94 cobra track wheel help

Discussion in 'Road Racing' started by MJN, Sep 27, 2014.

1. MJN

MJN New Member

Hello all
    I've got a 94 cobra that has been sitting for about ten years that I would like to recommission as a d.e. track day car for my wife and niece. The car was used as a light track car in the past but most of the parts have been taken off including the track wheels. Does any one out there have any suggestions for relatively inexpensive track ready/safe wheels. Back in the day I was running bbs but don't want to put out that kind of money if I don't have to. Conversely if anyone has a spare/old/unused set that they are looking to get rid of please let me know
    thanks in advance
    mjn

2. Evilgt

Evilgt Member

I am using factory 17 by 03 Cobra wheels. They are some what light and factory strong. Paid 400 for them and they are working great for me. 275 tire on the front and 315 in the back.

I am also looking for a dedicated track wheel that isnt to expensive so I can run the cobra's on the street. I will be watching this thread to see what you or others find.

kyle

3. wmfateam

wmfateam Active Member

If I'm not mistaken, the Starfish wheels (99-04 GT i think) wheels are light and 17x8. I had a set and traded them for terminator wheels. You want to factor in the tire size you want to run. You want the tire sidewall to be even, or as close as possible, with the rim. I run a 275 on a 9.5 wide rim and it goes over just enough to protect the rim.

4. RichV

RichV Well-Known Member

MB makes some good track wheels a lot of open track guys use, cheap and easy to get. Enkei makes nice light wheels, but you'll pay for them.

Check out your local discount tire chain, look up the models you want online, and have them order you a set. The MB Weapon is a popular choice in my group.

5. Evilgt

Evilgt Member

The star fish are lite. The only problem I see is that a 275 is a little big for them. If I step my tire size down to a 255 I will use them with spacers to keep the track width maxed.

kyle

6. ba#97

ba#97 Well-Known Member

for light track duty that won't break the bank just go on American muscle and pick up a set of cobra r's or 10th anni's. not the lightest on the planet but....if it's just a d.e. car you aren't going for all out lap times anyways. 17x9 square setup on all 4 corners with a 275/40-17 will be perfect. I say that number because a lot of people run that size tire and you can easily by cheap take off slicks from race teams in that size.

7. MJN

MJN New Member

I found a set of "starfish" wheels local but they are listed as 17x9 which I don't think is correct, I also tried to look into the the mb wheels but I will have to figure out all the specs I need in order to see if they will be cost effective for me. As for the American muscle reproductions, I'm not sure who makes them but I have seen a few different sets of o.e racing brand wheels used for cheap but don't know if they would hold up enough. Any opinions?
    thanks again
    mjn

8. ba#97

ba#97 Well-Known Member

they hold up fine. I've seen so many cars running rep wheels on track it's ridiculous. they are a tad heavy but for what they are they work fine. I've seen rep corba r's, 10th anni's, cobra wheels, fr500's, etc etc. all of which you can find for cheap on CL. that being said....make sure you go with a square setup. 17x9 on all 4 corners. none of those 10.5in wheels in the back. it's unnecessary and completely cancels out your ability to rotate tires which is something that can be very convenient on an open track car. now if you're willing to spend a little extra cash, I've sworn by enkei's. love em. they make rpf1's in 17x9 as well.

I mean the AM rep wheels will hold up fine. idk what kind of wheels you're talking about to verify how good they are. I also ran rota's for a bit which are the poor mans volks and I didn't have any issues there either.

9. hotmustang95

hotmustang95 Active Member

100% For track days you don't need expensive or light wheels, unless you find them real cheap. I've been running my rep cobra Rs for years now.

10. Cobra/1997

Cobra/1997 New Member

Cobra R's are easy to find on most Craigslist sites.....

11. Northern_XS

Northern_XS New Member

Wrong thread :/

12. mcglsr2

mcglsr2 Well-Known Member SN95 Supporter

Depends on what you consider cheap. I run 17 x 9 Enkei RPF-1's - they weigh about 15 lbs each and are maybe $250 a wheel. $1000 or so for wheels, to me, is cheap - especially for wheels that are light and are track ready.