94 GT 5 speed tranny issues

FarRiderOfDeath

Reaction score
Hey guys, so even though I plan on putting a “beefyer” trans in the GT I wasn’t planning so soon. So with that said.

Idk if my shoes are too big and I’m not pushing the clutch down all the way but when I shift i get a weird noise. Like the gears are grinding. But it shifts smoothly. In fact shifts very well. I’ll try to post the video I took. And I also noticed if I don’t shift fast but accelerate then clutch in out of gear let rpm drop a little and the into gear it doesn’t make the noise. Never experienced this in other manual cars I’ve had.

Just kidding. Can’t post a video. I know it sounds stooopid but it’s like a grrrrrrrrrr. Not a growl and no like a typical grinding of gears.

If anyone knows how I can post a video in here please tell me and I’ll get her on here ASAP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Hey guys, so even though I plan on putting a “beefyer” trans in the GT I wasn’t planning so soon. So with that said.

Idk if my shoes are too big and I’m not pushing the clutch down all the way but when I shift i get a weird noise. Like the gears are grinding. But it shifts smoothly. In fact shifts very well. I’ll try to post the video I took. And I also noticed if I don’t shift fast but accelerate then clutch in out of gear let rpm drop a little and the into gear it doesn’t make the noise. Never experienced this in other manual cars I’ve had.

Just kidding. Can’t post a video. I know it sounds stooopid but it’s like a grrrrrrrrrr. Not a growl and no like a typical grinding of gears.

If anyone knows how I can post a video in here please tell me and I’ll get her on here ASAP.

Easiest way is put it on YouTube and then put the link here.

Have you adjusted the pedal?? Push it down and let it up. Then put your foot under it and pull it toward you. Listen foe a click. Might need to be done a couple or few times.

OP
OP
F

FarRiderOfDeath

Reaction score
Easiest way is put it on YouTube and then put the link here.

Have you adjusted the pedal?? Push it down and let it up. Then put your foot under it and pull it toward you. Listen foe a click. Might need to be done a couple or few times.

I have not. I didn’t know that was a thing. I do know for a fact pilot bearing is going out. In neutral foot off clutch she’s silent. Clutch in she makes all the noise. Clutch out silent.

I’ll try to upload it to the tube.

OP
OP
F

FarRiderOfDeath

Reaction score
Apparently I recorded it with a potato. But audio is decent. You’ll hear the noise just as I shift. This was first to second.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Start with the adjustment process I mentioned. After that see what it does.

OP
OP
F

FarRiderOfDeath

Reaction score
Start with the adjustment process I mentioned. After that see what it does.

I just tried to do that and it doesn’t move. Do you have a YouTube link of how to do it? Maybe I didn’t do it right? I pushed the clutch pedal to the floor and let it come up all the way. Then kept my heel on the floor and tried to pull up the pedal with the toe of my boot and nothing happened.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
If you didn’t get a click then it may already be at full adjustment.

[mention]lwarrior1016 [/mention] you know transmissions pretty well, what’s your thoughts.

Werecow

Reaction score
Try pulling up on the pedal with your hand while watching the linkage under the dash, that's where you should hear the click and see how it will take up another "notch" on the adjustment under that dash. I think @evilcw311 is on the right track with a clutch that's out of adjustment, perhaps with a sprinkle of a throw out bearing on its last legs. If you can't get any adjustments under the dash and don't have anyway else to adjust it, then you'll need to look at getting a firewall adjuster and possibly a new cable..

OP
OP
F

FarRiderOfDeath

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick responses. I’ll check it out. It greatly reduced when I switched boots to my romeos and wasn’t wearing my steel toe metatarsal cover boots. That may have been part of it.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
You gotta pull with a decent bit of pressure and the click isn’t always that loud. Like cow said, climb up in there and take a looksie

Chip66

Reaction score
The clutch adjustment described above is assuming the factory self-adjusting quadrant is still in the car. Aftermarket clutch quadrants have a manual adjuster in the engine compartment where the cable comes through the firewall.

A bent or worn clutch fork or worn pivot ball could keep the clutch from fully disengaging too. The fork will bottom out before the clutch is fully disengaged. This can be observed by removing the cover and observing the fork movement while someone else presses the clutch pedal.

Crappy aftermarket cables combined with stiffer clutches can suffer the problem too.

OP
OP
F

FarRiderOfDeath

Reaction score
You gotta pull with a decent bit of pressure and the click isn’t always that loud. Like cow said, climb up in there and take a looksie

I’m rather large. 325lbs. So we shall see if I can get up in there!!

OP
OP
F

FarRiderOfDeath

Reaction score
Here’s another video of what I perceive to be my throw out bearing. Feel like this might be a culprit in my shifting issues. Also I got under the dash and didn’t see and kind of ratchet mechanism. Saw the lever for the clutch going through some kind of electrical box that had a plug going into and the lever going through and some plastic looking rod. I’ll post a picture of that too.

Werecow

Reaction score
This is a pic of the adjuster and how it works under the dash. When you pull up on it if there is any adjustment left in it, it should go up one more notch on the plastic piece. If it's all the way up on the adjustment or it's been replaced then we need to go to plan B and look to see if it needs a cable, firewall adjuster, or something even deeper. Disregard the text in the pic, this is just the quickest way I could find a good pic of it for an example...IMG_20201104_205030290.jpg

Cheers!!

OP
OP
F

FarRiderOfDeath

Reaction score
I figured out where the quadrant is. I saw it on the bbk YouTube. I was looking up how to replace it and saw the quadrant I was looking in the wrong area on the clutch. I was looking straight up from the lever not over and above the gas pedal.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online