94 GT Cobra brake upgrade about to start... Questions...

BlackStallion

Reaction score
Been a while since I've been here, but I'm finally about to start converting my 94 GT to Cobra brakes (all 4 corners), I've lurked around the internet and discovered that I appear to have the "smooth bottom" newer Cobra calipers. I have not yet measured the pistons to confirm, but I suspect they're the 40mm units.

That being said, I can't seem to find any definitive answer on if I need to swap my master cylinder to a different style so my brakes don't feel like crap when using them. Seems most threads on most forums the OP has a 96-up car. Can anyone confirm?

Anything else to look out for?

I have the rear brackets/anti-moan brackets, hawk pads, stoptech slotted rotors, all caliper bushing/pin kits for all calipers (will be ordering new caliper piston boots/seals today), Russell stainless braided hoses for 94 Cobra, which include aluminum crush rings, all banjo bolts to match calipers.

Thanks in advance!

(edit: if this needs moved to the brake tech section, my apologies)

Last edited:

BackinBlack

Reaction score
I did this about ten years ago on my '94 and I replaced my master cylinder with a Cobra unit. My rear brakes are still stock GT. I don't think you have to do it but it should make your pedal "feel" better.

Flade

Reaction score
I’m running Cobra breaks up front, stock GT in back. I have the rear Cobra brakes ready to go on. Using the stock MC it feels fine. When I need a new MC I plan to switch to a Cobra MC.

TrickVert

Reaction score
You're doing almost exactly what I did on my '95 in 2008. I kept the stock MC at the time. The pedal with the stock one was firmer than with the OEM brakes, but still very manageable. Just a couple years ago, I upgraded to a '93 Cobra MC (the brake line ports on the 94/95 Cobra unit are reversed), and it brought the braking feel back to just about stock. Worth the change, in my opinion, but not absolutely necessary.

waynenorcross

Reaction score
Been a while since I've been here, but I'm finally about to start converting my 94 GT to Cobra brakes (all 4 corners), I've lurked around the internet and discovered that I appear to have the "smooth bottom" newer Cobra calipers. I have not yet measured the pistons to confirm, but I suspect they're the 40mm units.

That being said, I can't seem to find any definitive answer on if I need to swap my master cylinder to a different style so my brakes don't feel like crap when using them. Seems most threads on most forums the OP has a 96-up car. Can anyone confirm?

I have the rear brackets/anti-moan brackets, hawk pads, stoptech slotted rotors, all caliper bushing/pin kits for all calipers (will be ordering new caliper piston boots/seals today), Russell stainless braided hoses for 94 Cobra, which include aluminum crush rings, all banjo bolts to match calipers.

Thanks in advance!

The '94/95 Cobra also had a unique master cylinder with a 1" piston bore to better match with the bigger caliper bores. You may want to try to find one. I have one somewhere. I used DiskbrakesRUs.com for stuff for my '94 Cobra and 1968 Mercury Comet that I was going to do a brake upgrade on.

waynenorcross

Reaction score

Thanks in advance!

One more thing. Some racing bodies don't allow slotted/drilled rotors because if a history of cracking under severe use. Slotted only may be fine.

joemomma

Reaction score
Following as I'm interested in this upgrade for my '94. Do you happen to have a complete (or mostly complete) parts list?

TrickVert

Reaction score
The '94/95 Cobra also had a unique master cylinder with a 1" piston bore to better match with the bigger caliper bores. You may want to try to find one. I have one somewhere. I used DiskbrakesRUs.com for stuff for my '94 Cobra and 1968 Mercury Comet that I was going to do a brake upgrade on.
The 94/95 Cobra master cylinder's line ports are reversed from those on the GT, so unless one wants to custom-bend new lines or come up with some sort of extension hoses, it will not fit up properly. Hence my recommendation on the '93 Cobra MC.

EDIT: By the way, the 94/95 GT cylinder bore is 1-1/16", the' 93 Cobra MC is 1", and the 94/95 Cobra is 15/16".

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BlackStallion

Reaction score
Following as I'm interested in this upgrade for my '94. Do you happen to have a complete (or mostly complete) parts list?

I will... soon-ish. I'm also trying to film the swap for my recently started YouTube channel. Which I'll show part numbers and whatnot.

OP
OP
B

BlackStallion

Reaction score

Good to know. Yes I think I'd like to eventually try to source one. Maximum Motorsports sells the conversion lines so wouldn't be a big deal. Just finding a good master cylinder is all.

TrickVert

Reaction score
Good to know. Yes I think I'd like to eventually try to source one. Maximum Motorsports sells the conversion lines so wouldn't be a big deal. Just finding a good master cylinder is all.
I didn't know there was a pre-fab solution for this. Back in '08 when I first did it maybe there wasn't (?). I never thought to look into it again. No matter, though, the '93 master is working well for me.

Last edited:

waynenorcross

Reaction score
Try Jim at Performanepartsinc.com. he has lots of rare stuff not showing on his website. Tell him Wayne said hello.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah