94 Cobra Twin Turbo

TT94SVT

Reaction score
94 Cobra Twin Mid Mount Turbo
Fun Facts

• no intercooler
  • externally wastegated
  • oil return is pumped
  • Exhaust: Headers---->Catless H pipe----->Turbos---->Pipe (no mufflers). Sounds like an airplane taking off
  • Crappy quality but here is an idle video (better quality videos with cool stuff to come)
  • [video=youtube;gDcYHW_pQ0U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDcYHW_pQ0U&feature=youtu.be[/video]
Whats next

• Built T56 trans
  • Dart Block/ New internals
  • Meth (INSTALLED!)
Background
I bought the car last year because it was in excellent shape and the price was very right. The car has always been stored in the winter but It is driven through fall and the spring. This car is not my daily driver but it most certainly drives like one. no idle or drive ability issues. I wanted to build the car to make it more fun. I'm not looking to be the fastest on the race track or the drag strip but I wanted my car to be fun. I have high horsepower goals for this car which is one of the reasons I went with two turbos. I was unable to fit the two turbos in the engine while still retaining AC and cutting holes in my engine bay. The turbos are mounted where the stock mufflers used to hang. Car also has 10 total speakers this includes 2 12inch subs.

If anyone has any questions just post below I put this whole system myself and I can tell you anything you want to know about the car. If you are planning on building one yourself be prepared for the haters.

cobra4_zps471502bd.jpg
cobra3_zpsa38935a5.jpg
cobra5_zps92eb5b52.jpg
cobra2_zpsc5e86f96.jpg
cobra_zpsebff987a.jpg

ElrodKTPQ_89

Legend
Reaction score
I think there are only a handful of turbo pushrod cars on here at all. I'd like to see some more pics of yours and maybe some details on the setup!

OP
OP
T

TT94SVT

Reaction score
I think there are only a handful of turbo pushrod cars on here at all. I'd like to see some more pics of yours and maybe some details on the setup!
I'm planning on doing a full write up soon here. mid mounts seem pretty rare on mustangs.

alex302

Reaction score
very cool setup!!!! more info and vids please

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Wow, a remote mount turbo setup! Don't see many of those on any car, much less pushrod Mustangs! I have read *a lot* of turbo books (a passion of mine) and have always wondered about these setups. It'll be nice to get some real-world experience from someone with the setup rather than just words from a page. And welcome to the site!

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Definitely going to be making some videos soon. This also was not a kit and designed and installed all by me and a few friends.

Looking forward to it, I've got lots of questions for you ;)

OP
OP
T

TT94SVT

Reaction score
Thanks the remote mount system is great. However depending on where you live ground clearance can be an issue, However if you are willing to sacrifice some ride quality for a ride thats a little more firm than it is awesome. the sound is great and the boost threshold is actually pretty low and the sound it makes is amazing. I'm trying to get a camera with a good enough external mic so that people can here how this thing sounds

OP
OP
T

TT94SVT

Reaction score
also my oil scavenge pump is loud this is an issue that can be addressed but it does not bother me

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Where do you run the cold pipes to get back to the intake? Are you intercooled?

OP
OP
T

TT94SVT

Reaction score
Where do you run the cold pipes to get back to the intake? Are you intercooled?
the cold side piping runs along both sides of the car tucked in to the best that I can. Lots of silicone was used to to bend around certain areas of the car so that I could maximize ground clearance. The car started off as inter cooled but I have removed the inter cooler because It was pretty unnecessary

Mustang Mark

Reaction score
Why not mount the turbos closer to the headers? I'm sure you'd get much better spool time if you did as well as a lot less piping.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Why not mount the turbos closer to the headers? I'm sure you'd get much better spool time if you did as well as a lot less piping.

^ That's why I'm looking forward to asking questions about his experience. Everything I've ever read and everything I understand about turbos tells me closer to the headers is better. Remote-mount is typically used when space is a serious issue. I'm really curious to see what his experiences are - mine are with turbos near the headers, never remote-mount - and while I like to read books and learn, there's sometimes a difference in what the book says versus real world experience. So... :)

OP
OP
T

TT94SVT

Reaction score
My end goal is very high horsepower so I decided to go with two turbos. As far as mounting two turbos in the engine bay there isn't much room if you want to keep ac and power steering as well as a stock hood. By spool time are you talking about the boost threshold? If so the boost threshold is pretty low, the spool is very fast, and the lag is non existent without the intercooler. Piping is super cheap so that's not really a huge issue.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I'm running low boost right now with my block. Once I get a new block i'm looking to do somewhere in the 20's

Do you plan to run an intercooler then? Is there some sort of "cooling" effect because your cold pipes are so long? And are you still running a MAF?

OP
OP
T

TT94SVT

Reaction score
Do you plan to run an intercooler then? Is there some sort of "cooling" effect because your cold pipes are so long? And are you still running a MAF?

Methanol injection would be my the cooling effect to keep my iat down. also the long cold side piping helps. and yes I am still running a Mass airflow sensor. the maf is a crucial part to EFI

OP
OP
T

TT94SVT

Reaction score
Engine bay stays really cool as well.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online

No members online now.