94 GT automatic to manual swap question

godfearingman

Reaction score
Hi I have a 94 GT automatic and I'm planning on doing a manual swap from and 95 GT I'm trying to see what all parts I'll need from the manual car? Other than the obvious like transmission, bell housing, clutch pedal assembly, and computer thanks in advance!

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Console is different I think. Don't quote me on that but I think they maybe unless it's just a difference in trim ring in which case you'd need that. Clutch cable.

This message courtesy of crapatalk!

OP
OP
G

godfearingman

Reaction score
Had someone tell me I'll need the steering column from the manual car that's one of my main concerns if I need that as well?

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
I did the swap 2 years ago. You'll need the following off a donor car.
T5 trans and bellhousing
5 speed pedal assembly
5 speed shifter bezel
Keep your auto crossmember, it's the same as a 5 speed one.
5 speed computer is a MUST
5 speed driveshaft
lower shift boot
all the bolts for the lower shift boot,
new parts
clutch kit
flywheel (stock ford one will do fine)
throwout bearing
pilot bearing
Go with ford racing for the bearings.
ford clutch cable.
there is a kit from MaximumMotorsports that has a ford clutch cable, firewall adjuster and aluminum clutch quadrant. I have the exact same kit, and it's the best you can get.
you'll need a shifter, stock or short throw, up to you
Besides that stuff, you should be good to go.
When you swap the 5 speed in, you'll have to cut out the hole for the shifter slightly bigger.

OP
OP
G

godfearingman

Reaction score
No sir you won't need anything like that.

Ok thanks didn't think so just wanting to make sure I'm talking to a guy who say's he'll sell me everything I'll need for $500 or $200 if I trade him part of the money with some almost new tire's I have off my daily when I put aftermarket wheels

ElrodKTPQ_89

Legend
Reaction score
Your steering column is fine. It just makes life a lot easier to take the steering shaft out when swapping the pedal assembly. That was honestly the worst part of the swap in my opinion. I took me driver seat out and had to lay on my back on the floor of the car and work upside down to remove everything. Dropping the entire steering column out would also make things easier but it's a little more work that isn't 100% necessary, it can be done without it.

+1 on all the other info above though. Don't do like me and trim out too much for the shifter to go thru the floor, it doesn't take much for it to fit. Nothing different about the console, you'll just need the shifter bezel from a 5 speed car if you don't plan on getting an aftermarket boot. And if you have the extra money to allow for it I would recommend an aftermarket crossmember. I used a Stiffler's crossmember when I did my swap along with a new trans mount, it rode unbelievably smooth. And the crossmember is much easier to work around than the stock one.

OP
OP
G

godfearingman

Reaction score
Your steering column is fine. It just makes life a lot easier to take the steering shaft out when swapping the pedal assembly. That was honestly the worst part of the swap in my opinion. I took me driver seat out and had to lay on my back on the floor of the car and work upside down to remove everything. Dropping the entire steering column out would also make things easier but it's a little more work that isn't 100% necessary, it can be done without it.

+1 on all the other info above though. Don't do like me and trim out too much for the shifter to go thru the floor, it doesn't take much for it to fit. Nothing different about the console, you'll just need the shifter bezel from a 5 speed car if you don't plan on getting an aftermarket boot. And if you have the extra money to allow for it I would recommend an aftermarket crossmember. I used a Stiffler's crossmember when I did my swap along with a new trans mount, it rode unbelievably smooth. And the crossmember is much easier to work around than the stock one.

Ok thanks everyone according to a buddy the columns are different said the buttons are different don't know what buttons he's talking about

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Ok thanks everyone according to a buddy the columns are different said the buttons are different don't know what buttons he's talking about

The buttons are the same. The difference is the shift interlock cable. Its the cable that goes from the shift up to the column. All you have to do is cut it off your current column. You will know what im talking about once you pull the auto shifter out of the consol.

OP
OP
G

godfearingman

Reaction score
The buttons are the same. The difference is the shift interlock cable. Its the cable that goes from the shift up to the column. All you have to do is cut it off your current column. You will know what im talking about once you pull the auto shifter out of the consol.

He's saying the button behind the ignition switch is different on the manual cars

OP
OP
G

godfearingman

Reaction score
Oh yeah, you dont have to worry about that.

I didn't know there's a button behind the ignition switch much less them being different between automatics and manuals I'm just making sure of all the parts I'll need off the manual car already have the list from here making sure I didn't need the column as well.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
I didn't know there's a button behind the ignition switch much less them being different between automatics and manuals I'm just making sure of all the parts I'll need off the manual car already have the list from here making sure I didn't need the column as well.

The manual cars have a lever that you push to take the key out. The automatics dont have that. You dont need the column.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online