94 Convertible Roof Leak by Side Rear Window

tmwsccsh

Reaction score
Hi all,

Bit wet over here today and I noticed when getting in today that the seatbelt was wet. Whilst driving along in the rain I had a look around and I seem to have a slow but steady drip coming in from where the roof seals meet by the top of the rear side window...

IMG_20191214_1030500.jpg

Where those 2 rubber seals meet above the "fake" B Pillar.

Having had a poke around, it looks like there is water in the "tube" part of the seal to the right of that which is escaping slowly and dripping.

I've thought about just putting a small blob of black silicon sealant in the end of the rubber tubey thing but that's a botch really.

All seems tight enough and the outside has no obvious gaps and all is touching ok.

Passenger side looks the same but is not leaking.

Anyone got any ideas where it could be coming in from?

Sorry for not annotating the photo better - I'm out at the moment and sent this all from the mobile.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

TMW

Last edited:
OP
OP
tmwsccsh

tmwsccsh

Reaction score
I've had a thought.

I used to have a Toyota MR2 T-Bar and that had a leak from a seal similar to this. I got some strong, waterproof sticky-back foam and extended the seal - never leaked again.

Have just ordered a 3mm foam sheet from fleabay and will try that in the first instance. If it solves the problem as it did with the MR2 then £2.50 for the fix isn't bad!

And as you can't see that seal from the outside it won't even show.

Will advise how it goes once it arrives in a few days...

TMW

OP
OP
tmwsccsh

tmwsccsh

Reaction score
Just realised I forgot to update this.

The sticky foam trick seems to have worked - no more leak and all is dry after rain.

On another note, I'm getting the hood replaced - the leaking at the back both sides is driving me mad so a 1-piece with plastic window has been ordered - hopefully with me in 2-3 weeks so I can get it fitted early Feb.

Found a local guy who has done them before on SN95s who is going to charge around £300 to fit it so that is brilliant.

Regards

TMW