forum where a guy did the exact same swap. He did a Windsor with a homemade twin turbo setup. Car was totally awesome for a cheap junkyard build. He did it to show what you could do on a strict budget. He had a v6 new edge and it was one of my favorite builds.

OP
OP

94RioRedSnake

Reaction score
There was build thread on another forum where a guy did the exact same swap. He did a Windsor with a homemade twin turbo setup. Car was totally awesome for a cheap junkyard build. He did it to show what you could do on a strict budget. He had a v6 new edge and it was one of my favorite builds.

That's awesome, do you happen to have a link to the build?

Flade

Reaction score
Hmmm, I’ve got a set of 3.55s I planned for my 94 GT. I assumed the 3.73 were better for a 4.6L since they love to rev. Wouldn’t 3.73s require a much higher power band? I have the follow8n* parts ready to gom GT40 heads & intake, BBK throttle body, CAI, OFF ROAD H pipe, hooker shorty headers. I plan on a good cat-back and Bama tuning chip. Haven’t decided on a cam yet. This will be daily driver, but I want it to be a bit more fun without ruining the fuel mileage.

OP
OP

94RioRedSnake

Reaction score
Hmmm, I’ve got a set of 3.55s I planned for my 94 GT. I assumed the 3.73 were better for a 4.6L since they love to rev. Wouldn’t 3.73s require a much higher power band? I have the follow8n* parts ready to gom GT40 heads & intake, BBK throttle body, CAI, OFF ROAD H pipe, hooker shorty headers. I plan on a good cat-back and Bama tuning chip. Haven’t decided on a cam yet. This will be daily driver, but I want it to be a bit more fun without ruining the fuel mileage.
Yeah, in stock form I think 3.55 might be better on the street. My next upgrade is going to be a brand new top-end to hopefully get another 1,000-1,500 rpm out of it though, so 3.73 it is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online

No members online now.